Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I've returned home after 18 days on the road with my bike. Only two of those days were rest days, the rest I was completing a journey from the very South of New Zealand to the top and back again. Longest day in the saddle was only 400 miles tho, it was more about riding quality biking roads than cutting out huge distances. My two companions on this trip were both experienced guys riding Aprilia RSV 1000's (2001 & 2003) so it was always going to be a challenge for me to keep up with bikes sporting 100 more HP than myself, but I like that sort of thing, so here's how it went:

Generally our daily cruising speed range was 60 - 80MPH depending on traffic flows and police presence, so that's all within the capabilities of the 300, but I did pack light! I got the odd high-speed fly by handed out to me but all in good jest. Mostly we were seeking out routes that took in as many curves as possible as we all enjoy sports riding and it was here that the little CBR shone brightly. As long as I kept my cornering speed up by entering as fast as possible with minimal braking and getting on the gas as soon as possible then I was easily able to keep up with the 1000's, even gaining an advantage on sections with corners posted below 50MPH. Here I could power thru using full throttle where they couldn't for fear of losing traction. This combined with the nimbleness of the 300, changing direction and line quickly and effortlessly made for an exhilarating ride at times, occasionally pulling away from the big bikes when it all came together for me. The grin on my dial nearly split the helmet at times! Finally I was able to use all of my rear tyre and get rid of those 'chicken strips' around the outer edge. As a matter of interest I'm still running the original IRC's and I don't think they are as bad as some people reckon but I will still change them for some after market brand before making final verdict. I never had any slides on them and they were defiantly getting pushed hard.
I found the brakes to be fade resistant too when hard charging on down hill sections, couldn't fault them. I'm only 130lb tho and my bike has been lightened some what.
Obviously I had a huge advantage in the fuel consumption stakes, averaging 30km/l or 70MPG.
That great Honda reliability kept me trouble free and I didn't have to even tighten a loose nut or bolt. The only maintenance I did was tension the chain once and lube it every 2nd day.
It appears to not have used any oil which is impressive considering the flogging I gave it!

So I've just clicked over 6K on the clock and my respect for the baby CBR has deepened. My riding companions were impressed with its abilities too. I think she's loosened up a bit in the motor department now and maybe not vibrating as much as before but its all gradual changes and I could be imagining it!
Either way a top speed run is next on the agenda. :D

View attachment 3377

View attachment 3385

View attachment 3393

·
Registered
57 Posts
Awesome thread! Did you experience any of the inherited rattling problems at certain rpms? If so did they bother you enough to make you regret buying the cb300 or do the pros overweigh the cons? (I have been bugging everyone with this question lol since I do not own a cb300 yet.)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kiwi Rider your road surface looks very course and grippy like loose chipped roads in the UK.Here in Thailand on the bendy roads in the countryside the surface is very worn smooth tarmac shiny like glass.I have lost the back end several times and the tyre pressures are correct.So if you can get to the edge it can't be a problem with the tyres.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thread! Did you experience any of the inherited rattling problems at certain rpms? If so did they bother you enough to make you regret buying the cb300 or do the pros overweigh the cons? (I have been bugging everyone with this question lol since I do not own a cb300 yet.)
No rattles with my bike, a little bit of annoying vibration above 6000RPM but nothing I cant live with. No regrets buying one at all, I recommend it even.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Impressive write up my friend! A very inspiring story and makes me look even more forward to the start of spring around here, although im moving states within 4-6 weeks.
Glad to here your bike stood up to the challenge of riding with those Aprilia's; those are some nice bikes!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thataway to make great use of the bike. I passed 2k miles some days ago, and you're already pulling away big time with 6k, lol.

Keep the enjoyment going, partner... Especially with that beautiful scenery you have around there. :)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, yeah Ive def racked up some miles this summer but that will all change soon and it will be the Northern Hemispheres time in the sun. I get the feeling a heap of you are itchin to get out there more often.

Always interesting to hear thoughts from the guys who commute as you really get to know a bike inside out when you ride it daily. My riding really improved on this last trip as i was in the saddle pretty much every day, got myself in the groove so to speak.

Hoping to get a track day in soon before it gets too cool and wet. My tires are two thirds worn now tho so the handling is not as sharp as it was but I'm sure it will still be great fun. :D

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I never take living here for granted. I should really photoshop out my mates aprilia tho! At least its a similar colour. :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks, I never take living here for granted. I should really photoshop out my mates aprilia tho! At least its a similar colour. :D
Glad to hear that :D

Every I know that used to live in cities that move out to zen-like places like that never go back to cities :D

I'm likely to follow that trend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts