Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I got my first road bike at the start of the summer (June) used from a bike dealer near me and it was certified with no issues they said. I ran great for the few weeks I used it but now not so much.
Once after running it around one day I stopped it and it wouldn’t start back up, just made this rapid fire clicking noise but wouldn’t fire up. I had to store it for two months while I was on course then went to get it out again and it started right up. Rode it for about 5 mins then turned it off and no go anymore. Clicking noise is back and was told over the phone that it’s the battery so I got a new one and still no go. Noise is still there and I don’t know what to do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would start with checking off the easy items, make sure the oil and coolant are at the correct levels. From there check the battery with a volt meter, it should be between 12-13 volts.

Did you hear any loud clunks or anything that sounded off when it quit running? Beyond that I wonder if the temperature or engine light on the dash was coming on when it was begining to shut down and also will it start back up some significant time later on like an hour or so? If so wonder if it is overheating and not wanting to start back as a result.

·
Premium Member
5,514 Posts
The clicking noise is your starter relay and it generally makes that sound when the battery has insufficient charge to turn the engine over. So either that replacement battery you got is not fully charged or it was and now isnt because the alternator is not recharging it. Do you have access to a multi meter to do some checks? If not then take it to an auto electrician or bike shop.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clicking noise is your starter relay and it generally makes that sound when the battery has insufficient charge to turn the engine over. So either that replacement battery you got is not fully charged or it was and now isnt because the alternator is not recharging it. Do you have access to a multi meter to do some checks? If not then take it to an auto electrician or bike shop.
Hey I did check it the battery is good to go. It a rapid fire jitter noise. I can push start it and it’ll ride a bit then lose power and die until you keep momentum and bump start it again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
How did you check the battery because it sure sounds like the battery to me

·
Registered
430 Posts
Check the reg/rec. When they fail they kill the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts