Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 6th bike I've owned, about the 20th bike I've ridden altogether including short bike swaps and rentals. I've ridden quite a bit at the racetrack and enjoy carving up corners more the speed and just enjoying the open air and raw mechanical feel of a bike. Also ride bicycle a lot as well.

Got through the first 300mi break in pretty quick, mostly just changing RPM and gear frequently and not riding too hard or too easy. Honestly, on a modern engine, I don't think its' that important. I think they run these bikes on a dyno at the factory anyway.

I've had 600cc, 900cc sportbikes, 1200cc big sport touring bikes and a little 250cc dual sport. This is like a ultra light 600cc sportbike with a freer reving, more responsive and powerful dual sport engine.

Easy to ride - silly easy to ride. Jumped right on and rode off with little effort in clutch modulation. Great clutch feel and smooth, predictable friction point and with the low gearing, it doesn't really matter. Only have to get to 5-6mph and you can roll on from there. Easy to balance. By far the lightest and smoothest gearbox I've ever owned. Makes my BMW 1200RT feel like a tractor (clunk clunk, clunk) and soft 1st gear engagement unlike my F4i and ZX9r (thunk). Brakes are plenty strong, great feel. Cheap suspension really isn't that bad. Rear is a little firm and a little heavy on compression dampening, but has adequate rebound dampening. Front fork is really soft, but gives good feedback. Seems dampened 1/2 way descent. Just needs stiffer springs and more preload unless your 120lbs maybe.

My 9 year old daughter loves riding on the back. Can barely tell that her 50lbs are back there. My wife sat on the back once, and that seemed a little bit much. OK for short trips and surprisingly not bad passenger leg room.

Ergonomics for commuting are excellent. A little forward, so your engaged and balancing wind blast and acceleration nicely, but comfortably upright. Reach is just about right for me. Not sure I'd change anything. I'm 5'11" and don;t mind a tall seat like my R1200RT that I put on the highest setting or my KLX250S, but the low seat is nice for maneuvering.

Engine is smoother than I expected. About as smooth as I think a single can be. Actually, might be less buzzy overall that any other bike I've owned. All others had some RPM where your hands could go almost go numb. The big Boxer included. You avoided certain cruising speeds. The bar end weights are I think rubber mounted so I think that's the key there. Really, the engine is a real gem. Has a nice bark from the induction at certain speeds so you know it's not a dirt bike and a good mechanical whirl from the cams to remind you it's not a lawnmower. Pulls strong up to about 60mph that starts to fizzle out a bit, but overall plenty of power for legal speeds. But the time it's out of power, there's more wind blast that I care to tolerate for long without tucking. Riding tucked to longer periods isn't very comfortable. Right now I'm OK with the 14T gearing. A good overall compromise. Might go 15T when i change out the chain maybe. Heat management seems fine. Engine is just too small to really make much heat. A lot of air seems to get directed down behind the bike to the rear wheels and under or out past your shins. Shins get a little warm but NOTHING at all like other bikes. F4i could roast your butt (glued foil under the seat), ZX9R roasted your whole leg. BMW roasted your feet (good thing in winter).

What would I change? Not much really. Maybe just a little bit bigger fairing and windscreen. Not much. I think for urban commuting that's it's designed for, under 60mph, and carving up corners and track use, it's about perfect. But for 65-75mph highway use, could use a little more protection. Even OK at 80mph for periods. Highway is only 65mph here, so don't do that much. Maybe 3-4HP more might be nice, mainl yjust holding the torque curve out above 9000 where power really flatens out and starts falling off. But honestly, it's not a fast bike, never will be, but the smooth, linear power delivery and near perfect fueling just works great. But it's a hoot ripping up through the gearbox on on-ramps. 2nd has you right in the meat of the powerband coming out of normal 90 degree street corners and you rip up through almost redline in 2-3-4 without hardly breaking the speed limit. On a GSXR1000 I rode you'd be doing 150mph at the top of 4th.

Overall, an excellent value and I'm glad I went with the CBR300R for the overall package over the R3 or Ninja. Those both cost more and has some other short comings. Plus I really like the more reserved and modern yet traditional sportbike styling. Especially in solid red (2015) without all the graphics.

I'm not sure you could find a better sportbike to learn on, a better city commuter with the narrow clipons.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I also have a 2015 in Millenium Red, and I agree with you about the looks. I also agree about the windscreen--I'm 6'5", so I really need to lift the airflow up. I will be on the highway a bit more often this year, so I think I'm going to try the Puig windscreen. The gearing I can't decide on. Calming the revs a bit would be nice, but my parking space has narrow access, so I'm already using clutch slip to get into it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I fitted a flip screen to my CBR. Made a vast difference to the ride. Cuts out most of the wind blast. I'm 5' 8".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. I also have a 2015 in Millenium Red, and I agree with you about the looks. I also agree about the windscreen--I'm 6'5", so I really need to lift the airflow up. I will be on the highway a bit more often this year, so I think I'm going to try the Puig windscreen. The gearing I can't decide on. Calming the revs a bit would be nice, but my parking space has narrow access, so I'm already using clutch slip to get into it.
Just keep working on feathering it. Don't need any revs if your really smooth at the engagement point unless it's a incline... you can ride about 3-4mph with no clutch at all.

I'm thinking a ZG double bubble screen might work. Not sure I could do the Flip. Too intrusive for my taste. Would be cool to have a short screen that maybe slid up from behind the existing one. I have some extra plexi at home. Might be fun to cut one out and see what I could come up with. Not sure what to use for tracks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice review. I think you hit the point. The CBR300R is really great for city and still good for country roads. I installed the 15T sprocket and replaced the windshield, but only to have a nicer look (dark screen). Wind protection is o.k. for me, since the bike does not go very fast.

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts