Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides the oil change does anyone know what else needs to be done? The dealer charges a ton of money for the first maintenence.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
p35-6 owners manual;

replace; engine oil and filter.

inspect [clean, adjust, lubricate or replace as necessary];
engine idle speed, brake system, clutch system,
nuts/bolts,/fasteners, steering head bearings,
drive chain..

if you do it yourself, keep dockets for oil and filter..
get a small solid notebook and note down changes
and any work you do on her..
for your own info, and to verify
for possible warranty work..

from my experience the tech does go right over
the bike, checking and adjusting everything..

i have a honda oil change kit, incl filter, gasket
and plug which will i will use before,
recommended first service..

most maintenance is in the owners manual..
most of it is fairly self evident, and not the worst
way of spending time doing something useful..

[and pdf manuals are available online]

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Shisoshin has laid out the list of checks but don't get scared off by some of the more technical sounding stuff like idle speed, steering head bearings etc.

You can do this service yourself easily as long as you have some basic tools and a reasonable amount of practical ability.

Having done this 600mile check/service myself on both 250R and 300R I can tell you what I found both times. Nothing other than a loose chain and stretched throttle and clutch cables that needed adjusting. Simple tasks.

The main thing is to get that oil and filter out as both will be impregnated with small metal particles from the bedding in process of the engine internals.

But yes, check over the bike carefully for any loose nuts and bolts. Talking with my dealer he tells me it is extremely rare that they ever need to adjust valve clearances before the first scheduled service at 16,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
A note on Idle Speed, if there is a problem or issue with the idle speed (at operating temp) on a brand new EFI bike, DO NOT try and mess with it yourself... take it back to the dealer to have that issue addressed. Incorrect idle speed will be covered under the Honda New Motorcycle emissions warranty.

Reactions: CBR300R

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally, I'm uncomfortable with checking valve clearances or other things that require getting into the internals of the engine. I plan on changing my oil, chain maintenance, brakes, etc. but when it comes to the motor, I figure there are too many costly errors that can occur. Maybe if I had an engineer or repairman to mentor me I would feel more comfortable.

I will be taking my bike in for its 600 mile maintenance. If they manage to screw up my motorcycle, at least I have some recourse.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
They wont be checking valve clearances at the 600m mile service unless it sounded like something was amiss (extremely unlikely).
Your basically paying good money for someone to change your oil and filter, give it a check over and adjust cables etc.
If your happy with that then that's cool, I just didn't want anyone to be scared off from having a crack at it themselves and saving up to $200.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You can always shop around for the cost on the 600 mile service if you still feel nervous with taking the task on yourself. You might run into a dealer who will do the full job for a bit over a hundred dollars like I did (including parts & labor).

One thing I'll admit... Satisfaction of doing your own maintenance = Priceless. :D

That being said, I'm a wuss. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
They wont be checking valve clearances at the 600m mile service unless it sounded like something was amiss (extremely unlikely).
Your basically paying good money for someone to change your oil and filter, give it a check over and adjust cables etc.
If your happy with that then that's cool, I just didn't want anyone to be scared off from having a crack at it themselves and saving up to $200.
I'm just repeating what the guy in service told me when he rolled the bike out for me. He said that they would be checking valves. They made it sound like this first service was essential, and that I could take care of my own stuff from then on.

Oh well. They are a dealership, after all. I wouldn't put it past them to say something just to get my money.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
new 300 has less than 300km up yet i have my honda oil kit
and intend to change oil and filter soon..

its not that she 'needs' the change, according to svc schedule etc,
but that i want to do it.. at this important phase of engines life..

it isnt the money, and its also that i will know for certain
what type of oil [honda gn4 10w30] goes in there..

when the 600 or thereabouts comes up i will likely
do it again, retaining receipts and noting it for
my own records..

when my cbr250r when in for her 600 svc [bought used,
but under 600km, i wanted valves checked, based on
you never know what previous owner did etc,
but honda svc manager insisted, it wasnt necessary..
he all but refused to have valves checked,
which would have been so easy, and to his
benefit as another cost for me..

i went over 250 and new 300 checking for fairing fasteners
and other available nuts and bolts.. anyone can do this
simple test using honda tools.. easy job, then you know..

also as members note, chain adjustment and lubing etc
are easy and something all motorcyclists should
be able to do whenever they feel it necessary..
[which imo is often, even just the lube]

adjusting throttle and levers incl gear and brake
to suit your feet and hands etc, are also easy
and can be done to suit your preferences
when you do it yourself..
again, honda tools are enough..

even if your not a fanatic about it,
it will still be satisfying, just doing these
simple jobs but necessary things yourself..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies, I will definitely do the work myself and save the $290 the dealer wants to charge me.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just don't ask me for advice. I might just tell you to patch a random oil leak with a stretchy condom of some sort, lol. :laugh:

Good luck, and have fun with the knowledge / appreciation gained after your own effort.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Just don't ask me for advice. I might just tell you to patch a random oil leak with a stretchy condom of some sort, lol. :laugh:
You can be our resident rubber expert Fanatic :D

Which reminds me of a joke: How many condoms does it take to make a tire? .... 365 and its called a Goodyear! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
You can be our resident rubber expert Fanatic :D

Which reminds me of a joke: How many condoms does it take to make a tire? .... 365 and its called a Goodyear! :laugh:
I see, no wonder their tires withstand endurance tests so well, lol. :laugh:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealership about how much this service will cost... $300!!! Yikes. I haven't called any other places to get a comparison, but they said they do oil change, valve clearances, bearings, chain adjustment, etc.

I need some words of encouragement. Tell me that I can do this myself, because now I'm thinking about giving the dealership the finger on this one.

·
Banned
777 Posts
As a beginner, I would opt for the valve adjustment with the dealer, and do the rest yourself.
Should be around $150. However, if the bike has been running fine, I would probably skip this valve adjustment checkup, and do the next one around 8k miles.

Oil change is a piece of cake, 15-20 min max for beginners.
Chain adjustment even easier, <5 min.
Bearings, more than likely nothing needs to be done about it.

Honda bikes pretty much come in perfect condition from the factory. All bolts mounted, with sealant, so it's not like a Chinese bike that you'd have to find spare bolts, because half of them are lost on the last highway trip.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As a beginner, I would opt for the valve adjustment with the dealer, and do the rest yourself.
Should be around $150. However, if the bike has been running fine, I would probably skip this valve adjustment checkup, and do the next one around 8k miles.

Oil change is a piece of cake, 15-20 min max for beginners.
Chain adjustment even easier, <5 min.
Bearings, more than likely nothing needs to be done about it.

Honda bikes pretty much come in perfect condition from the factory. All bolts mounted, with sealant, so it's not like a Chinese bike that you'd have to find spare bolts, because half of them are lost on the last highway trip.
That's what i love about Honda, just about everywhere you go that has honda products you'll find an endless amount of people raving about how good they are.

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Change the oil and filter yourself, ignore the valve adjustment (unless they are obviously rattling - extremely unlikely scenario), ignore the bearing waffle, and tighten your own chain and adjust your own stretched cables. you can do it! We will help if need be:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sounds like yall are getting the screw job on the first maintenance costs. My 300r 1000km first checkup was $100 CAD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The dealer did my 1000km service at 600km when I took my bike in to get the battery replaced under warranty. $160CAD. I didn't even know they were going to do it. I did the oil change myself on my wife's bike, but she insists she wants to take it to the dealer anyway for the rest of it. Will get to see how much of that $160 was for the oil change, I guess.

This was the fourth time removing the fairings and I think I finally have all of the clips figured out. First time on my wife's bike. I practiced on my own a few times first. :)

Just curious, do people actually use torque wrenches when they do their oil change and chain adjustment? I'm lucky that my father lives in my basement suite. He's a retired mechanic, so I have access to some nice tools, including a sweet little dialed inch-pound torque wrench that works nicely for those 9 ft-lb torque bolts.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts