Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried adding a "drop" link to the muffler mount to get more room for throw over saddle bags? Before I go cutting and drilling, thought I would ask if others had tried and if the header/pipe assembly had enough flexibility to do this, and how much drop might be possible before having to modify the pipe or the muff/pipe junction somehow?

·
Banned
777 Posts
You're probably better off with an aftermarket.

Yet another thing Honda could re-engineer to make the F more suited as a commuter.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Anyone tried adding a "drop" link to the muffler mount to get more room for throw over saddle bags? Before I go cutting and drilling, thought I would ask if others had tried and if the header/pipe assembly had enough flexibility to do this, and how much drop might be possible before having to modify the pipe or the muff/pipe junction somehow?
Based on every bike I've ever owned (including my CBR250R), I think you'll find that if you remove the bolt securing the muffler to the right side passenger foot rest mount, there isn't very much movement or 'wiggle' room with which you could lower the muffler by any significant amount with just a drop link... at least not without putting quite a bit of excessive strain on the header/muffler joint. That said, if you have access to a pipe bender, you could probably put a slight bend in the header pipe near the junction with the muffler to effectively lower the height of the muffler... then use a drop link made to a length to support the muffler in it's new position.

Reactions: crazyjackcsa

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was afraid of that; might just get a muffler shop to bend up a short "kink" connector??

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
It would only take one small bend of the link pipe in front of the muffler to lower the height of it at the pillion peg bracket.

But you would need a connector plate between the muffler mount and the pillion peg bracket to bridge the gap.
And your bike would end up looking like something from the eighties when mufflers weren't so up-swept. :laugh:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm old school but torch that mofo and bend it (not much mind you) around something circular. Use a piece of aluminum or a mending brace to connect the silencer/muffler (i call it muffle from my car days) and call it a day. If it's going to be a commuter then presumably it'll be high mileage when you sell it, so I wouldn't worry too much about resale value.

Just a weekend warriors opinion here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know this thread is a year old but why not cut a section of exhaust tubing out and put in a section of flex pipe?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Actually, it's interesting it's been resurrected. I was thinking exactly the same thing - to lower the muffler. It shouldn't be a big deal to do it, but then the muffler would be in the way of accessing the rear brake...possibly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts