Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at some clip ons and it seems inly 2 brands vortex and woodcraft make them with the clamps that are lower on the stem, like below the wire clip that needs to be removed while taking off the OEM bars. All other 'universal' 37mm clamps are as tall as the stem right up to the top bolt or even over a hair. My question is can these still be used? And if so should I leave that round thin wire in place or pop it off. Does it have any other purpose other than not letting the OEM bars slide right up and off? I've researched it a bit and have seen posts in the 500r forums with pictures , and the clamps are even with the top of the suspension(riser?) bolt and he says he has no problems.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I've taken these photos to show the difference in bar height of the Vortex clip on vs the OEM one which has about a 2 inch riser. Also to show the difference in heights/widths of the clamps on the OEM, Vortex and Wood craft bars.

1. The Vortex bar is shown here fitted to my bike and you can see how much lower it is than the OEM bar. The clamp part is only 3mm higher than the OEM one tho, so you can fit these without having to slide your forks in the triple clamps/yokes to expose more fork. You will probably cover the circlip groove tho which isn't a problem. (you can still see the groove in my photo because I raised my forks.)

2. This photo shows the difference in height of the Woodcraft clip on clamp vs the OEM one. I had the Woodcrafts on my 250R. The Vortex are the best fit for the 300 tho (because the top of the fairing is lower on this model) and I recommend them because you can see here that to fit the Woodcrafts you would need to slide your forks in their yokes 1/2 an inch to have enough fork exposed to accommodate the tall clamp.

3.If you do need to raise/slide your forks in the triple clamps then there are two two hex head bolts that clamp each fork leg. One on the top yoke...

and one on the bottom yoke...

Use a 14mm spanner and only loosen the bolts enough so that you can tap the top yoke down and have the forks come up in a controlled fashion. Do one leg at a time. If you loosen the bolts right off on both legs then you risk having the front end of the bike slide down on the forks and its an arse to get it back up again! Place a soft rag on top of the yoke, then a small block of wood on that and (once you've backed off the clamping nuts) hit the wood with your hammer. This will stop you marking your top yoke. Use a ruler measuring off the top of the yoke to the top of the fork leg to get both sides the same. Then re-tighten your clamp bolts.
Sounds a bit involved but its actually pretty quick and easy to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much dude! I completely understand between our convo and these pics! I don't think I will have to move the yoke at all, pretty sure my clip on clamps will be just a hair higher than yours from my measurements. Not as high as that 500r's tho lol. Thanks so much for the help, this will come in handy for others that want to change to clip ons too!

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I received a PM from a member wanting pics of the Vortex clip ons on a bike. So I'm going to post them here in the appropriate thread encase others are interested in the future too.
Apologies to anyone tired of seeing my bike on here :laugh:

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

photos for 300 site 004.JPG

bike shots 005.JPG

bike shots 011.JPG

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Every time I look at your pictures, I want to move to New Zealand.
You have a very cute cat! :D
Thanks, Alfie is pretty cool for a cat. I can rev the crap out of my bikes in the workshop and he doesn't bat an eyelid. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts