Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, (First post!)

Has anyone here ever gotten a ticket for running an aftermarket exhaust system?

I recently put a Coffman shorty slip-on on my CBR300R and it is way louder than my stock exhaust. I did not remove the baffle by the way. Also for reference, I live in VA

·
Registered
419 Posts
It IS possible. Likely-hood is very low as long as you aren't riding like a douche at the wrong time a.k.a. flooring it past a bacon-mobile in a suburban area. Up in the mountains the cops won't give a poop how loud you are. Just use your common sense.

You can also have tickets for no signals with integrated turn lights and things like that. Keep that in mind for anything that doesn't meet road standards. I had to argue with a cop (who I followed as he sped 30 km/hr over speed limit) after he pulled me over because he said my Rizoma turn signals wouldn't be bright enough. I in fact hadn't used my signals to merge off highway and he was looking for a reason to pull me over. Once he realized I was a civilized person with a brain, he let me go acknowledging that my argument was fair. I made sure to point out that there are lots of hooligan riders out there that cause discrimination against sport bikes, it was that point he realized he was being unreasonable.

I made sure I didn't tell him about the wheelies......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It IS possible. Likely-hood is very low as long as you aren't riding like a douche at the wrong time a.k.a. flooring it past a bacon-mobile in a suburban area. Up in the mountains the cops won't give a poop how loud you are. Just use your common sense.

You can also have tickets for no signals with integrated turn lights and things like that. Keep that in mind for anything that doesn't meet road standards. I had to argue with a cop (who I followed as he sped 30 km/hr over speed limit) after he pulled me over because he said my Rizoma turn signals wouldn't be bright enough. I in fact hadn't used my signals to merge off highway and he was looking for a reason to pull me over. Once he realized I was a civilized person with a brain, he let me go acknowledging that my argument was fair. I made sure to point out that there are lots of hooligan riders out there that cause discrimination against sport bikes, it was that point he realized he was being unreasonable.

I made sure I didn't tell him about the wheelies......

Yeah I have already mentally prepared my argument for if I do get pulled over. My bike still is no where near as obnoxious as most of the Harleys in my area (90% of which do not have stock pipes) Its only 286CCs, if a cop tries to ticket me, that's BS

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yeah I have already mentally prepared my argument for if I do get pulled over. My bike still is no where near as obnoxious as most of the Harleys in my area (90% of which do not have stock pipes) Its only 286CCs, if a cop tries to ticket me, that's BS
That is no defence in law, like saying, "But I only stole a tee shirt, I didn't rob a bank." :)

Just accept that you are breaking the law (assuming you are - I don't know the laws where you live) and hope that you don't meet a cop who needs one more ticket to fill his quote, or is in a bad mood.

Aside from the law though, IMO loud pipes are a liability because they let everybody know within three miles radius that you're dialling in warp speed. If any of those folks happen to be the aforementioned grumpy policeman, he'll have plenty of time to get his trusty speed gun out......

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hello, (First post!)

Has anyone here ever gotten a ticket for running an aftermarket exhaust system?

I recently put a Coffman shorty slip-on on my CBR300R and it is way louder than my stock exhaust. I did not remove the baffle by the way. Also for reference, I live in VA
Any of those "shorty" cans are insanely loud... so much louder than the typical sized aftermarket slip-ons that I think you're running the risk of being ticketed.

I also wonder whether these short cans provide enough back pressure to ensure good low & mid range power.

I know a lot of people buy these so-called mufflers because they are cheap as compared to a quality, name brand slip-on, but IMO they are just a waste of money.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Is the "cat" in the stock muffler? If so, do the aftermarket units include one??
I don't know of any aftermarket slip-ons that include a cat. If there are, they would no doubt be expensive.

The majority of aftermarket units are sold "For closed course/competition use only", which gets the manufacturers off the hook. According to US Federal emissions laws, it's illegal to modify any motor vehicle exhaust which is intended for street/public road use. State by state enforcement is another story though. The state of California has clamped down on motorcycle exhausts in recent years. If one lives in a state/county which requires emissions testing at the time of registration renewal, you may have problems getting your bike passed with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The only aftermarket slip on that I know of that is street legal is Scopion. They are from the UK and is street legal there which means steet legal in EU. Aren't street legal in the US cause they don't want to pay $$$ to certify for street. The Scorpion for the cbr250 is actually DOT and CARB compliant, which is unheard of for aftermarket exhaust. As for the scorpion on my 300f it isn't much louder then stock with the insert.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
So how does the bike do with no "feedback" from the "oxy" sensor??
The oxygen sensor is located in the first few inches of the head pipe on the 300R (it's in the cylinder head casting on the 250R), so whether or not the cat is present has no bearing on the functioning of the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, would have looked myself; but, it has been well into the triple digits the last few days and I can't take the heat!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts