Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising on highway and all of a sudden, it hesitated while I was on full throttle, i backed off a little bit, than i continued riding and it did it again, than I started to loose power, then it started to choke and right after that engine died on me. I had to pull the clutch in, it locked it self up.

When I tried to crank it, it was not turning, it was doing a clink noise and nothing...

I am build race cars, I know internals and everything, i did 3 oil changes, and it was burning oil like ****. It got 11000 miles on it.

Took it to Honda Glandale and they told me that it is not covered under warranty.

They are estimating $1200.

What do you guys suggest/think/advice?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
It sounds like your engine has seized. That's not too surprising if it was using lots of oil, it probably ran out of the stuff.
How come you didn't take it to the dealer earlier when it started burning oil?
Also, why wont they honor the warranty now? Did you do something to breech the conditions of the warranty or have you done too many miles?
11,000 is a lot of miles - you've been busy! Here in New Zealand we get a 2 year unlimited mile warranty on these bikes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry about your bike. You made a couple of the first and best rider videos on YouTube. I guess if you are handy, you could save some money and put a new engine in it. I would just pay the $1200 and get back to riding asap especially if the dealer already has the bike and is ready to fix it. I might also trade the bike in with a bad experience like that. I too have had to add a little oil over the past 2500 miles, about a quarter cup to get the level back so my bike does burn a little oil. The crankcase is small so you notice any oil usage. We all need to keep an eye on our oil levels if that was the problem? Was there oil visible in the sight glass after the engine failed?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be able to see the oil, you need to tilt the bike like 30 degrees. I had a Mulholland Hgwy trip with a passenger, that trip consumed a lot of oil I guess, then I had in in minde, but being always in a hurry is not an excuse... I am heading towards bike shop and see the internal components, I'll post the updates...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just checked my oil this morning before heading out for work and it's at the low line so I left it parked and drove the car, instead.

What's the type/weight of oil for the 300R/F again? I want to pick up a bottle on the way home but I don't have my owner's manual handy.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I was cruising on highway and all of a sudden, it hesitated while I was on full throttle, i backed off a little bit, than i continued riding and it did it again, than I started to loose power, then it started to choke and right after that engine died on me. I had to pull the clutch in, it locked it self up.

When I tried to crank it, it was not turning, it was doing a clink noise and nothing...

I am build race cars, I know internals and everything, i did 3 oil changes, and it was burning oil like ****. It got 11000 miles on it.

Took it to Honda Glandale and they told me that it is not covered under warranty.

They are estimating $1200.

What do you guys suggest/think/advice?
Sounds to me like the classic "Oil filter installed backwards" issue... a number of CBR250R owners have inadvertently installed the oil filter backwards, only to experience the same or similar "I was cruising on highway and all of a sudden, it hesitated while I was on full throttle, i backed off a little bit, than i continued riding and it did it again, than I started to loose power, then it started to choke and right after that engine died on me. I had to pull the clutch in, it locked it self up."

If that is what caused the failure, then of course the repair would not be covered under Honda's warranty. If it wasn't a case of the oil filter being installed backwards, but rather just too low of an oil level in the crankcase, that also would not be covered under warranty.

As kiwi rider asked, if it was burning oil why wasn't it taken into the dealer at that time? That would have been covered under warranty back when you first noticed it. As it is, it's too late for that claim to be valid.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having issues with oil consumption about 2000 miles in. I had to fill quite a bit to get it level again (while on my rear swingarm). Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I'm having issues with oil consumption about 2000 miles in. I had to fill quite a bit to get it level again (while on my rear swingarm). Is this normal?
"Normal" depends on how much you've had to add, and over how many miles... if you believe that it may be burning oil, get it back to the dealer and have them check it out, which also documents it as a possible problem.

BTW, you should be checking the oil level with both tires on the ground, not with the rear wheel up on a paddock stand, which will cause the level to look lower than it actually is. Probably goes without saying, but the bike also needs to be sitting on level ground (not even on a slight incline) to get a proper and accurate reading of the oil level.

And while I think most of us here know this already, it bears repeating that the bike must be held up vertically (off of the side stand) in order to see the proper oil level in the sight glass. Believe it or not, more than a few CBR250R owners in the past have overfilled their engines with an extra liter of oil, after not seeing any oil in the sight glass while the bike was parked and leaning on the side stand. I know... hard to believe, but it's true.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Many bikes burn a little oil, but so little that you never have to add oil between oil changes. You shouldn't have to add much oil. I mean if it lost a half pint in 2000 miles, I would be concerned and get it back to the dealer. Bad piston rings would do it or an oil leak somewhere would be the most likely causes. I wouldn't expect the engine to fail if the oil level was down by even 50 percent. Normally engines die when there is almost no oil due to an oil pump failure, lost oil plug or filter.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Many bikes burn a little oil, but so little that you never have to add oil between oil changes. You shouldn't have to add much oil. I mean if it lost a half pint in 2000 miles, I would be concerned and get it back to the dealer. Bad piston rings would do it or an oil leak somewhere would be the most likely causes. I wouldn't expect the engine to fail if the oil level was down by even 50 percent. Normally engines die when there is almost no oil due to an oil pump failure, lost oil plug or filter.
Plus... it's a Honda! :devil:

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
As I said previously, the OP's failure could be due to the oil filter having been installed backwards, which would result in the top end of the motor getting little to no oil. Then all it takes is running it at sustained high RPM's... game over.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
and it was some non honda filter..
obvious first port of call..
... which also means that the last oil filter wasn't installed by a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There is no point revving these long stroke singles to the red line 10,500rpm.After you go past 8,500rpm you are making less power.
I keep my revs between 7,000 and 8,500rpm when on the bendy roads and about 5,000-6000rpm in the city traffic.
In the 80's I was riding a Yamaha RD350LC as my only transport so I am well used to my foot going up and down like a fiddler's elbow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The bike shop was closed and It is not about the filter being installed the wrong way. I read all about it, and was paying attention about filter direction which means I put it in just like it came out at the first time... Will give you the updates tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
as one might expect mate,, but still, for first diagnosis of
some problem, its always prudent to check on last
identifiable process or change, before the fault..

in your engine performance situation
that first thing would include
the oil change/and filter..

its happened before..

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can see where reversing the oil filter would be a problem even though the inside has the o-ring seal and the outside is marked outside. That may just be the OEM filter though. So if the filter doesn't seal with the o-ring, a lot of the oil just falls back into the crankcase and doesn't circulate? Would that also cause the bike to burn oil?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts