Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm considering the CB300F as a first bike, against the Suzuki S40 and Honda Rebel, which are more traditional beginner bikes, used and about $1,500 cheaper if bought used.

One of the things is my buddy's suggested a motorcycle camping tour next summer around BC. He's got an S40. If this were to happen, there would probably be a lot of riding on logging/fire roads to get to campgrounds. I'm wondering if anyone's had experience riding their 300F's on logging/fire roads and can comment. Is this a bad idea for this type of bike? I've read a few of you going touring on the 300F but haven't heard about having to go down dirt roads.

Thanks,

Keenan.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Keenan, make take on this issue is: I ride on dirt roads with my CB300FA.
It handles them well, though not very fast. However, the dirt roads are basically packed dirt with a sprinkling of gravel/sand and a few potholes/washboard surfaces.
In our Algoma country there is a logging road (actually a regional road used mainly by logging trucks and local residents). I would NOT take the CB on that road. I remember driving on that road once in a little hatchback and I thought the car would shake apart. A few years ago I was riding on the road on my mountain bicycle and found some stretches challenging (I'm not a technical rider though).
So it depend what kind of roads those fire/logging roads are. If it's mostly packed dirt, then no problem. If it's deep(er) gravel/sand, lots of washboard surfaces, big potholes, forget it. For these roads there is the KLR650 and similar dual sports.
Also it's good to be aware that if the roads are dusty (as they are when it's dry), the air filter may not be suitable for that kind of riding.
Horses for courses, eh?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
A bike with longer travel suspension and street legal knobby tires would be what I'd want for riding forest roads and old logging trails.

Also, in the US all motorcycles (regardless whether street legal or not) are also required to have a USFS approved spark arrestor exhaust to legally operate on roads within USFS lands, and it's a big fine if you get caught without one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keenan, make take on this issue is: I ride on dirt roads with my CB300FA.
It handles them well, though not very fast. However, the dirt roads are basically packed dirt with a sprinkling of gravel/sand and a few potholes/washboard surfaces.
In our Algoma country there is a logging road (actually a regional road used mainly by logging trucks and local residents). I would NOT take the CB on that road. I remember driving on that road once in a little hatchback and I thought the car would shake apart. A few years ago I was riding on the road on my mountain bicycle and found some stretches challenging (I'm not a technical rider though).
So it depend what kind of roads those fire/logging roads are. If it's mostly packed dirt, then no problem. If it's deep(er) gravel/sand, lots of washboard surfaces, big potholes, forget it. For these roads there is the KLR650 and similar dual sports.
Also it's good to be aware that if the roads are dusty (as they are when it's dry), the air filter may not be suitable for that kind of riding.
Horses for courses, eh?
Thanks for the input guys,

I agree with Michal, it's all depends on the severity of the road. In BC there are a lot of asphalt roads to tour along but some of the best campsites are 5-20minutes down logging roads, the worst of which I had attached an image of. They're almost all compacted dirt but there can be loose gravel on top and potholes too. The last time I went camping I took a sedan and there was a lot of gravel bouncing around the wheel wells but I didn't really mind it.

Thanks again for the feed back on one of the many variables I'm considering.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Truth is the cb will go where the S40 goes.
If the s40 gets there without killing the driver, chances are that the cb will do the same.
If there are a lot of potholes, I would recommend a KLR650, or CB500X with knobby tires.

The CB, and certainly the Rebel and S40 are not suited for offroad, save for sandy asphalt roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts