Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Less than a hundred miles and the chain was looser than a ******** (edited for content)********. Here's to all the guys who this is their very first bike. Check your stuff before and after every ride. Only takes a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Less than a hundred miles and the chain was looser than a ******** (edited for content)********. Here's to all the guys who this is their very first bike. Check your stuff before and after every ride. Only takes a couple of minutes.
I have to ask lol... how old are you?

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Ha! Love the analogy, yeah you'll find the first 500 miles you may have to adjust it up to three times until the initial stretch is taken up, but after that it should be sweet for ages.
Enjoy your new toy :)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Less than a hundred miles and the chain was loose...
What do you consider to be too loose?

Chain free play should be adjusted to a minimum of 1" (25 mm) of free play, as measured at mid-point on the lower chain run. Also, that 1" measurement should be done at the tightest point in the chain rotation. If the free play is adjusted any tighter than the 1" minimum, you can expect a much shorter service life from the chain & sprockets.

I've been running mine at about 1.25" of free play, which has been consistent now for the past 10,000 miles without any further adjustments... I did the first adjustment when I got the bike home from the dealership, as it was set a little too tight, and then a small adjustment at the 2nd service at 4000 miles to compensate for some initial wear. BTW, drive chains do not "stretch", rather they wear... as the clearance between the pins and roller bushings increases ever so slightly due to wear, the overall length of the chain becomes longer.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Less than a hundred miles and the chain was looser than a ******** (edited for inappropriate content)********. Here's to all the guys who this is their very first bike. Check your stuff before and after every ride. Only takes a couple of minutes.
PM sent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts