Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

12 pound rear tire

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  kiwi rider 
#1 ·
Pirelli Sport Demon Tire - Rear - 140/70-17 , Position: Rear, Tire Size: 140/70-17, Rim Size: 17, Load Rating: 66, Speed Rating: H, Tire Type: Street, Tire Construction: Bias, Tire Application: Touring 1403900

12 pounds and looks like a nice tire, lighter than the 12.7 pound Duro tire.
This 12 pound tire will make a big diference especially if you want to drop RPM by decreasing tooth count to 33 on CB300F or CBR.

#5 ·
Wow I didnt realise that the IRC's are so weighty. I'm gonna wait until my originals are stuffed then upgrade to some lightweights like the Pirelli you mention. Dont suppose you know how much Michelin Pilots weigh?

Saw an interesting post in the CBR250 Forum about the CBR's having a too wider front tire for their 2.75 inch rim. Apparently a 100/70 is more suitable. This would be lighter as well obviously ;)

#6 ·
The truth about my ideas

A 33 or 34 tooth sprocket will not fit the back because the chain touches the sprocket bolt hub or what it screws into. Put a 15 tooth on the front. Put a 11.1 pound pirelli radial on the back and it sits a little higher further bumping up gear ratio. Between the sprocket and the slightly taller tire the gear ratio is much better for me but now I have to buy a speedo healer , my display indicates about 5 mph slower than I am going. Now it has slightly less take off but tacks 6500 at about 70 mph. Very satisfied with change. Still have plenty of power.

#7 ·
There's no doubt that that the stock IRC road winner that comes stock on the Honda 300 isn't the tire we would run if we were scraping our knees in the corners would be our choice. However......if your just riding your bike on the streets like me ,it's really not a bad tire. When they wear out will I go to something else? Of course .......but in the mean time let them actually get worn in and put some miles on your bike before you judge them harshly......I think you'll be surprised . Just my opinion.

#9 ·
I am 245 pounds and had to get the 11.1 pound pirelli radial to keep my power up with a 15 tooth front sprocket. Also put titanium sprocket bolts on, dropped rpm at 70 mph to about 6500 rpm but have to get a speedo healer. It still has plenty of power and more comfortable riding high speed at a lower rpm.

#11 ·
Heck you dug into the archives there! Louie hasn't logged on since December '14.
He was one of those guys all full of theories but few of them were actually put into action. He was trying to tell me at one stage that you can fit a 33 tooth titanium sprocket to the rear of the CBR, which you cant. 34 is as small as you can go. I know this because I actually did it, That's the difference.

I do remember looking into tire weights and I think the Bridgestone S20 Evo was the lightest at that time. Could be wrong. I do remember the Michelins that I had on were one of the heavier tyres.

#12 ·
I saw that sprocket thread. Got 8 pages in. Tab is still open as I plan to skim through the last 30 pages eventually. I'm still on the fence about what FDR I want.

As for lightest tires, Diablo Rosso II's might be it. Would be nice if the Rosso III's came in our size.

#14 · (Edited)
I think I saw these figures in an on-line tyre shoot out. May be able to find it. Quiet winters evening here so anything is possible... ;)

Late edit: Found it, it's three year old info tho.

The weights are in the text box as they announce each tyre.
These are all 150 tyres but the Bridgestone was the lightest at 19.8 lbs for the set.

#17 ·
Not sure about the weight, but I've narrowed my replacement tires down to the S20 Evo's and these Sportmax GPR300's. Apparently they are OEM on the Ninja 400.
That's correct. Was very pleased to get these as an OEM tyre on an entry level bike.
I rate them in all areas except longevity, as you suspected! It's always a trade off grip vs longevity eh.
I've only got a bit over 3,000 km on my bike and already I can see a flat spot on the rear forming. But the Ninja has 15HP on the CBR and I've been doing a lot of short blasts rather than long touring and no commuting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.