Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to say I love the new CBR650F

This is the bike that will appeal to your practical and emotional sides. A truly fun ride at a great price, it's what Honda does like no one else. Built around a smooth, inline-four engine specifically tuned for low-to-midrange torque, the CBR650F has a powerband that's suited for a wide range of riding styles.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This video is awesome. I love how it mimics a video game. More and more the lines between virtual and physical are being blurred now. Google Glass anyone?

This bike looks like a really fun ride though. How much money does it go for?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
$8500 for the non-ABS, $9000 for the ABS equipped model (USD)

That CBR650F is not a "beginners" bike though, not by a long shot... even the Honda CBR500R is more bike than what most new first time riders can handle. Believe it or not, a fair number of new first time riders find the CBR250R a challenge to ride... despite what you read, see, and hear from other people, riding any motorcycle for the very first time is not an easy thing to do. There's a reason that you see a fair number of used, low mileage "beginner motorcycles" for sale on places like Craigslist, often with only a couple hundred miles on the odo. And despite the low miles, these bikes often have the tell-tale "beginners" scratches on the fairings, turn signals and mirrors. It's sometimes surprising how many of these sellers, when asked why they are selling their bike, will be honest and upfront in saying that motorcycling just wasn't for them... fair enough.

But, despite all the sound advise from experienced riders (like myself) given to new first time riders, to instead buy a decent used bike as their first motorcycle to learn on, and make their beginner mistakes on (and everyone does, as we were all beginners at one point) it seems that more often than not this advise just falls on deaf ears. Today, it seems as though nearly every newb with zero experience has to have that shiny brand spanking new motorcycle. For whatever reason they think that nothing else will do. So, Johnny Noob rushes down to the local motorcycle dealer and throws down nearly every last cent he's got to his name on that shiny metallic green "eye candy" Ninja 300, and attempts to ride off into the sunset (after stalling it three times in the dealers parking lot, of course). From there it's only a matter of time, usually a few days, before Johnny Noob drops his new piece of two wheeled eye candy on the pavement. Johnny is heart broken... his pride and joy isn't as pretty as he remembers it was parked in the showroom just last week. And so the story goes...

Oh well... those of us older, more experienced motorcyclist's can only try to help out new riders by offering sound advise. As that old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". ;)

Reactions: Bodie177

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh well... those of us older, more experienced motorcyclist's can only try to help out new riders by offering sound advise. As that old saying goes "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink". ;)
To be honest mate, it's not what you are trying to say , it's how you are saying it.

For me, the cbr300r was going to be a fairly cheap starter bike to ride for a year or so, and as it was new ( and I hopefully didn't crash it ;) ) would have a respectable resale/trade-in value after a year.

Now the 300 release date has gone **** up for this year , I have decided to go for the next one up. I wanted something brand new ( well almost its ex-demo ) that is not expensive to insure ( just £150 more than my msx125, which is bloody cheap imo ).

Your post had some great info in it, but was very generalistic labeling "nearly every newb with zero experience" as bad.

In the end what you were trying to get across ended up sounding quite patronising .

Hope this made sense and i'm not trying to offend you back.

edit: the cbr650f looks great, it would be my preferred upgrade route when compared to a cbr600rr

·
Registered
528 Posts
nothing is written in stone

in general a higher CC motorcycle isn't as suitable to learn on but its not impossible

I've met some folks who learn on some very powerful motorcycles and are great riders today.

And I also know some who started on 250s to only get into major accidents a few days after the course.

Its just not for some people. Just like driving. Some people just DON'T KNOW how to drive. Regardless of what car it is they will crash. A more powerful car just means they will crash faster and with more force.

I don't think the CB500R is a bad starter bike. It is pricey but I wouldn't say its too powerful.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I too think that the CBR650F is not a good beginner's bike. While looking into the used market is definitely a good idea, I don't fault people for wanting a new bike of their very own as their first. Sure, some people end up selling it because they don't like riding, but for every one of those that there is, there are others who take to riding really quickly and wholeheartedly.

The thing about advice is that it is easy to give, but hard to take.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$8500 for the non-ABS, $9000 for the ABS equipped model (USD)

That CBR659F is not a "beginners" bike though, not by a long shot... even the Honda CBR500R is more bike than what most new first time riders can handle. Believe it or not, a fair number of new first time riders find the CBR250R a challenge to ride... despite what you read, see, and hear from other people, riding any motorcycle for the very first time is not an easy thing to do. There's a reason that you see a fair number of used, low mileage "beginner motorcycles" for sale on places like Craigslist, often with only a couple hundred miles on the odo. And despite the low miles, these bikes often have the tell-tale "beginners" scratches on the fairings, turn signals and mirrors. It's sometimes surprising how many of these sellers, when asked why they are selling their bike, will be honest and upfront in saying that motorcycling just wasn't for them... fair enough.
I think that's one of the reasons why some newbs try to veer away from used bikes like this, they rather start fresh with something new, something they don't have to worry about as much. But a large portion of those guys end up damaging a mint bike. Might as well get a used 250 or 300, get used to it, and once you're comfortable then get something brand new or used (in good condition of course)

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Red version...

Still haven't seen the Blue version for the U.S. market.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
the single headlight style is old school. which is nice

why buy this compared to a 600rr?
- It's MSRP is $3000 less than the 2014 CBR600RR.

- It has a more upright riding position than the CBR600RR, which will make it better suited to sport touring, and more comfortable when riding for extended periods of time than the 600RR.

- Higher fuel mileage than the 600RR... it's power output is about 87 horsepower, compared to the 600RR's 105-110 HP.

- Cost of insurance will be lower than that of the CBR600RR (other insurance rating factors being equal).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What an amazing side profile, i love it, especially the exhaust as it looks super clean to me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
- It's MSRP is $3000 less than the 2014 CBR600RR.

- It has a more upright riding position than the CBR600RR, which will make it better suited to sport touring, and more comfortable when riding for extended periods of time than the 600RR.

- Higher fuel mileage than the 600RR... it's power output is about 87 horsepower, compared to the 600RR's 105-110 HP.

- Cost of insurance will be lower than that of the CBR600RR (other insurance rating factors being equal).
ahh makes sense

thanks for the knowledge mike.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Unfortunately, that review on the CBR500R forum is somewhat hard to read... perhaps English is not the first language for the guy who wrote it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't find it that hard to read. I like how he broke up the review into different sections. Makes it easy to read about just one aspect of the bike if that's what you are interested in.

Thanks for posting this up @cubanski.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
is it only available in asia at the moment ? like can you walk in and buy one in the US?
The CBR650F is due to be available at U.S. Honda dealerships within the next couple months, hopefully by the first of June.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts