Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

300R rear pillion cowl Cheap!

7K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  mikal 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Same here CDN, it say they ship to UK but when you click on country it says "no". I would stick to a genuine one. As they say- you pays your money and takes your choice.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR and mikal
#12 ·
I bought the Honda one too. at the time I paid $139 which was and still is a good deal for the real one. They didn't have really any aftermarket parts for the 300r when I modded mine all up. Other than the original Honda aftermarket parts I've gotten, I have bought a ton of stuff on Ebay and everything has turned out to be fine. But I have only bought parts that basically can't be screwed up like led lights and bolts. You do have to be kind of weary with China crap, but if you 'know' ebay you can tell if the seller is truly in the U.S. or if it's really China with a satellite warehouse in California

#14 ·
I bought the Honda one too. at the time I paid $139 which was and still is a good deal for the real one. They didn't have really any aftermarket parts for the 300r when I modded mine all up. Other than the original Honda aftermarket parts I've gotten, I have bought a ton of stuff on Ebay and everything has turned out to be fine. But I have only bought parts that basically can't be screwed up like led lights and bolts. You do have to be kind of weary with China crap, but if you 'know' ebay you can tell if the seller is truly in the U.S. or if it's really China with a satellite warehouse in California
Yeah I knew it was a gamble. I'm not overly bothered I can always raise a dispute if needs be.

#4 · (Edited)
I don't see 'numerous' negative feedback. I see 4 negatives in the past 30 days. for a 80,000+ seller that isn't bad at all. I don't see any negative remarks on that specific item either? I see the underneath is quite different than the authentic Honda pillion I have. It does look a bit cheaper.

#7 ·
I ordered one of these and it arrived yesterday. Looks OK and the colour match whilst not perfect isnt bad and the finish is good. However it doesnt fit, the locking catch is about 2 centimetres too far back when the cowl is hooked onto the front hooks. I suspect its a copy of the CBR250R cowl. I've asked for a refund I'll update this when I see how that goes I'm reluctant to ship it back to China !

#9 ·
To be fair the seller has replied this morning asking for the model and year and assuring me they will resolve the problem so we shall see. Looking at the cowl I'm wondering if they've mounted the metal catch the wrong way round. Here are some pics. Its not as orange as they appear in the first ones. Thats just my crappy phone camera.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
What it looks like to me is..see the 2 plastic tabs towards the front? On the 300r those are set to hook under and go forward towards the front seat. Right? On yours it looks like they are facing the back. Are you sliding the pilling so the tabs go under the bikes hooks and then pushing the whole cowl back? That is why it is not catching. The Honda version I have has metal tabs in the front but still you have to slide the whole pillion in the front under the 2 hooks and push forwards and then push down towards the rear metal catch. So that is where I'd say the problem is.
In the pic I attached you can see the 250r's front 2 plastic tabs are just like the pillion you received, pointing backwards. Look at your original rear seat, the tabs should be in the exact opposite direction as the pillion you have there.

#15 ·
Looks to me to be a mix of the 250r(with the front plastic pegs facing the wrong direction) and the metal hook loop is probably in the correct position but since you are sliding the cowl back in stead of forwards because of the tab direction that's making the metal hoop not click in the latch.
If you get your money back and get to keep it, I'm sure you could do something to fix those front tabs. cut them off and epoxy them backwards or something.

#16 ·
Well the seller first offered me half the price back and then when I said that was not good enough a full refund if I sent it back but I'd have to pay the postage to China. When I pointed out it was their responsibility to pay the postage as the item was not as described and that I had spoken to ebay about it they finally agreed to refund if I showed them a picture of the part smashed which I did. They are still listing the part........

I guess I'll have to pay £125 for the genuine part. At least you all know now !!

#18 ·
@CDNHONDAR I cant find the original thread Laurie so this will do... remember I said I would look into availability of pearl white rear pillion cowls in NZ?
They can be got here through a Honda dealer but they are ex Thailand factory and a wait time of up to four weeks (?) but the clincher was the price. Can't remember exact but it was around $500NZD which is $440CDN. Crazy money.
Sorry I forgot to pass this on earlier, I take it you wont be placing an order now :D

#19 ·
Thanks alot for your trouble my friend...but holy heck $500 NZ?:eek: I assume + shipping? WOW! I wonder why so much? But you are correct..way to much for what it is worth. Thanks again.:)

#22 ·
A good paint shop could colour match one of another colour but again, its all $$ and depends how much you want to do it.

One of the down sides of living in a country of small population (4.6 mill) and remote location is parts availability and shipping times.
Usually a little extra cost due to our weak dollar as well but even I was surprised at this one!

#23 ·
Actually Amazon sells Honda OEM paints. You can buy a set of 3 pens, it has a base coat, color, and a clear coat. You can also buy spray for bigger jobs. I only looked for my color but they have Millennium REd. I have never seen the Pearl color tho. If it has a flake look to it, that would be hard to reproduce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.