Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its that time when I must replace the chain and sprockets as well as brakes on my bike. I found a chain and sprocket kit fine but Im concerned about riveting the master link myself. Has anyone done this operation themselves? Any tips or recommendations on what breaker/riveting tool I should use? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,545 Posts
I was looking for a tool myself a few years back and everybody said the same to me: This is a heavy duty operation, dont buy a cheapie or you will regret it.
Most people seem to be using and recommended the Japenese made DRC Pro Chain Tool. It does three operations. Breaks the old chain, presses the new link plates together and rivets the pins.
- DRC PRODUCTS -

It's not the cheapest option but if your going to continue to do this sort of work then worth the money easily.

They have a Youtube clip on using it:

·
Registered
59 Posts
The last chain breaker I owned was a simple cube affair that worked perfectly. I no longer have it and doubt if my annual mileage and todays chain quality would warrant keeping one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought a cheapo and sorta kinda broke it on the first chain? TBF it was the harbor freight kit that only bills itself as a breaker (not a riveter).

Last I knew my 300 was still running around with that chain intact tho, so knock on wood

Agree it's not the most used tool.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Had to replace the chain on my CBR300 when a link seized and couldn't be freed at 10250 miles. Put on a DID VX gold. Have a heavy duty chain tool so ready for when I have to replace chain on my CB300R.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you have never done it--don't try it--bad things can happen if done wrong-look at EK chains they make a non clip pressure fit master link that doesn't require a special tool-also let me say I have changed to many chains in my life to remember and EK brand is the biggest bang for the buck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts