Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
The bike is tuned to run on 91, small gain from running 95. when you run 98 you are paying a lot of money for almost no gain over 95. One tip, the bike will run a little rough for a tank if you go from one extreme to the other. Unless you can tune ignition and fuel there is no real benefit to running 98. Having got that out of the way I myself only run 95 or 98 purely to get as far as I can out of each tank because I use it as my daily commute. I really think the 98 only gets me another 25km a tank over 91 but for me that's an extra trip home from work before I have to refill again.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

I never give the petrol companies one cent more than I have to and I've never had a problem - with any vehicle - running the minimum recommended by the manufacturers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
98, the car has to run it or otherwise ping ping ping Bang! so i run the bike on it as well. That way my autopilot brain doesn't have to think which nozzle to grab if i fuel up on the way home from work.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Depends on where you're located,the numbering system differs.
My bike runs best on regular (87 over here). Mid grade would be between 89 and 91, and premium here would be between 91 and 93. 95 octane fuels you don't find in gas stations in USA.

So your average 'regular' would do when you're fueling up.
Mid-grade makes no sense, and quite often mid grade is a mix between regular and premium fueks; and by the time the mid-grade is entering your fuel tank, already 1 gallon of the previous selection of fuels are in your tank; whatever was remaining in the hose.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

I never give the petrol companies one cent more than I have to and I've never had a problem - with any vehicle - running the minimum recommended by the manufacturers.
+1 I tried both 95 & 98 as an experiment and could see no detectable gain which I fully expected given it was designed to run on 91.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
+1 I tried both 95 & 98 as an experiment and could see no detectable gain which I fully expected given it was designed to run on 91.
We only get regular 95 or super 98 in the uk, each pump is seperate so can't mix them. I run 95 on the CBR300 and all works fine. My cb400-4 and CL 400 (XR Engine) only likes 98 without pinking.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
91RON [= about 86PON]

higher octane rating will not improve power, speed
or economy.. higher octane rated petrol burns slower,
which in higher compression ratio combustion chambers
prevents pre-ignition or 'explosion' of compressed fuel
before spark from sparkplug..

my sons cb400sf [11.3:1] uses 95/98RON petrol
whereas cbr250r/300r [10.7:1] uses 91RON petrol
[R1 11.8:1, cbr600rr 12.2:1, moto3 250 racer 15:1]

a few times out of necessity i have used higher RON
petrol when running low at night to avoid ethanol,
from the shell outlet which pollute their 91
with ethanol but not their 98..
using the same well known routes and checking
for performance etc, i detected no improvement
or gain in any performance parameters..

in sydney in the current cycle 95RON is + 13c litre
98RON is + 20c litre over regular/standard or E10..
[E10 being 91RON petrol with 10%ethanol ]

my cbr250r and cbr300r both started first touch
of the button and ran beautifully on 91[no ethanol]
other than a that rare half tank of 98 no ethanol..

Should you use premium fuel? The answer is simple | The New Daily

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
91RON [= about 86PON]

We don't have ethernol in our petrol over here.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Depends on where you're located,the numbering system differs.
My bike runs best on regular (87 over here). Mid grade would be between 89 and 91, and premium here would be between 91 and 93. 95 octane fuels you don't find in gas stations in USA.

So your average 'regular' would do when you're fueling up.
Mid-grade makes no sense, and quite often mid grade is a mix between regular and premium fueks; and by the time the mid-grade is entering your fuel tank, already 1 gallon of the previous selection of fuels are in your tank; whatever was remaining in the hose.
I use 92 octane 99% of the time. Once in a while if my Mobil station is closed I'll go to Sunoco and they have 93. I always use the same exact gas station tho. Mobil

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
91RON [= about 86PON]

In the U.S. the Govt. tries to use ethanol in all of our gas. I hate it I can definitely tell a difference between now and the old days.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yea..the US tries to "promote" that swill by using it in their Nascar Races...

Reactions: mikal and dsimmo

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
In the U.S. the Govt. tries to use ethanol in all of our gas. I hate it I can definitely tell a difference between now and the old days.
Despite all the hatred/dislike of ethanol blended fuels, (I'm not a fan of ethanol blended fuels either) these bikes are in fact designed and manufactured by Honda to operate without issue using gasoline blended with up to 10% ethanol. It's all clearly spelled out in the Owner's Manual.

It is concerning that the 'powers that be' in the U.S. are looking at making 15% ethanol blends (aka "E15 Fuel") as the new standard... obviously that would be a huge issue for vehicles that were designed & built to tolerate no more than a 10% ethanol blend.

Reactions: mikal and shisoshin

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
We don't have ethernol in our petrol over here.
ditto, new concept to me.
The "corn as fuel" ethanol industry is heavily subsidized by the U.S. Government here. So this diluting of our gasoline with ethanol may also explain (at least in part) why we pay significantly less for motor vehicle fuel as compared to what you blokes across the ponds pay for an equivalent quantity of fuel.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
bear in mind that '10%' is not a precise measurement[!]
you just cannot be sure the actual percentage
going into your tank..

check your warranty conditions
on ethanol, also known effects
even if bikes and cars can
run on it..

my hondas have all run quite well
on pure unpolluted petrol..

·
Banned
777 Posts
From running various fuel blends in Miami, I can tell that certain gas stations have better fuels than others.
In order of performance, they would be:

Better than average:
1- BP (Undoubtedly number one for many decades, especially their premium fuels, upto 10% better performance)
2- Shell (their premium (AKA V-POWER) blends have about 5% better performance than stock fuels).

Regular fuel:
Anything from Sunoco, Mobil, Texaco, Esso, Racetrack, and other unknown gas station brands...

Below average, suggesting either high % ethanol, or bad blends:
Citgo: -2 to -5% performance
Chevron: -5 to -10% performance.

Chevron is by far the worst fuel ever! It has loads of water in it, and burns really bad.
One of my cars had to be towed after fueling up there, and cars fueling there, usually leak water out of their exhausts.

Mobil isn't that bad, it has some oils mixed in the fuel, making your engine run a lot smoother.

*Gas reviews are highly subjective, and may differ from region to region, and from fuel load to load.

·
Banned
777 Posts
We only get regular 95 or super 98 in the uk, each pump is seperate so can't mix them. I run 95 on the CBR300 and all works fine. My cb400-4 and CL 400 (XR Engine) only likes 98 without pinking.

You could alternate fillups between premium (hi-oct) and regular (lo-oct).
That way, whatever is still in the tank will compensate for whatever you put in there.
Unless gas stations you fuel up in, have 2 separate hoses, most of the time, the hose will have about 1/2 to 1 gallon of previously selected fuels in them.

So if you have 1 gal of regular left in the tank, and the guy before you selected regular, and you fuel up as premium fuel, you probably only get 50% of premium fuel, with 50% of regular (the remaining of the tank, and the remaining in the gas station hose before the premium blend comes out).

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
You could alternate fillups between premium (hi-oct) and regular (lo-oct).
That way, whatever is still in the tank will compensate for whatever you put in there.
Unless gas stations you fuel up in, have 2 separate hoses, most of the time, the hose will have about 1/2 to 1 gallon of previously selected fuels in them.

So if you have 1 gal of regular left in the tank, and the guy before you selected regular, and you fuel up as premium fuel, you probably only get 50% of premium fuel, with 50% of regular (the remaining of the tank, and the remaining in the gas station hose before the premium blend comes out).
Mee Lee: Please read what I put:
a) Our petrol stations have sperate pumps for different octane - 1 for 95 and 1 for 98 and also 1 for diesel.
b) my cbr300R runs fine on 95 octane petrol why on earth would I want to change it.
c) My CB400-4 and CL400 (Japanese Gray Imports) both run well on 98, so why change the jets and re setup the carbs?

Reactions: Treve82
1 - 20 of 44 Posts