Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Pardon me if this kind of thread as been created already, but I'm trying to seek some education in shifting (especially downshifting) properly on my new bike.

I googled a bit and watched a video and read a bit on blipping the throttle to create a smoother downshift while matching the engine speed. I also discovered some technique on braking and downshifting before taking a turn.

Basically, I've practiced the heel-toe technique on a car, but was wondering how different things were on a bike. Sorry, I probably should have learned some of this before getting the bike, but here I am, lol.

A buddy had mentioned that blipping the throttle when downshifting isn't necessary and may be used more frequently when riding competitively to keep the RPM's speed & momentum going. He mentioned that this may do more harm to to the bike as well. He's a good friend, so I don't mean to throw him under the bus... Just wanted to seek different perspectives so that I may get a better understanding.

Thank you in advance for any input and advice in regards to this topic. :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yo man
I ran into the same ways to practice downshifting, engine braking vs pulling the clutch and using brakes to slow. I have been practicing both (except for now cause its winter now) and I like engine braking cause you can more easily take off while your bike slows down (due to traffic or something). Blipping the throttle is tough to get I think. It jerks the bike a bit but maybe im not doing it right. To be honest, I try to replicate what I do in a manual car; keeping it in a gear that is in line with the speed I am going. Not sure if what I do is an acceptable "riding technique" or not but its been good to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts