Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, ever since I got my CB300F I would hear a rattling noise from the front end when I rode it. I thought it was normal or it was my apartment key fob or thought it would go away after the 600 mile service, but it didn't. What could it be? Is this normal for the CB300F? My only other bike was an 08 Ninja 250 and it didn't make a rattle noise. Is this because the engine is a single-cylinder engine compared to the Ninja's 2 cylinder engine?

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
This whole rattle thing has been a bit of a saga lately but some of the guys reckoned it was the fuel cap that was making the noise when it was loose.
Try going for a ride and then press down on the cap and see if it goes away. Easy fix if it is just that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
How do you tighten the clutch lever?
Mine was moving up and down. There is a specific size gap in there that I don't think you can close by tightening the bolt. I pulled the lever out and put one piece of duct tape on the top, then re-installed it. This took care of the noise. You want to be careful not to put anything too thick in there, as it will bind the clutch lever and make it so it doesn't engage.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
How do you tighten the clutch lever?
You can also take out the slack by inserting a metal shim (basically a skinny washer) between the lever and the clutch lever holder. You put the pivot bolt thru it so it cant fall out. Come in various thicknesses from engineering supplies stores.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
your motorcycle is trying to communicate with you,
its saying [rough translation] 'please rest your
fingers over me when riding'...

the faint echo you may hear is your brake lever
saying; 'me too'...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
so if you hear a slight rattle and dont ride with fingers on levers,
rest them there and see if that makes any difference..

terrific bargain if that was it, simply using better finger form..

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 300F rattle has disappeared for the moment. I looked everywhere for it, including taking off the BSA to see if that rattled. It didn't. I never found a thing. That was 4 days ago. Anyway, the last 3 long rides, I've been thrashing the bike like normal including aggressive downshifting...downshifting and compression braking is where mine shows up most...but also just coasting in N with the engine off I can get a rattle. Anyway, I haven't had a rattle in 3 days. I have 3400 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I too started hearing a rattle right around the time I installed the windshield and rear cowl. Now I wonder if it's one of the levers causing it.

I also adjusted my clutch slack right at that time and forgot about it until I checked this thread again.

If it turns out to be the lever that's responsible for the rattle, I'll model up a new lever and print it out in ABS.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is a long list of things that are, were, or might be causing rattles...fairings rubbing against each other, fairings rubbing against the frame or support brackets, BAS, clutch or brake lever, gas tank cover, gas tank lid, loose fasteners, valves, valve springs, detonation from low octane fuel. Yours make 13, but I may have missed a couple. This is going back and including older 250r models, but I think we have to agree there are some rattles with this bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had a couple different rattles on my 300F. Most are solved by placing some pressure on either the fuel cap or the tank, however they come back. Also slapping one of the fairings stops some noise temporarily.

The last couple days I have a weird squeaking noise I can hear when coming to a stop (in gear, neutral - brake or no brake - doesn't matter). It goes away sometimes then comes back. I'm thinking about calling the dealer...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts