Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Im about to purchase a brand new 2017 CBR300R. I found a really good deal. But the 2019 is only $500 more. I have two questions:

1: is there any thing significantly different between the two that will benefit a new rider to justify getting the newer machine?

2: I am 6.0’ 220lb Am I too big and should I go for a cbr500r instead? (I don’t look 220 though. I have more of an athletic build)

thanks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Like the above poster said, it's pretty much a choice of what colour you like more.

As for the height and weight thing ehh... it'll work great as a first bike (6foot4honda started on a CBR250 IIRC). I don't think you'll "get bored of it" after 4 months like people who try to push you to a bigger bike will say but go into it with the idea that it's your first bike and you can get another one in the future when you're ready.

I'm still extremely happy with my CBR don't get me wrong but I would describe it as very much an entry level Honda and not anything "exciting". It's like a very middle of the road approach, not much service required, not overly powerful but not underpowered, gets the job done in a plain manner rather than a flashy manner etc.

That said, the "plain bike" isn't across their entire lineup, if you look at a CBR600RR for example that thing is a monster and not even comparable since it's a straight up race bike and not like the CBR650F (standard/sportbike) which is a bit more tame.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've had my cbr300r since June 2016. I'm the same height and weight as you. Haven't felt the need to upgrade yet after all this time. I've put 7k miles on the bike. Every time I get the urge for more power I just watch one of the many videos where people say 600s and 1000s are horrible on the street. You're hunched over too much and you'll be tempted to go 100 mph in a 25 zone and road rage will be taken to a new level and you'll probably die or at least hate every minute of riding on public roads with a track weapon.

·
Premium Member
5,286 Posts
I've had my cbr300r since June 2016. I'm the same height and weight as you. Haven't felt the need to upgrade yet after all this time. I've put 7k miles on the bike. Every time I get the urge for more power I just watch one of the many videos where people say 600s and 1000s are horrible on the street. You're hunched over too much and you'll be tempted to go 100 mph in a 25 zone and road rage will be taken to a new level and you'll probably die or at least hate every minute of riding on public roads with a track weapon.
I can recommend the Ninja 400 as a good compromise between the two. 50% more power than the CBR but still an ergonomically friendly bike. Doesn't have a supersport riding position. Pretty decent on gas too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just went out for a 1.5 hour ride. That's about my limit. After 2 hours I need to take a break and stretch. The 500 is probably more comfortable but how often will you be going on 2+ hour rides? If you'll be going 65+ mph every day then definitely skip the 300. I rarely see 60 mph.

The Kawi 400 is nice. Rode it to a buyers house when I worked for a kawi/yam dealer as per his wife's request as a surprise. My right foot was touching the muffler which wasn't ideal but the riding position was more comfortable than the CBR and the extra 113cc was nice. OP should take a look at that bike for sure. The R3/MT03 are also nice options.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I was in your position then my main concern would be:

How long do I plan to keep the bike before upgrading to a bigger bike (if at all)?

And if the answer is 1 year or less than you are better off with the newer model (since it will fetch a much higher "used market price" if you sell it used because of the 2 years of difference in production date)

But if you want to get the lowest price you can use the "$500 thing" as a negotiation leveraging tool to get Dealer to lower the price on the older bike MORE. Trust me that the dealer wants to be rid of the OLDER bike so that is your best opportunity to get him to lower the price some more.

See if you can get the 2017 for 300k out-the-door. And if the deal is not favorable just walk away and wait for a used bike from a private seller.

·
Registered
159 Posts
KC.... I talked the dealer down $297000 below your bottom line..... I got skilz..... :)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just went out for a 1.5 hour ride. That's about my limit. After 2 hours I need to take a break and stretch. The 500 is probably more comfortable but how often will you be going on 2+ hour rides? If you'll be going 65+ mph every day then definitely skip the 300. I rarely see 60 mph.

The Kawi 400 is nice. Rode it to a buyers house when I worked for a kawi/yam dealer as per his wife's request as a surprise. My right foot was touching the muffler which wasn't ideal but the riding position was more comfortable than the CBR and the extra 113cc was nice. OP should take a look at that bike for sure. The R3/MT03 are also nice options.
On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate each bike, based on all be small cc bikes.
Honda CBR300R
Kawasaki Ninja 400
Yamaha R3

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate each bike, based on all be small cc bikes.
Honda CBR300R
Kawasaki Ninja 400
Yamaha R3
I'll give my opinions based on others' conversations of these bikes.
All three are capable bikes. "Close" to the same engine size and purchase price. Keep in mind, the rule on these 3 bikes is.. the more HP, the less fuel economy. You'll have to decide if you need the extra HP?
All three are enjoyable as they are, and were designed to optimize each bike's engine, suspension, brakes, etc.
Honda's rock solid, reliable, and best fuel mileage by far, The lowest in engine size and HP. But arguably, the least expensive to insure, operate, and maintain of the three.
Kawasaki's the largest engine size and HP. Has been plagued with clutch problems... yet to be addressed by Kawi. A serious, but maybe the only, drawback were I buying today.
Yamaha's in the middle with engine size, HP, and fuel MPG. Virtually unchanged, except cosmetics, since 2015.
So... You really can't go wrong with either of the three. Sit on them and see how they fit. If it doesn't feel reasonably comfortable, go for another bike. You'll have a hard and expensive challenge trying to change the basic ergonomics of any motorcycle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll give my opinions based on others' conversations of these bikes.
All three are capable bikes. "Close" to the same engine size and purchase price. Keep in mind, the rule on these 3 bikes is.. the more HP, the less fuel economy. You'll have to decide if you need the extra HP?
All three are enjoyable as they are, and were designed to optimize each bike's engine, suspension, brakes, etc.
Honda's rock solid, reliable, and best fuel mileage by far, The lowest in engine size and HP. But arguably, the least expensive to insure, operate, and maintain of the three.
Kawasaki's the largest engine size and HP. Has been plagued with clutch problems... yet to be addressed by Kawi. A serious, but maybe the only, drawback were I buying today.
Yamaha's in the middle with engine size, HP, and fuel MPG. Virtually unchanged, except cosmetics, since 2015.
So... You really can't go wrong with either of the three. Sit on them and see how they fit. If it doesn't feel reasonably comfortable, go for another bike. You'll have a hard and expensive challenge trying to change the basic ergonomics of any motorcycle.
This was very helpful and good info, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
14 Posts
And you didn't even mention the the added insurance and maintenance costs ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts