Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Got out for a few hours on the 300 yesterday and thought I'd post some early thoughts and observations. Bear in mind that these are the humble observations of a learner rider with little comparative experience on other bikes, but I hope they'll answer some common questions for folks who might be considering a CBR300 as their next ride. Plus, we need to stimulate some conversation on here :)
Firstly, the bike had plenty of torque to keep up with traffic in the lower (4000-6000 rpm) rev range, with a conservative amount of throttle applied. I was pleasantly surprised by this- I guess I was expecting to have to push it a lot harder than I did. She happily climbed the hills on the way home in the same sort of rev range with little effort (I live in the hills to the east of Perth- the climb is relatively steep and is a fair test of any low-powered vehicle).
Comfort was fine, 3 hours in the saddle didn't leave me with any back or shoulder pain. The seat design made it easy to slide forward towards the tank and ride in a more upright position every now and then to keep fresh.
Spent a bit of time on the highway at ~100 km/hr and she was revving at ~6000 rpm in 6th gear. Didn't sound laboured at all, and there was no significant vibration coming through the bike. Gave her a quick squirt to get a feel for overtaking ability at this speed and there was enough acceleration left to feel safe.
Considering how short the front screen is, wind buffeting (surprisingly) wasn't an issue at highway speeds. Leaning forward to streamline myself on the bike didn't feel any different, which tells me that the screen is doing its job well. I am only 5'10" though. I felt that travelling at this speed for any significant period of time wouldn't be an issue.
Fuel economy is yet to be determined, but at this stage it's looking pretty good. The front brakes are adequate (non-ABS model), the rear brakes are quite spongy but serviceable. The bike was a pleasure to manoeuvre through tight streets and traffic at low speeds. Also, I was surprised to note that the engine was loud enough to be heard at all speeds I rode at (without the benefit of ear plugs to drown out the whistling wind). Handy.
Does anybody want to add their thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice review of the bike !! I've been waiting for two months for someone to buy a bike and give a good account of their impressions of it. You're the first one. Thanks !! I'll be getting either a CB300F or CBR300R when I return to Guatemala in December. Safe riding, man.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good write up.. its a super bike.

I do very different riding to you all of mine is city driving.. needed a bike to commute to work in Bangkok.. originally from Oz had a Ninja 300 when I first got here. Smashed into a car. Bike was a write off.

Decided to get a 300.

After riding both bikes for city driving.. hands down I prefer the Honda. Sitting position.. torque.. stopping and starting and getting through traffic.

For my size 6'1 and if I want to carry a passenger get the CBR

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just that the specs are impressive for new riders or even experienced riders who like a small, light bike. While experienced riders often handle heavier, taller bikes, even if the rider is of modest height, such as myself at just under 5'7", a bike like the CB300F or R is just easier to handle and safer. While you can drop any bike, it is so much easier to drop a heavy, tall bike in a variety of everyday situations, and when you do, you may not even be able to get the bike back up without help. Who needs that? If you've experienced stopping and putting your left foot down on some sand or gravel and having the foot slide out, you appreciate that there is no recovering from that with a bike that is too heavy or tall for you. Probably much less of an issue for the 5'9" and over riders. I know the bike will do 80 mph all day long and that will keep you in the middle or even the passing lane of most interstates. It's not a street fighter, touring bike, or race bike, but it is a good all-around bike and should be one of the best commuters out there. Mileage will be very similar to the CBR250r....excellent in other words. I've owned the Ninja 300, so I will be interested to see how it handles and sticks to the road at higher speeds compared to that bike. Maybe tomorrow I'll find out if the dang rain stops.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@Ortega not seriously injured but busted hand arm and shoulder and didnt want to get on a bike for a while.. Never again I said. Bloody taxis. 5 months later here I am with the honda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi there... am interested in getting a cbr300r and just wanted to ask you owners 2 questions after I had a quick test drive.....

1. freeway speeds. cbr300r seems to pull just fine up to 70 possibly 75mph no problem. I wasn't able to test it (due to traffic) past 75. How do you find the pull at 75mph to 80-85 or so? To me it seemed pretty good (compared to my Ninja 300 which surprised me.. i thought the Ninja was supposed to be more powerful up top.. but that torque is pretty incredible and much more usable than the Ninja 300's power i thought).

2. For whatever reason, and I have not heard this reported by many cbr300r reviews (including this one). When I returned to the dealership and they asked me what i thought, I told them i loved the cbr300r and thought it was much more usable (per #1 above) and that if it weren't for the super vibey seat (which had hella vibrations on the freeway) - i might even switch my Ninja 300 for the cbr300r (instead of the 500r i came in to take a look at). what has been your guys's experience with vibrations at freeway speeds? Most reviews mention some wrist vibration but not too many have reported seat vibrations. I felt nothing in the wrists but TONS of seat vibrations.

Maybe the bike I rode had something not re-assembled correctly?

I want to know b/c if i was just on a faulty bike and the vibrations are minimal, or not nearly as pronounced as i experienced, I may want to look more seriously into a 300r instead of the 500r for me (long distance freeway commuting).

Thanks for your help and input!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've not ridden the CBR300R, but my decision to buy one has been based on what I've read about the bike and my experience of my CRF250LD.

The brief I gave myself to purchase:

1.A good looking ( same colour scheme as the CBR1000RR, CBR600RR and CBR500R which I like).

2. Low purchase price

3. Low running costs

4. 100% use of all its performance

From the research I've done, the closest alternative for me would be the new Yamaha YZF-R3 but that doesn't come out in the UK until April, will be more expensive and I see initial demand being high.

I'm also hoping to have the rebuild on my NC35 / RVF400RR finished next year, and between the CBR300R and NC35 there is a good power gap. The NC35 is almost twice as powerful :) .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've owned a cbr300r for a few months now, and I haven't noticed any seat vibration. As far at pull at higher speeds, I find 5th gear to have a lot more pull than 6th

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've not ridden the CBR300R, but my decision to buy one has been based on what I've read about the bike and my experience of my CRF250LD.

The brief I gave myself to purchase:

1.A good looking ( same colour scheme as the CBR1000RR, CBR600RR and CBR500R which I like).

2. Low purchase price

3. Low running costs

4. 100% use of all its performance

From the research I've done, the closest alternative for me would be the new Yamaha YZF-R3 but that doesn't come out in the UK until April, will be more expensive and I see initial demand being high.

I'm also hoping to have the rebuild on my NC35 / RVF400RR finished next year, and between the CBR300R and NC35 there is a good power gap. The NC35 is almost twice as powerful :) .
Indeed a good looker, sure beats what other entry-level bikes looked like in the past, one the reasons why i avoided the CBR250 for some time, but this time around even the 250 doesn't look that bad at all.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hi there... am interested in getting a cbr300r and just wanted to ask you owners 2 questions after I had a quick test drive.....

1. freeway speeds....

2. ... the super vibey seat ....
1. Freeway speeds - I regularly hit freeway speeds in all kinds of conditions such as head-winds and elevation changes, etc. I have been able to accelerate strongly from 75 mph to get out of trouble. There is plenty of power to get up to 90 mph. I am 5' 10" and 185 lbs.

2. If you come from a smoother bike such as an inline-4 then yes it will seem super vibey. I too felt that way at first, but got used to it fairly quickly. After not riding for a long while such as the past 4 day Thanksgiving weekend, I noticed the vibrations a lot more, but quickly disappeared after some time on the bike. My commute is anywhere from 45 mins to 1hr 15 mins each way. At the 45 minute mark, my hands do get a bit numb and my butt also goes a bit numb. But it was a similar experience on my old GSX-R 750. It is smoothing out a bit since I bought it too. Maybe it's all in my mind :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Indeed a good looker, sure beats what other entry-level bikes looked like in the past, one the reasons why i avoided the CBR250 for some time, but this time around even the 250 doesn't look that bad at all.
Honda have done a good job with the styling and I'm confident it will go as good as it looks :) .

·
Registered
5 Posts
1. Freeway speeds - I regularly hit freeway speeds in all kinds of conditions such as head-winds and elevation changes, etc. I have been able to accelerate strongly from 75 mph to get out of trouble. There is plenty of power to get up to 90 mph. I am 5' 10" and 185 lbs.
Okay sounds great. That's how it felt to me too and good to confirm. thank you!

2. If you come from a smoother bike such as an inline-4 then yes it will seem super vibey. I too felt that way at first, but got used to it fairly quickly.
I'm currently riding a Ninja300 and b/c it's so top-end biased and need to be revved at beyond 7k-9k regularly for power (about at 9k at freeway speeds out here in california), it's rather vibey on my commute (40 miles/way - 1-2 hrs per way) and thus my throttle hand numbs up pretty good - and I'm rather conscious about staying light on my grip).

However, no vibrations through the body / seat so everything else besides my hands are fine.

So would you say the vibration is just something you get used to even if it's quite prevalent?
Or is it that it's just not that extensive and thus you quickly forget about it (and only have a light occasional numbing due to it?)

Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts