Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this on my blog but, I think it would do well here as well. :) I will update it later with my second prototype in the next month or so when I get enough to get another set of rear grab handles. Unless someone would like to kindly donate some to me :)

So, I bought a motorcycle back in May 2015 it is a Honda CB300F. I have been using it to commute from home to work and around town, so far everything has been great, for the most part. But using a backpack was not really cutting it for me, I then decided on buying saddle bags, I did quite a bit of research, tried a few, and all of them kept getting to close to my exhaust, they were about an inch away or less for the most part. I then saw the Cortech Super 2.0 Saddle bags, thankfully my local dealership had them so I did not have to order them from online. They had more clearance than all of the others at a whopping 1.5 inches from my exhaust. They also had the tendency of gravitating towards my wheel well.

Naturally I looked online for brackets, and no avail the only ones I could find were around 200 to 200 dollars, and they were not universal. So I decided on making my own, and right now it is a preliminary design that I still have to improve upon, I plan on integrating it to the rear handle rails and a third mounting point on either the rear inner fender or to the passenger foot peg bracket for reinforcement and also instead of the cheap aluminum I used I plan on using either thicker aluminum or steel.
The finished prototype

I started off with a aluminum rod, it was 3 feet long, and 1 and a half inches wide, and 1/8 of an inch thick, I marked dead center, and with a permanent marker and also 6 inches to both sides. then another at around 9 inches.
6 Inches from the center on both sides
9 inches
Once you have those you are going to want to bent on those marks so you have something that looks like this, you can do the middle portion with a slight bend that way the side of the bracket are touching the rear grab rails, and the rear seat and body panels receive minimal contact.
Once you are done with the shape I really suggest sanding the edges of it so that they are not sharp, and for good measure wrap them with tape, I used duck tape this time, but on the next revision I am going to be using Handle bar tape that is used on bicycles, since it has a bit of padding on it and is also more abrasion resistant.
A shot of the rear that I took for a test fit. I needed to bend the bracket a little more.​
Middle Portion of bracket Mounted
Right Side of Motorcycle.​
Right Underside of Motorcycle.​
Gap between Exhaust and bag​
Left Underside of Motorcycle.​
My Helper Fatboy
Front Shot
I Don’t think it turned out to Shabby
Considering it only took me about 15 minutes to make and about 10 bucks in materials.​

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but don't suppose you could revive the images? Trying to work out a solution for these bags on my CBR300 at the moment!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about that I cancelled my web hosting account. I will look for the images on my machine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that I cancelled my web hosting account. I will look for the images on my machine.

I didn't find a photo of the bracket I will have to look for it out back. When I had it adjusted properly it was good enough to hold the bags in place with a decent load on them. Gallon of milk each and other stuff.

I use bungee cords now they are quite convenient.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Are those the Coretech bags? I've found with a towel under the main straps to increase the height of the rear seat they mount ok, but they're at a crazy angle still and I'd feel happier with something pushing them out away from the wheel. Might have to just see what I can rig up from the passenger foot pegs.

Guess I'll need to get a dog too :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts