Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a 34t, looking at prices,
2 websites so far,
Sportbiketrackgear seems to be out of stock on the 34t, but sells one for $56.
pmpsprockets does them for $ 50, no mention on availability, and for +$16 have an option "hardkoat", which seems interesting to me, if I only knew what it is..

Any other sources?
I always used rebelgears, they went up in their prices, but their sprockets always lasted me long time.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Shopping for a 34t, looking at prices,
2 websites so far,
Sportbiketrackgear seems to be out of stock on the 34t, but sells one for $56.
pmpsprockets does them for $ 50, no mention on availability, and for +$16 have an option "hardkoat", which seems interesting to me, if I only knew what it is..

Any other sources?
I always used rebelgears, they went up in their prices, but their sprockets always lasted me long time.
It sounds like 'Hardkoat' is PMP's own name for what is also known as hard anodizing*... which also implies that the sprocket is made from aluminum alloy, not steel. Hard anodizing adds a significant amount of service life to the aluminum, beyond what a standard heat treated sprocket would have.

Also worth mentioning is that all those aftermarket anodized colored sprockets you see (primarily made for the Off Road/MX bike market) are not the same as hard anodizing.

While I have no first hand experience with PMP sprockets, I'd say it's worth the extra $16 to get the hard anodized version.

* If you're familiar with Calpalon brand of commercial cookware, their aluminum is hard anodized. It has a dark grey color with a dull matte finish.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Got mine from PMP, they made it to order but it didnt take long. Found them good to deal with.
Yes they are an alloy sprocket. Didnt go with Hardkote option and turns out i didnt need it.
Here is a photo of said sprocket after 12K miles:

Attachments

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rebel gears also uses aerospace grade aluminum alloys.
Hardkoat sounds more like some kind of coating, rather than an alloy mix, but I haven't had the time to ask them what it was.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
**** you chain looks clean!!!!!!!
Seconded. That sprocket and chain is in fantastic shape at that many miles. Keep up the great work and your cleaning method for sure.
15 minutes with kerosene and an old tooth brush then lube with Belray superclean. :)

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've ordered one from Rebel gears. A 34T.
Since I had another order with them pending, they only charged me for the sprocket, not the shipping (as it'll ship with the other order). $43 total. With shipping it would come down to $52.

They didn't guarantee that the sprocket would fit.
I just hope that like Kiwi, they will have the boltholes in the right place, for the chain to fit.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I've ordered one from Rebel gears.
They didn't guarantee that the sprocket would fit.
I just hope that like Kiwi, they will have the boltholes in the right place, for the chain to fit.
That's a bit of a worry that they won't guarantee fit. What other bike is it supossed to fit if not a CBR 250/300?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
You should be sweet then as long as you are using the OEM chain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts