Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I changed my oil the first time at 400 miles myself. I used all OEM Honda parts even their own stock oil. Now I have about 1500 miles and through the window it looks a bit dark/blackish. I have always leaned on the cautious side and changed my oil in my cars sooner than recommended. So I have a K&N oil filter and all the parts ready to change it again but really want to put Mobil 1 synthetic or Castrol Syn. in it. I know there is always a debate about synthetic vs. dino oil, I don't want to go down that conversation road, I think it's been debated to death. I just wanted to see if anyone could say for a fact, either hearing it straight from Honda or personal experience if I shouldn't go with a synthetic at 1500 miles. I've heard wait till 4000 for it to be fully broken in. I don't believe that these engines these days barely need breaking in at all and If anything it was broken in at the 500-mile mark IMO. So dino or Synthetic?
btw both are jaso/ma/ma2 certified so I think that's all that should matter.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Almost all the Aprilia and Vespa motorcycles/scooters come with full synthetic. Same with my Triumph Street Triple R and a bunch of autos like Prius and even my Honda Civic. Obviously all these bikes and cars get broken-in just fine. I usually go to full synthetic at the first oil change for my motorcycles and stay with it. I will use that too. What you will find is that manufacturers generally recommend the oil that they get kickbacks or discounts from. If it meets the specs you described, it will work just fine. Lots of people do that 2nd oil change earlier. We also ignore that recommendation to only change the filter every other oil change. I use Rotella T6 that sells at Walmart for $19 a gallon along with thousands of other motorcyclists. It has an excellent track record. Truthfully, I don't think it will make any difference which oil you use or if you change the oil at 1500 miles or 8,000. For peace of mind, I would change the oil and filter too though. That's never wrong. It might be wasting money, but not much money. I'm sure Honda mechanics will tell you a variety of things about when or if to go to synthetic. If there was a problem with full synthetic oil in newer bikes, you would have heard about it by now. So all you are left with is opinions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
cant speak about when to switch to synthetic, but, id suggest doing an oil change, i typically have done them every 1k km, so like every 625miles,but id suggest doing one sooner than later

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Almost all the Aprilia and Vespa motorcycles/scooters come with full synthetic. Same with my Triumph Street Triple R and a bunch of autos like Prius and even my Honda Civic. Obviously all these bikes and cars get broken-in just fine. I usually go to full synthetic at the first oil change for my motorcycles and stay with it. I will use that too. What you will find is that manufacturers generally recommend the oil that they get kickbacks or discounts from. If it meets the specs you described, it will work just fine. Lots of people do that 2nd oil change earlier. We also ignore that recommendation to only change the filter every other oil change. I use Rotella T6 that sells at Walmart for $19 a gallon along with thousands of other motorcyclists. It has an excellent track record. Truthfully, I don't think it will make any difference which oil you use or if you change the oil at 1500 miles or 8,000. For peace of mind, I would change the oil and filter too though. That's never wrong. It might be wasting money, but not much money. I'm sure Honda mechanics will tell you a variety of things about when or if to go to synthetic. If there was a problem with full synthetic oil in newer bikes, you would have heard about it by now. So all you are left with is opinions.
Who is recommending that the oil filter only be changed every other time?... certainly not Honda.

Reactions: atown8605

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
cant speak about when to switch to synthetic, but, id suggest doing an oil change, i typically have done them every 1k km, so like every 625miles,but id suggest doing one sooner than later
Why would you change the oil that often?

Today's quality oils do not break down that quickly. If you are using a quality motorcycle specific oil, there is no reason it shouldn't be able to do a 4000 mile (7000 km) interval between oil & filter changes.

Reactions: atown8605

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Of course, I use a new Filter at every change. I have a K&N now it was the same price as Honda's or Fram. For $6 there's no excuse not to. Like I said I changed it first at 400 miles and used all OEM Honda parts and HP4 dino oil. But being that I changed it at 400 and they suggest 600, I just would feel a bit safer and for my piece of mind changing it again at 1300 miles. I am going to use Synthetic for this change Mobile 1 jaso/ma/ma2 certified of course. But after this change I won't do another change for a good 3000 miles. I don't like pushing it much farther than 4000 miles even on my car because I tend to drive/ride my vehicles pretty hard. Again for the price to do it, it's worth it just for my Piece of Mind.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Of course, I use a new Filter at every change. I have a K&N now it was the same price as Honda's or Fram. For $6 there's no excuse not to. Like I said I changed it first at 400 miles and used all OEM Honda parts and HP4 dino oil. But being that I changed it at 400 and they suggest 600, I just would feel a bit safer and for my piece of mind changing it again at 1300 miles. I am going to use Synthetic for this change Mobile 1 jaso/ma/ma2 certified of course. But after this change I won't do another change for a good 3000 miles. I don't like pushing it much farther than 4000 miles even on my car because I tend to drive/ride my vehicles pretty hard. Again for the price to do it, it's worth it just for my Piece of Mind.
FYI, Honda's HP4 is not mineral oil, it's a high quality full synthetic.

BTW, my question in the previous post "Why would you change the oil that often?" was not directed at you, but rather to Zac Zedd who said that he changes oil every 1000 km (625 miles).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI, Honda's HP4 is not mineral oil, it's a high quality full synthetic.

BTW, my question in the previous post "Why would you change the oil that often?" was not directed at you, but rather to Zac Zedd who said that he changes oil every 1000 km (625 miles).
Then I used GN4? I used the regular mineral oil not their synthetic. I thought their synthetic had a S in it. Yah I know you were referencing him. I just included responses to everyone in the 1 post lol.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm fairly sure how hard you ride is a big factor. First there's the information from people who go to the track. For sure, they don't go 8,000 miles between oil changes. I do a hard break-in usually. If I don't, the oil looks fairly good at the 500-600 mile first oil change....not much floating around in it and it's not very dark. If I do a hard break-in, the oil is dirty and dark at 200 miles or even less. Yes, it's hard to second guess the manufacturer, but the other issue is the small high-reving motorcycle engines with a small total volume of oil. While you might not want to pay someone $100+ for a simple oil change, if it costs you $20 and you can do it in 15 minutes and feel reassured your oil is good, I say do it. I have never yet let a bike go anything close to 8000 miles between oil changes....it's more like 2000 miles between changes after the first initial 1 or 2 early changes. I do have a service contract on my GSX-r600, but those oil changes are scheduled at 4000-mile intervals plus I get 3 free anytime oil changes, which means it is closer to 2000 miles for that bike too. I changed the CB300F oil at 165 mi, 614 mi, and 3400 mi. Now I have 4400 miles on it and will probably change it again at 5,000 mi or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts