Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I bought this bike from an individual off Craigslist, I've noticed that the clock automatically resets back to 1:00 after being off for about 1 minute. When igniotion is turned on, I can set the clock to the correct time, cut the bike off, let it set for 10 seconds, turn it back on and everything is OK (reads the correct time). But if I let it set for about 1 minute the clock resets to back to 1:00. I changed the clock fuse (just in case that was the problem) and I always have the bike on a trickle-charger when parked in the garage. Could it be the battery? Could it be the gauge cluster? Does the gauge cluster have an internal battery?

Any ideas ..........

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm not aware of any internal batteries for the cluster. Everything, including clock settings should be controlled and stored by the ECU. It could always be a loose wire/connection somewhere, but that can be time consuming to track down.
There's a necessary sequence spelled out in the Owner's Manual to properly reset a bike's clock. Often something as simple as pressing a button for several seconds before the clock is actually 'reset'. I'd try resetting "by the book" first. It may not help, but it's certainly the easiest place to start.
In case you're without a manual, I have a link below to Honda's website for a free PDF download of the CB300F's Owner Manual. The clock functions and setting sequences will be in there.
Owners Manuals - Honda

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not aware of any internal batteries for the cluster. Everything, including clock settings should be controlled and stored by the ECU. It could always be a loose wire/connection somewhere, but that can be time consuming to track down.
There's a necessary sequence spelled out in the Owner's Manual to properly reset a bike's clock. Often something as simple as pressing a button for several seconds before the clock is actually 'reset'. I'd try resetting "by the book" first. It may not help, but it's certainly the easiest place to start.
In case you're without a manual, I have a link below to Honda's website for a free PDF download of the CB300F's Owner Manual. The clock functions and setting sequences will be in there.
Owners Manuals - Honda
I appreciate the response. I just so strange. If I have the bike running, set the clock and go for a ride, the clock works perfectly. If I cut the bike off then cut it back on 10 - 20 seconds later, the time is correct. Cut it off for a minute or 2, it resets back to 1:00. My local Honda Dealer wants to sell me a new gauge cluster (installed) for $400. I'm not sold that the gauge is the problem (as you noted, maybe a loose wire). Everything else on the gauge works perfectly.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I understand. It could well be the gauge cluster assembly. I have a link below for a Honda OEM replacement to give you an idea of costs. If I'm not mistaken, it's pretty much a plug-and-play install, and you could probably do it yourself. Problem there is electrical parts are (as a rule) not returnable. So, are you comfortable spending that much money on a project that hasn't been completely diagnosed?? Maybe the dealer has already diagnosed it for you, you'll need to determine and weigh the odds of that. But their idea sounds reasonable to me, and I'd probably take the chance.
Either way, you also need to consider how the bikes mileage reading will be handled. Is it back to 0 miles? Or will the ECU correct it for you? Or need to be reset at a Dealer? I don't have that answer. And maybe it's not important to you. But something to consider. Good Luck.

2017 Honda CB300F OEM Parts | MotoSport

1 - 4 of 4 Posts