Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 cbr 300r. It had been laid over in 2018. I bought it off the tow company that towed it from the wreck. I had to fix a broken fuel line, other than cosmetic issues that still need to be repaired. I'm not getting the fuel pump to prime and I'm not getting and fire. I've tried jumping it off with my truck cause I thought the battery might have been too drained. I tested the fuel pump and it's good but when I tru to start it the fuel pump never kicks on?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Hi. Have you checked all the fuses? Generally there is a separate fuse for the fuel pump, could be blown.
Does it turn over? If so pull out the spark plug and see if you have spark when you crank it over with the plug still in the lead and earthed out against the engine block. The plugs not real easy to get at so you may need to remove fuel tank and maybe other stuff like airbox. I've never had it out so dont know exactly.
Basically you need to determine whether it's an electrical issue or a fuel issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I tried spraying starter fluid in the carb to see if it would start when I first got it before fixing the gas line and it never hit. I'll pull it and check it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got the plug out and grounded it on the frame. And there is no spark. Any suggestions to why the bike has no spark and its not kicking the fuel pump on?

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Well I got the plug out and grounded it on the frame. And there is no spark. Any suggestions to why the bike has no spark and its not kicking the fuel pump on?
I'm more of a mechanical guy than electrical but a faulty coil is a common reason for cranking but no spark. How you test the coil on a CB/R I dont know, but it's possibly on here somewhere or on Youtube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm more of a mechanical guy than electrical but a faulty coil is a common reason for cranking but no spark. How you test the coil on a CB/R I dont know, but it's possibly on here somewhere or on Youtube.
Yes but what would cause the fuel pump not to prime, along with it not getting spark?

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Yes but what would cause the fuel pump not to prime, along with it not getting spark?
Good question! I cant think of an obvious correlation between the two. Have you checked that the fuel pump is getting power to it? Unplug the fuel pump power lead under the fuel tank and test the bike side of the plug with a multimeter for 12V with the ignition on. If no power there then check the fuse. Generally there is a separate fuse for the fuel pump on a motorcycle.
If it is getting power to it then you may need to remove it from the tank and inspect it to see what the problem is.
Have you seen this good clip? Shows you how to remove and test pump and replace if faulty:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good question! I cant think of an obvious correlation between the two. Have you checked that the fuel pump is getting power to it? Unplug the fuel pump power lead under the fuel tank and test the bike side of the plug with a multimeter for 12V with the ignition on. If no power there then check the fuse. Generally there is a separate fuse for the fuel pump on a motorcycle.
If it is getting power to it then you may need to remove it from the tank and inspect it to see what the problem is.
Have you seen this good clip? Shows you how to remove and test pump and replace if faulty:
I have seen that video, i have had the fuel pump out and checked it to make sure it was good. The fuel pump itself is good. Its gotta be a relay, fuse, broken wire, or the BAS is stuck maybe? Thats what I've narrowed it to.
Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I will have this thing running soon.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Yeah could be the starter relay, actually I remember now there was a recall on the relay and mine was swapped out by the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Heck, I’ve never heard of one of those. Where’s it located?
Great you finally got the result you were after 👍

·
Registered
261 Posts
*UPDATE *
I got it started. There was a blown 9v diode in the ignition. Started right up after repairing the diode. 1st time in 2 years the bike has ran. Thank you to everyone for their help.
Thanks for the rely and update on finding the cure for your problem. I'm always amazed how seldom the OP with the question replies back. Most folks who took the time to offer technical advise, would like to know if it helped or not. And when it hasn't, and it's something else, well then we all learn something new , don't we? (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the rely and update on finding the cure for your problem. I'm always amazed how seldom the OP with the question replies back. Most folks who took the time to offer technical advise, would like to know if it helped or not. And when it hasn't, and it's something else, well then we all learn something new , don't we? (y)
I have a 2015 CBR300 won't start replaced fuel pump. won't start with starting fluid unless I disconnect the fuel pump under the tank; then when I spray with starter fluid it will run briefly. Do you think Diode could be my problem? has not been dropped and has 600miles Kickstand switch checks good

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 CBR300 won't start replaced fuel pump. won't start with starting fluid unless I disconnect the fuel pump under the tank; then when I spray with starter fluid it will run briefly. Do you think Diode could be my problem? has not been dropped and has 600miles Kickstand switch checks good

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mine wouldn't start at all. I used starter fluid with the tank off and with it on. So I don't think the diode is your problem. Maybe a relay? Did you change the fuel pump and housing or just the pump?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts