Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my wife a cb300f and the next morning had a small puddle of oil on floor under engine.:(Found oil leaking from the shifter linkage shaft seal on left side of engine. I was wondering if anybody has encountered this. Was curious if the bikes have oil in them on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Lol same thing happened to me. Rode the bike home and parked it in the garage. Next morning I almost slipped on a puddle under the bike. I think it was break fluid that was overflowing after the dealership topped off the fluids. After a couple hundred miles There was no leaking whatsoever.

Disclaimer: I am just an idiot on the internet. Take your bike to the shop while it's under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Just bought my wife a cb300f and the next morning had a small puddle of oil on floor under engine.:(Found oil leaking from the shifter linkage shaft seal on left side of engine. I was wondering if anybody has encountered this. Was curious if the bikes have oil in them on the showroom floor.
All Honda motorcycles leave the factory with all fluids (except gasoline & battery electrolyte) installed... and while dealers do need to check all of the fluid levels during the Pre-delivery Inspection, it's pretty rare that they would have to actually 'top off' any of the factory installed fluids.

As for this oil spot that you found on the floor, how big was the puddle?

If it was a relatively small amount of oil, it's possible that is was just some excess chain lube that had flung off of the chain during those first 70+ miles, and had collected inside the front sprocket cover. Although it not impossible, I'd be surprised if it was actually engine oil leaking from the shift shaft seal.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
IMO, I don't think it's a problem, however still do keep an eye on any consistent and/or outstanding signs and traces.

Since you just bought it very recently, you're welcome to snap a picture of that leak / fluid spot, and show it to your dealer. They should likely offer to double-check everything just to be on the safe side.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I should add that if you looked at the area around the shift shaft seal on my bike (a '12 CBR250R with 15,000 miles), you'd likely think that the seal was leaking engine oil. In reality, it's just residual chain lube fling off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been out for a few days. I just got to look on here and all of ya'll have gave me great information. As soon as I read Motomike's reply a light bulb went off. That explains why the oil was darker in color then the engine oil is. I just looked and the front socket cover is directly about the shifter shaft making it look like the seal was leaking, just like you said motomike. I'm certain now that's all the oil was. I cleaned all the oil off and put another 20 miles and no oil appeared. So happy I don't have to deal with the dealer. Were just waiting on the lowering links so we can both ride. Has anybody played with any gearing to try to drop the rpm's at higher speeds, or will the hurt the acceleration?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
power at the rear wheel relative to rpm
and gear ratios must be a compromise..
it all goes together to form a functioning
whole [motorcycle performance]..

so if you alter gearing thru drive sprocket/s
that must effect overall gearing in all gears..
reducing revs at high speed [in high gear/s]
must also reduce revs thus acceleration
in lower gears..

altho small gradations such as one more or less
tooth at countershaft sprocket say, is more like
fine tuning for the individual, their weight,
loads carried, and typical riding style
and situations.. eg, traffic or motorway etc..

so it depends on how fast is that 'high speed'
and how important is that 'reduced acceleration'..
many members report on general improvement in
acceleration and speed in gears, with perhaps a small
loss in maximum speed on a long run, with one
tooth less ie, 13 countershaft sprocket..
it seems a widely popular alternative..

for some others one more, or 15 teeth
is a popular choice for cruising etc..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just got home from a ride and a little bit of oil is dripping off the case. Sounds like fun

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thread from the dead... I'm asking this because I'm not getting any responses on my other thread. I picked my bike up today, it had one oil drop on the ground that came out of a tube on the bottom of the bike. There looks to be THREE total tubes, which I believe were for condensation or overflow. But oil? I haven't seen something like this. What do you think the problem is? If any. The bike has 15 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thread from the dead... I'm asking this because I'm not getting any responses on my other thread. I picked my bike up today, it had one oil drop on the ground that came out of a tube on the bottom of the bike. There looks to be THREE total tubes, which I believe were for condensation or overflow. But oil? I haven't seen something like this. What do you think the problem is? If any. The bike has 15 miles on it.
I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening. You could check your oil level though, because it's not unknown for new bikes to be overfilled before delivery. Remember the bike must be vertical when you check the level.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless it keeps happening. You could check your oil level though, because it's not unknown for new bikes to be overfilled before delivery. Remember the bike must be vertical when you check the level.
I checked the oil level, had one of my co-workers hold the bike up while I was down there looking at it. The oil level is pretty much right in the middle between the low/high marks.

I have to leave the bike in the warehouse until Sunday. Have to take my truck home and then get a ride back into town to get it. So I will check again after my 50mi commute back home. Hopefully just something overflowed. The drain tubes are there for a reason I assume.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts