Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to dealership today and the base price is $3,900, and the salesman says that the total after everything is around $5,400 but can be negotiated. How much you think I should try to get the price down to for a fair price? thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd like to help but your post has zero information. Like really, none.

Where are you located?

Cash or finance?

What is the "everything" that costs $1500?

Do you have a breakdown of all the extras?

Have you dealt with that dealer before?

Have you ever bought a bike (or car) before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
CB300F Pricing

I paid for mine today. After all was said and done I handed the Manager a check for $4,326. Granted, that's because my buddy also bought a bike at the same time. I don't think you will get that sort of a deal everywhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is going to be finance. Maybe someone have theirs financed and can me an idea of the added cost on top of the base price, and maybe $1,400 additional cost is the norm. If that's the case, then the total of $5,400 will be finance and I'm in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CB500F Price

I financed every dollar of that $4326. Granted this is in New Hampshire, where the prices are a lot better than Vegas.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I never question the added cost when I buy a new car, I guess it's the same for a bike.
Wow, sounds like you are the kind of customer that every car or motorcycle salesperson dreams about. When you're standing out on the showroom floor looking at the vehicle, and get around to asking the salesperson what the "out the door" price is, of course they will give you a ballpark number that is padded with all the extra charges & fees. However that doesn't mean that is the final price you'll have to pay to ride away. The real price that they are willing to sell you that bike for isn't going to be disclosed out on the sales floor... to get that "number" you'll need to sit down and work out a deal.

Whether you are buying a new car or a bike, you should find out from the dealer exactly what the cost breakdown is regardless of whether you're paying cash or financing the purchase...

Base Price (or MSRP):

Destination Charge:

Documentation Fee:

Set-Up (or Pre-Delivery Charge):

Sales Tax:

Title & Registration:

At the end of the day, not all dealers sell these bikes for the same "out the door" price... some will charge whatever they feel they can for the Destination Charge, Documentation Fee, & Set-Up Charge. Other dealers may not. These three line items on a sales invoice are costs which can be negotiated when you're sitting down to work out a final deal on the bike, before you sign on the dotted line.

Bottom line... if you happen to live in or near a large metro area which has more than one or two dealers for the vehicle you're looking at buying, you need to shop those dealers for the best overall deal, which also includes after the sale service. Getting a rock bottom price on a bike may not end up being a great deal if the dealer winds up making next to nothing on the bike, and therefore doesn't have any incentive to offer it's customers good follow up service.

Reactions: algarci2

·
Registered
295 Posts
^ Moto Mike has it right on the ball.
Have to make sure you're not paying for things you don't have to.
At the end of the day they want to make money and make the most from you.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm picking up my CB300F in 6 hours (it's 0300 now and they open at 0900) and I can't sleep because I'm like a kid on xmas eve...

When I emailed my dealership, The OTD quote I received was the following:

Price $2999
Documentation Fee $99.50
Taxes $330.10
Tags $75
Drive-out tag $6.50

Out The Door Total $3510.10

I'm pretty sure I got lucky so I had them confirm the price this evening right before I left work and they sent me a PDF with the same numbers. I guess they have a sale going on now or something

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've never been able to negotiate a deal on a bike. I don't know anybody else that has ever made big headway either.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario and I paid MSRP. The freight and PDI was $100 less than the honda.ca website.

"Buy it, don't buy it,we don't care." is the attitude of most dealers in these parts, especially with new bikes.

Couldn't even get a deal on a helmet. The next closest dealership is more than an hour away. I even called around. Everybody was prepared to match, nobody was ready to beat it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've never been able to negotiate a deal on a bike. I don't know anybody else that has ever made big headway either.

I'm in Southwestern Ontario and I paid MSRP. The freight and PDI was $100 less than the honda.ca website.

"Buy it, don't buy it,we don't care." is the attitude of most dealers in these parts, especially with new bikes.

Couldn't even get a deal on a helmet. The next closest dealership is more than an hour away. I even called around. Everybody was prepared to match, nobody was ready to beat it.
I've had the same experience myself until I got this bike...This was the first dealership that gave me a great quote up front.

When I started looking at the WR250X bikes in 2009, Dealership "A" was like, "MSRP is MSRP for a reason. You don't wanna pay it? Go elsewhere."

2 years later the bike hadn't sold and I went back and bought it for what I originally offered in 2009...

Honda-Yamaha of Memphis is currently running some awesome specials until the 5th of May so if anyone is remotely near Memphis and wants a bike I do recommend you call them.

My new bike:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
It's much the same story here in New Zealand unless Honda is running a promo nation wide across all dealerships.
I managed to get the ORC's (On Road Costs) thrown in when I bought my 250R which was worth $274 (200USD) but the first dealer I approached wouldn't do this for me. He shot himself in the foot there as not only did he lose that sale but a year later I ordered a 300 at full price before they hit the showrooms, so he missed that sale too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I picked up my cbr300 for $5600aus ($4381.44us). Rego, stamp duty were thrown in. these are usually close to a $1000aus. The dealership prices are pretty much fixed unless there is a nation wide deal by Honda. The dealership did however give a lot of discounts on safety gear and the first service.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
purchased mine at Iron Horse Motorcycles in Monroe NC for $3999, tax, tag, title...rode it home for 4260.....no destination charge...no dealer prep....did the deal over the phone....
A dealer over in the Mountains of NC listing them for $3709. Its a great bike for 3999....not so much for 5400. I also own a 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS with all 3 Givi bags and new tires and used with only 12,000 miles I paid $5799. Lots of cheap low milage used bikes around these days.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
What's a few hundred dollars on such a reasonable bike? I'm surprised at how much energy I put forth into haggling with my own price shopping before I picked one up. :laugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got mine used for 3200 with 953 miles on it, and already had the first service :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got mine used for 3200 with 953 miles on it, and already had the first service :)
3200?! Where do you live and the dealership would offer a private seller more than that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts