Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a number of "full systems" as well as many slip-on "cans." You can spend a ton of cash for a very small amount of useable performance in a given RPM range and for me, that just doesn't work.
Looks may be another factor but the way I see it, the stock exhaust is stylish, down only .4 HP, won't bring the cops running every time you gas it and since I won't be riding to often at 9,000 rpm, I'll spend my money ($350) on something that I would consider more important or of greater value; like ten nice dinners at a cozy restaurant with my wife. :angel:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I totally agree with you "Pork Chop".
You can do 60mph and it sounds like 40mph to a policeman with a standard exhaust.
With an aftermarket 40mph sounds like 60mph.
In my teens I thought it was a way to impress the girls but now I'm old and wise.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess it depends on your point of view.

Looking at the twobros exhaust $680 gets you a 5.7% increase in power and a roughly 3% reduction in overall weight.

Working on the idea that the increases are valid of course.

If I could get those same percentages out of a performance part for my car, I'd gladly spend the $680.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't know that an exhaust that makes more noise would bring the cops running necessarily. My experience is that they tend to leave you alone unless you are acting like a total squid.

I would argue that it's better to have a louder exhaust because, as they say in the MSF course, you want to be seen and heard by the drivers around you. Whatever makes your presence known makes you safer on the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
in sunny cal. a modified exhaust will get you a large fine as the new Hondas all have cats in the mufflers.
imo
loud pipes just you sound like a Harley rider, you can't here them coming, only as they go by and long after they'er gone.

·
Registered
236 Posts
in sunny cal. a modified exhaust will get you a large fine as the new Hondas all have cats in the mufflers.
imo
loud pipes just you sound like a Harley rider, you can't here them coming, only as they go by and long after they'er gone.
Every time I learn something new about California, it makes me less inclined to ever want to live there.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
not all are motivated by a few extra horses..
my cbr250r had a leo vince evoII eu approved carbon s/o
which was way lighter than the stock anchor, fitted as if
it was designed for the bike rather than an add-on,
thus had a co-ordinated visual appeal as well..
esp on the all black motorcycle..
it had both db killers in and could be ridden
fairly quietly when necessary, such as early
morning starts.. but would be heard when
loaded, such as overtakes etc..
i could live with that..

however first time i burned my knuckle placing
rear disc lock on new cbr300r [a real burn in only
a brief contact, i thought there was something wrong
with the engine, posting here for advice from members..
responses confirming that this burning heat is 'normal'...

apparently the cat process' inside cause this excessive heat..
couldnt put my cover over it for fear of touching/melting it..
but the idea of ever having the bike on top of me, or onto
a pillion passenger, aside from any thought of power
or appearance, made up my mind about another
good quality well made slip on..

·
Registered
96 Posts
You can purchase an expensive and loud full exhaust, or you can purchase an aftermarket header only, then find a Titanium Silencer on eBay from one of the other bigger CBs that has the same (or similar) mounting holes and pipe diameter, then have a speed shop throw together a custom mid-pipe for a grand total of less than $600.

The benefits are better performance than OEM, lighter weight than OEM, stock look (complete with the Honda stamping on the silencer!) and the same or very close to the same sound level as stock. I installed the FMF header, Titanium Gixxer600 silencer, and custom mid-pipe for a grand total of $585 and only went up .5dB on my exhaust sound level on my DR650

I like Carbon fiber as much as the next guy but I laid my bike down several times off-roading and I think the Titanium held up far better than CF would have.

Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Big Buck$... and once again, not much of a performance gain but that's up to the individual, of course! Matter of fact, using a larger (600 or 750 can on a 286cc engine) could cause a loss of power but only the dyno could reveal that. Good luck on future projects!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did in the past all after market jets-carb mods, slip-on and open air box on a DR650. At the end it was wonderful for me !

When i started the bike at 6:00am for the first time, all the windows were opened on the house, wife and kids went out of bed mad at me. My neighbors, probably too.

Harley says"Loud pipes saves lifes" No way !

One guy near my house bought a sport bike with a loud pipe and i felt in the same way. Grrrrrrrrrrr about that pipe.

Each ride was a stress to open gaz without a cop around.
So my full mod DR650 went out 2 years ago.

My CB300F will stay stock on that part. Nobody ear me going out or in the garage. Look sweat anyway.

Yvan says: Stock pipe save money !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking at the twobros exhaust $680 gets you a 5.7% increase in power and a roughly 3% reduction in overall weight.

No big numbers here on a 30HP engine, maybe 1.3hp with exhaust on. What about a power commander to let your injection work correctly. Too much money to have that big return on handlebar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I totally agree with you "Pork Chop".
You can do 60mph and it sounds like 40mph to a policeman with a standard exhaust.
With an aftermarket 40mph sounds like 60mph.
In my teens I thought it was a way to impress the girls but now I'm old and wise.
In my teens, I thought loud pipes impressed the girls. Now I realize that loud pipes insure cars notice you

Most motercyclists die when a car makes a left turn into an intersection. I will be trying my best to make sure they notice me. You will be doing your best to be silent, because you are "wise"

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
exhaust on this designed-for-economy honda
includes catalytic converter to comply with
societies with cat laws, thus heavy and hot..

without these restrictions you would have
lightweight, tight fitting integrated design
efficient mufflers or full systems..

power comes thru burning of petrol mix
in combustion chamber, moderated by how much
flows in and how much combustion product
flows out thru exhaust..
full exhaust requires tuning for full power,
slip ons designed to run on stock turning,
with some modest power gains..

riders often choose colours and graphics etc
as personal preference.. same for mufflers
which stand out and either enhance lines
or perhaps look like an add on afterthought..

for me and my all black motorcycle a well made
leo vince evoII [eu approved] carbon slip on
really set off the lines and design of cbr250r..
not to mention big weight saving..
with both noise reducers in she sounded ok
and could be ridden,, quietly when necessary,
only making real noise from strong loading
such as overtakes etc..
ie, you can ride the motorcycle quietly,
with good s/o and db reducers in..

cbr300r muffler is a good compromise
attempt by honda engineers based on years
of complaints from owners about the heavy
'boat anchor' on their 250's..
it looks pretty normal, allows some sound
and sits fairly well on the motorcycle..
only problem is it has the cat inside
and gets very [too] hot..

she will be getting a nice leo vince carbon s/o
or perhaps an akro or similar, in due course..

if your exhaust makes a lot of noise,
and you choose to make that noise, then
there can be a real factor of getting noticed..
on my cb750/4 which had an open 4 into 1
system, whenever i came up behind traffic
or cars at lights etc, i would give her a rev
to get their attention [eyes in rearview mirrors]
not, excessively, but enough..

even with the leo vince on my sbr250r
it was enough when blipped to get the attention
of pedestrians about to step onto the road
in front of me [one carrying a baby]
without reaching for the horn
[which is poorly located on 300r]..
that potential sound is readily available
thru a small throttle easy throttle blip..

its similar to arguments about stock tyres
vs aftermarket tyres.. some swear by the stock,
other change for radials etc asap..
depends how you ride, and what
your priorities are..

it is possible to have your cake
and eat it too...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Like your comment above...Shisoshin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok seriously people. It's really not a difficult topic. Slip on exhausts give some (1 - 2%) performance gain through less airflow restriction. They generally weight less (about 8lbs less) than a standard cbr300r exhaust, something like the Akrapovic for instance. A full blown system (which removes the CAT) gives you more like a 3 - 6% improvement on power, which will involve you installing a high flow air filter and some type of power commander system to load your new tune.

Is it worth it on a 300cc bike for performance purposes, absolutely not, buy a new bike with more power. Is it worth it to change the tone of the engine? That's the decision you have really. Having louder exhaust has nothing to do with impressing women, in fact its a girl in my neighbourhood that has a 300 with a slip-on. Some people like the vacuum cleaner silencer sound, others want to hear its true glory. Annoying see people talk about how great they are cause they don't "require" a different exhaust note. Louder isn't always better, but if you appreciate the sound of that 300 stock exhaust I challenge your taste in motorcycles.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This forum is weird in the way that the 300 has attracted the first time rider and very experienced riders looking for something more civil. Not really much in between from what I've seen.

So we have people wanting to change things up because it's their first bike and they are young and having fun. I once poured $10k into a Mazda RX-7 and it went really fast then exploded (twice). I was younger and having fun and I would do it all again.

The experienced crowd has been there and done that and don't have the same tolerance for throwing money at their toys to impress their friends, themselves, make new sounds, etc..

I think if we spent more time focusing on HOW to change your exhaust instead of WHY to change your exhaust we can have a real discussion. Imagine searching this thread or any other 300 exhaust related thread a year from now? They are all pretty much useless.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
1.06 x bugger all = bugger all ;)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
@tilac you make a very valid point there and I would have quoted you but I'm on my phone with out that function.
I too have probably been guilty at times of poo pooing some of the newbie riders views and have made a mental note to be more understanding in future.
There are some topics more controversial than others that folk believe their personal view on to be word.
Top three would be: Exhausts, tyres & gearing.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
As of now I am bike less..but I am in the market for something new. I have always liked small lightweight motorcycles because of the flick-ability ease of "handling" and the fun factor.

So as far as exhaust changes go...I am on the fence. Being that the 300 R is built for low and mid range RPM torque..power of an aftermarket exhaust is limited by engine design. So for me the performance increase IMHO is not worth the $$$ spent. However..I too understand the thought "Loud Pipes Save Lives" theory and can appreciate those reasons for an exhaust change.

For me the exhaust "muffler" on the new 300 R looks allot better than the stock exhaust of the CBR 250 R so I could live easily with the stock 300 R muffler.

I have seen you tube videos of after market exhausts fitted to other small 300 cc bikes resulting in power gains of 1.5 HP and torque increases of .44 ft/lbs. Not much power gain IMHO over stock exhaust. The manufactures have spent considerable time and money developing exhaust systems for today's motorcycles resulting in high HP bikes ( I remember with the goal in cars used to be ..1HP/Cubic Inch) for their engine size and exhaust emission standards that were unthinkable 10 or 20 years ago.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts