Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in this forum, and sadly it is a somber post. It all started when I was an hour in through a 2hr ride home on a 80 degrees F Sunday evening. Most of the travel was 60-80mph highway speeds. Upon lifting off and rolling back on throttle entering a 45mph zone, the bike had a noticeable lack of power. For a few seconds, twisting the throttle didn't seem to do much, with power resuming after the few seconds passing. This power cycle occurred again a fewer seconds later. I proceeded to the next exit 1/4 of a mile away. Upon downshifting a few times, the engine emitted a moderate squeaking noise for about 2-3 seconds. I proceeded to a parking lot a few blocks off of the exit to check the bike out. Oil level was a few millimeters above top fill mark, I suppose I poured plenty the last oil change 500 miles ago. Other than the slightly high oil level, everything checked out fine as far as I could tell. Temp gauge never went above the middle 3 bars mark. I hopped back on and test rode the bike for another half mile and the engine has a noticeably moderate ticking noise, it doen't sound pleasant. As far as engine power, the bike could still get around fine but If I'd have to guess I'd say that it might be a little short of normal full power. Not wanting to risk any more potential serious engine damage, I called my dad up for a tow. Checked spark plug and compression and both were fine. Drained oil, nothing noticeable in drain pan. Pulled apart oil filter and did find tiny non-magnetic metal particles. See attached image.

Specs/Mods: Yoshimura R77 Full exhaust, K&N air filter, Dynojet FC with professional tune.

DIY Oil changed at 600 mi and 10,000 mi with Honda GN4 10W-30. Honda dealer changed oil at ~6000 miles when crankshaft recall fix was done.

I will note that I did install the full system Yoshimura R77 exhaust at around 4000 miles, and didn't get a tune untill 6500 miles. The Honda dealer did mention that the engine had been running lean from their inspection during the crankshaft recall fix. They recommended getting a tune or throwing on the stock exhaust. I'm worried that the miles of no tune might have had a negative effect on my engine. The little engine has been a champ up to this point. I'm baffled to why this happened all of a sudden. Sadly the factory warranty has expired long ago, and dealer gave a general $1000-1300 to get the engine all patched up. They want $90 to just do a intro diagnostic/inspection. What should I do now, part out on Craigslist/eBay or attempt DIY repair?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Regarding the last oil change, did you make sure the oil filter was installed correctly?

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Filter element looks fine. I'd pay the $90 so you know what your looking at. It's all speculation at this point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am curious to know what happened here. I know that this is an old thread but I had a near identical issue with my 300f. I just got it back up and running and was posting about it when I saw this in the recommended reading section. In my case it happened just after an oil change which I am certain was done correctly as I did it myself, i am not sure how people manage to put these filters on backwards, lol. Upon disassembling the top of the engine I found that the forward cam had clearly lost oil feed. This in turn destroyed the races that the came rides in which meant the head was toast, these motors do not have cam bearings. I still don't know what caused the loss of oil pressure, oil level was fine when I tore the motor apart. I had substantially more metal shavings in my filter but it looked similar. Did you ever get a diagnosis? Here is the thread about my engine.
Catastrophic engine failure at 12k miles/19k km. #Necrothreadlol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts