Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few of them being mentioned on 250.net

Which ones are good and how much does it usually cost? What sort of power do people see? Tried looking but it seems like its not a popular option so not too much info.

I've read that the 305cc Takegawa bore kit with an exhaust and a tune can add an extra 10hp.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That sounds like a pretty nice boost in power. Is it an expensive package to buy?

I'm not sure that I would be able to install it myself. I think I would take it somewhere to have them show me how, maybe then I can do it next time...

i think the first step to look into this would be to figure out where you buy it. That would likely give you a lot more info than we can. Unless someone on our forum has actually already bought and installed one.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Nice!
I know some people have a number of mods done to their CBR250R's or bought 2013 models. Good thing to do if you can't part with your 250.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not entirely sure how much it would cost to do this to a 250

I was just curious since the 250s might be going for so cheap once the 300 comes out

Figured you could probably save some money and just bore out your 250 to a 300 for a cheaper price than buying a 300.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think the fact not many people have done it is indicator enough...
Good point. Plus anyone who has been keeping up with motorcycle news will start to consider selling their 250 and buying a 300, it doesn't even have to be a Honda, could be a Suzuki or even Kawasaki.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well to be fair the CBR250 is relatively new as well. (I believe the latest version came out in 2011. And most riders are happy with the power on the CBR250 or they would have gotten a larger displacement instead.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That's true, even right now you can get a CBR250 brand new. Just depends when you bought yours, of course you'd want to make a sound decision here. There will always be people happy with their current CBR250 and those looking for a bit more and something newer that have the money to upgrade and can justify it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Would it make sense to sell the CBR 250 early before the CBR 300 is around so that you get some more money for it? Or has that ship sailed already?

I think a lot of people are going to be excited to buy used CBR 250s once the CBR 300 is around.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
The Takegawa 305cc kit sells for about $300 USD. In addition to the cost of the kit, you would need a good aftermarket programable fuel controller, as well as a quality aftermarket exhaust to take full advantage of the larger displacement of the 305cc kit. Then, after everything is installed you'd want to have the bike dyno tuned to get it all working together. When it's all said and done, you'd easily have spent over $1000 (not including labor) to get that extra 8-10 horsepower... so it's not a cheap proposition. I think most CBR250R owners, myself included, just don't see themselves putting that kind of money into a small bike for several reasons... one major reason being that it doesn't increase the resale value, so you'd never get that money back when you do go to sell it. For me, if I want more power I'll just move up to a more powerful bike... it's a much less costly proposition to get into a bigger bike.

I doubt you will see very many CBR250R owners selling or trading in their bikes for the 300R. There just is not enough of a difference between the two bikes to justify the cost. Besides that, most who move on from the CBR250R after a year or two are moving up to larger displacement motorcycles, at least 500 or 600cc. The CBR300R won't change that... just like the 250R, the 300R will still be considered a entry level sport bike.

There are plenty of brand new 2013 CBR250R's in U.S. dealer inventories right now, as well as in the American Honda Motor Co. distribution warehouses. Some Honda dealers still have a few brand new 2012 CBR250R's (with full factory warranty) available at significantly reduced prices... I've heard of prices as low as $3200 USD for a non-ABS '12 CBR250R. That's an amazing price for a brand new motorcycle.

I know that many of you guys are eagerly waiting for American Honda (and Honda Canada) to make an official announcement regarding the release date for the CBR300R. The latest word on the street is that they won't be available until late spring or early summer, at the earliest. I believe that this is due in part to the current inventory levels of CBR250R's... Honda dealers (and AHMC) want to sell through some of the current inventory before adding the CBR300R to the showroom floors. It only makes sense to do that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with you 100%. Those who want more power from a 250 will simply upgrade to a 500 or 600.

I am just curious as a new buyer because I know some others would take a look a these brand new 250s. look at the newer 300s.. and scratch their head.

do i go for the newer more powerful 300cc for a higher price? or a discounted 250 that is just as good but slightly less power....

and I'm sure some will wonder if its possible to turn the 250 in to a 300

thats just what I was thinking.. Not that I personally would ever do it. I'd say it actually hurts resale value.

·
Registered
707 Posts
That is also true. i have seen guys do the typical upgrade form a 250 to 500 and 600. But not everyone wants double the CC's. Some just find an entry-level type of sport bike to be sufficient and i can't blame 'em.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
That is also true. i have seen guys do the typical upgrade form a 250 to 500 and 600. But not everyone wants double the CC's. Some just find an entry-level type of sport bike to be sufficient and i can't blame 'em.
I intend on keeping my 250R for many years to come... it's really all I need in a sport bike. I have no need or desire for a multi-cylinder 600cc, or liter sport bike. That's not to say I won't want to buy another small sport bike. I'm sure that a couple years from now I'll be checking out the KTM RC390, but if I end up buy one, it won't be replacing my CBR250R... an RC390 would be an addition to my growing motorcycle collection. :cool:

But the point I was trying to make about "upgrading" was this: I just don't think you will be seeing very many 250R owners rushing to sell their bikes so they can buy a new 300R. As I said previously, there just is not going to be enough of a performance difference between the 250R and the 300R to justify what it would cost the owner of a 250R to do that. The majority of those of us who own CBR250R's already know this.

I do however believe that there are more than a few current CBR250R owners who will be taking a look at the forthcoming KTM RC390 with great interest.

Reactions: homefront

·
Registered
707 Posts
I intend on keeping my 250R for many years to come... it's really all I need in a sport bike. I have no need or desire for a multi-cylinder 600cc, or liter sport bike. That's not to say I won't want to buy another small sport bike. I'm sure that a couple years from now I'll be checking out the KTM RC390, but if I end up buy one, it won't be replacing my CBR250R... an RC390 would be an addition to my growing motorcycle collection. :cool:

But the point I was trying to make about "upgrading" was this: I just don't think you will be seeing very many 250R owners rushing to sell their bikes so they can buy a new 300R. As I said previously, there just is not going to be enough of a performance difference between the 250R and the 300R to justify what it would cost the owner of a 250R to do that. The majority of those of us who own CBR250R's already know this.

I do however believe that there are more than a few current CBR250R owners who will be taking a look at the forthcoming KTM RC390 with great interest.
I agree with you on all those points.

Definitely won't see 250 riders lining up around the dealer with cash in hand to buy 300's. I have seen the new bikes from KTM and they are impressive, even seen guys that wanted a 390 jump to the 690.

Would you ever consider the 690?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The RC390 has a hefty price tag.

it looks like a very good low CC motorcycle though

What about the R3?

There are rumors that the Yamaha R3 is going to be the north american 300cc version of the R25.

Seems like a hardcore 250 to me. Kind of like the RC series from KTM.

·
Registered
707 Posts
All they need to do is give that yamaha everything it needs to be legal on the road and sell it as it! I'll happily move from a honda to get it

·
Registered
532 Posts
From what I've gathered from the few moto specific forums I lurk/participate on the consensus seems to be that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't think there will be a huge rush to sell off CBR250s in order to upgrade for CBR300s, but I do think that some people will do this. Just look at when Apple comes out with a new iPhone. People don't need a new one but they wait in line for a brand new one anyway.

I do think that people may skip it because the power hike isn't enough to justify it though. In fact, it may make more sense to sell the CBR250 before the CBR300 comes out because it may be worth a bit more then as opposed to after the CBR300 came out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts