Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Details here: 2014 Yamaha YZF-R125 Debuts for Europe

From the Asphalt & Rubber article...

"Yamaha chose this year’s MCN London Motorcycle Show to announce the release of an updated version of the Yamaha YZF-R125 sports bike, which is scheduled to hit dealers in the Europe this April.
For 2014 the performance numbers remain largely unchanged from the 2013 model, still claiming 14.75 hp at 9,000 rpm, and just over 9 lbs•ft of torque at 8,000 rpm.

As a small displacement sports bike targeted for young riders and learners, Yamaha decided to upgrade stability and stopping power by coupling an upside-down front fork, a new radial front brake caliper design that clamps down on a 292 mm floating disc, along with a redesigned rear suspension linkage.
Riders of the 2014 model will notice a moderate gain in fuel efficiency due to a new fuel injection system that Yamaha claims is an 11% increase over last year’s model. The fairings have also been redesigned, and now include an air duct between the R6-styled headlights.
Other ancillary improvements include fully digital LCD dash, diagnostic display showing MPG, engine temperature, and speed data.

Cosmetically, there is a redesigned muffler and tail light alongside a host of aluminum pieces such as the shift lever, brake pedal, and footrests for the passenger.
All these improvements come with a cost though, as if one scrolls down to the bottom of the spec sheet, we find that the new YZF-R125 weighs in just shy of 309 lbs., putting on almost five pounds in the past year.

The 2014 Yamaha YZF-R125 should retail in April for €4,490 ( and sport three color options, Anodized Red, Matte Grey and Race Blue. Unfortunately, the 2014 Yamaha YZF-R125 is not expected to hit the US market."

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yea I remember seeing this when it debuted a few weeks back at AutoExpo. I'm wondering if this will dictate the styling updates for R1 and R6 or if they will take more from the R25 which should debut next week ;)

oh and suppose congratulations are in order Mike, I've just noticed you received a promotion. Easy on the ban hammer ya hehehhhh

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
wait this debuted in the past right? this isnt the one that yamaha is suppose to launch in a few days?
This thread is about the new 2014 YZF-R125, which debuted last month in the UK.

The bike that is to be announced next week is the YZF-R25.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In all black it looks like a beast! Love it!
It's actually more of a two tone gray. The red version is called Anodized Red.

I like the blue version myself... unfortunately, this YZF-R125 is another bike we won't see in the U.S. I'd think that Canadian Yamaha dealers might get it, since Honda sells the CBR125R in Canada.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This bike should look pretty identical to the r25 that is supposed to be coming out in the next week though. I am a fan of the red paint job here. I like that it still uses a lot of black in order to balance out the red. If Yamaha gets out its r25 or r3 before Honda gets out the CBR300, which is likely, I could see many buying that instead.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This bike should look pretty identical to the r25 that is supposed to be coming out in the next week though. I am a fan of the red paint job here. I like that it still uses a lot of black in order to balance out the red. If Yamaha gets out its r25 or r3 before Honda gets out the CBR300, which is likely, I could see many buying that instead.
I don't know about that, theres the one line sketch teaser of the R25 profile, if you compare that with R125 there are clear differences...

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This bike should look pretty identical to the r25 that is supposed to be coming out in the next week though...
From what I can see, the R125 and R25 will be very different bikes as far as the details go... inverted front fork on the R125, conventional fork on the R25, box section frame on the R125, round tubular frame on the R25, just to name a couple main differences... besides a few nuts & bolts, I really doubt there will be any identical parts shared between these two bikes.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was always told the r25 uses the same frame as the r125.
In these photos you can see the chassis differences between the two bikes...

R125

R25 Concept

Comparing this photo of the R25 Concept to the line drawing below, the rolling chassis components (Frame, Wheels, Fork, Swing arm, etc.) on the Concept bike appear to be the same as what is depicted in the R25 line drawing...

·
Registered
528 Posts
the R25 design takes some good inspiration from the R6 from what I can tell

I read that the R25 uses the R15 chassis. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably..

·
Registered
532 Posts
the R25 design takes some good inspiration from the R6 from what I can tell

I read that the R25 uses the R15 chassis. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably..
no sir, R15 uses a steel spar frame and the R25 is supposed to use a steel tubular. At least the concept did...

BTW here is a new production render based on the line drawing..

·
Registered
707 Posts
It's actually more of a two tone gray. The red version is called Anodized Red.

I like the blue version myself... unfortunately, this YZF-R125 is another bike we won't see in the U.S. I'd think that Canadian Yamaha dealers might get it, since Honda sells the CBR125R in Canada.
Now that i look back at it again I an see it, thanks for pointing that out.

It sucks that we wont get this, I have a feeling it would do well in America, what do you think?

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
... It sucks that we wont get this, I have a feeling it would do well in America, what do you think?
I honestly don't know if Yamaha could sell enough of these 125's here, or not. Personally, I find that it has a lot of appeal, although being 6' 2" I'm a bit too big for the ergonomics of most Yamaha sport bikes*, not to mention that at 195 lbs. with full riding gear on, I'm just a little too heavy for a 125 motor to haul around all day long.

The thing about the U.S. motorcycle market, is that it is really dominated by big displacement bikes, and mostly cruisers at that. For the past 10 to 15 years, sport bike sales have amounted to a relatively small piece of the pie. While in the last couple years the CBR250R and Ninja 300 have increased the overall sales numbers in the U.S. sport bike segment, by attracting both new riders as well as drawing previous riders back into the sport, I think that the 250/300 engine size is really kind of the lower limit of what people will buy here. As I said previously, a 125cc motor really isn't going to perform that well for a rider who, with full gear, weighs more than 150 lbs. And if a prospective buyer can purchase a current 250cc/300cc sport bike for about the same amount of money as what this YZF-R125 will cost, well it's kind of a no-brainer.

* For me, the Yamaha R6 feels very small and cramped, as compared to the ergo's of the Honda CBR600RR... Yamaha's 600cc & liter sport bikes have always been very much "track" oriented bikes, with little to no concession to street comfort.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I honestly don't know if Yamaha could sell enough of these 125's here, or not. Personally, I find that it has a lot of appeal, although being 6' 2" I'm a bit too big for the ergonomics of most Yamaha sport bikes*, not to mention that at 195 lbs. with full riding gear on, I'm just a little too heavy for a 125 motor to haul around all day long.

The thing about the U.S. motorcycle market, is that it is really dominated by big displacement bikes, and mostly cruisers at that. For the past 10 to 15 years, sport bike sales have amounted to a relatively small piece of the pie. While in the last couple years the CBR250R and Ninja 300 have increased the overall sales numbers in the U.S. sport bike segment, by attracting both new riders as well as drawing previous riders back into the sport, I think that the 250/300 engine size is really kind of the lower limit of what people will buy here. As I said previously, a 125cc motor really isn't going to perform that well for a rider who, with full gear, weighs more than 150 lbs. And if a prospective buyer can purchase a current 250cc/300cc sport bike for about the same amount of money as what this YZF-R125 will cost, well it's kind of a no-brainer.

* For me, the Yamaha R6 feels very small and cramped, as compared to the ergo's of the Honda CBR600RR... Yamaha's 600cc & liter sport bikes have always been very much "track" oriented bikes, with little to no concession to street comfort.
Good points. A lot of americans being generally bigger will come across the same issue as you when hopping on to it or any other bikes like it but of course there will be that crowd that can ride it all day long.

·
Registered
528 Posts
not sure if cramped is the right word

i find it taller, harder to flat foot. seating position is more aggressive. not as relaxed as the CBR

I don't really fit well on a R6. Though I love how they look and how they ride. Not tall enough I guess...

·
Registered
528 Posts

comfort wise the r6 is not as comfortable

its more aggressive

but i feel like its made for slightly taller riders

i can barely touch the ground on a r6.

·
Registered
707 Posts
comfort wise the r6 is not as comfortable

its more aggressive

but i feel like its made for slightly taller riders

i can barely touch the ground on a r6.
Interesting, how tall are you?
I haven't had the chance to sit on an R6 as yet but plan to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts