Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if I remember correctly, before the cbr300 was released, honda had photos of the black/yellow model with yellow rims. where can I get aftermarket rims for this bike? or oem rims of different colors? I've been searching online and all I can find for rims is for cruisers or higher cc bikes.

I did however find one site that has rims that might fit, but they were over $1000 for the set.

any help is appreciated. if anything this change would just be for looks. other than possible weightloss.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I think your cheapest option would be to get your ones spray painted to what ever color you want.

You could consume a lot of time and energy trying to find aftermarket rims that may potentially not fit 100%. There is a heck of a lot of variables between rims.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm with these two guys. A lot of expense for little return. Paint, powder coat or dip. That's the way to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found another site with rims. But these ones ended up being about $2000 for the set. Thanks for the replies, I think I'll learn the ropes and pull the old wheels off and spray them myself. Hopefully I can find a color that will match the main yellow, so far I have 2 or 3 different yellows on the bike, no one notices until I tell them tho xD I'm liking the "Tron" look, and maybe find a matching yellow, but if that doesn't work out, maybe gold?(impreza style?)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you get the black/yellow paint job? If so, just go back to your dealer and ask for the stickers. I think most just ignore them and hope you don't say anything. That's basically what my dealer told me anyway, haha.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
No don't spray that looks like such a hack and will get scratched up easy. Better to have them powder coated. They'll get media blasted first then powder coat. Think it'll coast a couple hundred.
This is good advice. I did up a project bike once and changed the rim color from gold to black. First I sand blasted the old paint off which i was able to do myself as we had a blaster at work. Then I got them professionally powder coated. Came up a treat and stayed that way. Got lots of favorable comments on the wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Like I said before, all the yellow on the SE model is applied as stickers, not paint. Even on the rims. The wheels come black from the factory and the dealer is supposed to apply the yellow to them as part of set-up/delivery. I had to ask because my SE wheels came all black. If yours is suppose to have the yellow (I.E. you bought an SE) and they don't, then head in to your dealer and ask about it. If you didn't buy the SE and just want the yellow you could still ask the dealer about it, maybe they'll hook you up.

And how painting the rims looks in the end is just like paint anywhere else, it's 75% prep & 25% application technique. I lightly sanded the OEM wheels on my car then used half a can of paint & prime all-in-one on each wheel. While I'd consider that crappy paint work they looked perfect for several months before the first light chip. Now over a year later they still look good enough not to be worth powder coating.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The reason aftermarket rims are so expensive is because of their weight. Usually they are lightweight forged racing wheels, especially for a CBR, regardless of engines size. Definitely not worth the coin on something as small as the 300 unless you religiously track the bike.

100% just get them powder coated, not spray bombed. They will last a LOT longer and look better during that time. Plasti-dip as one other person suggested would likely work pretty well too, plus you can always peel it off to go back to the original colour if you wanted.

Sad that that gold colour on the special edition is a sticker setup. If they charge the extra 500$ it should be for paint, not a bunch of cheap stickers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like I said before, all the yellow on the SE model is applied as stickers, not paint. Even on the rims. The wheels come black from the factory and the dealer is supposed to apply the yellow to them as part of set-up/delivery. I had to ask because my SE wheels came all black. If yours is suppose to have the yellow (I.E. you bought an SE) and they don't, then head in to your dealer and ask about it. If you didn't buy the SE and just want the yellow you could still ask the dealer about it, maybe they'll hook you up.
is this for all countries?

I'm waiting for a call back from my dealership about this, they don't seem to be aware of it but they're gonna call around and find out for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts