Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temps have been in the 40s (single digits for you reasonable people using celsius) the past few weeks here in Minneapolis, with a few nicer days hitting 50. My commute to campus is less than 10 minutes, with a short excursion on the highway, so I've still been taking Suzuka, but we're getting flurries some days and it's about time to put the snows on the car and store the bike for the winter. I've been seeing fewer and fewer bikes out, although the scooter college kids are still roughing it around town. (And some bicyclists in this city go year-round, snow and all!)

So the topic for conversation: How long is your biking season? How far do you push it through cold/wet/bad weather?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't ride now if the temperature is near freezing or we have salt on the roads but other than that if it is dry I will go out. I did all the riding in snow etc years ago and being long retired, only go out for pleasure now.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
With global warming/climate change/fake news/woteva we are now getting less harsh winters here in NZ so I'm finding I can still sneak in the odd short ride in the winter months (June - August) now. Has to be the right sort of day with full sun out and good road conditions but can be done and it's good to give the bike a run as you know.

Like Gromit I did my fair share of winter riding when I was young and keen. Have surrendered gracefully now. :D
I'm a recreational rider, not a commuter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My bike sleeps outside until I put it in storage. I'm putting it away by Halloween. We had 50 mph gusts of wind today and it knocked my bike over. I came home from work in my car and when I saw the bike on its side I almost lost my mind. First drop ever and it wasn't even my fault. The mirror, bar-end weight, middle fairing, exhaust bracket are all scratched up and need to be replaced. The worst damage is the crankcase cover is a bit dented. I'm hoping nothing bad happens when I try to start it up after this insane wind goes away. I literally hate fall/winter in NJ. I have to find a way to move to SoCal or something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The coldest it gets in the Bay Area is maybe mid 30s on some days, so my riding season is all year. :) I commute to work everyday except for in rain since I don't have the right gear for it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, I’m a bit north of geronimo, but the climate is surprisingly similar. However, I do have rain gear, so I will commute as long as traction allows. Below zero or snow, I take the bus. Otherwise, I press on regardless. The OP has no choice but to park it; I used to live in Winnipeg, so I know whereof he speaks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here in the deep south winter is anything under 60 degrees -today is sunny 70 degrees so I'm off for ride-I have found out cold and age go hand in hand- 30-40 years ago low 30's was ok now fast forward I don't get out under 60 with sun

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like others have written here, I once rode in frigid weather, tolerating brain freeze in the days of pre full face helmets, those days are gone. We're due 50+F this Sunday, I plan to take the bike out on any remaining similar days then moth ball it for the winter.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In Miami we have a 2 week period where it drops under 55 F and I dont ride for those 2 weeks. In fact you see very few people on the street compared to usual on those 2 weeks.

But if I was up North I could probably push it to 30 F but that would be the limit. I remember being in Chicago when it was 20F and my teeth where chattering (literally)

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
It feels like we didn't get a proper Fall season. Was 75F last week. Right now it's 45. Im not riding today. Putting the bike away next weekend.
The weather patterns are becoming quite random for sure. We've had 15 degrees today (59 F) but snow is forecast to 600m on Tuesday so that will drop the temps... again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Riding is available all year here in NC. As long as it's dry and the salt has been washed off the roads there are usually several days during winter months to get rides in. I feel bad for the folks that have to hibernate their bikes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The coldest it gets in the Bay Area is maybe mid 30s on some days, so my riding season is all year. :) I commute to work everyday except for in rain since I don't have the right gear for it.

I'm in Alameda CA. I commute to Kentfield CA (58 mile round trip) all year rain or fog. I have the gear x 2. If I get wet one day, I wear the spares the next day. It rarely gets colder than 40°F or hotter than 90°F here. I switch off riding a Kawi N300 and the Honda CBR300r all year, but the Honda is my wet weather bike. Great bike for cold and wet lane splitting. I do the trip in 30-35 min. each way no matter the traffic (which is always heavy). A car would take 1-1.25 hrs each way. Hooray for small agile motos! :^)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm in Alameda CA. I commute to Kentfield CA (58 mile round trip) all year rain or fog. I have the gear x 2. If I get wet one day, I wear the spares the next day. It rarely gets colder than 40°F or hotter than 90°F here. I switch off riding a Kawi N300 and the Honda CBR300r all year, but the Honda is my wet weather bike. Great bike for cold and wet lane splitting. I do the trip in 30-35 min. each way no matter the traffic (which is always heavy). A car would take 1-1.25 hrs each way. Hooray for small agile motos! :^)
Curious as to why you would have 2 bikes that are essentially the same?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We had 50 mph gusts of wind today and it knocked my bike over.
We had a super windy day yesterday, I was almost being blown over at stop lights with one foot down. :p

Three years in MN, it feels like there's not much of a fall or spring here either. Pretty quick transition, anyway.

I think this was last year, fellow with a Grom, spotted on the interstate:

Oh, but to my original question: Seems like the comfortable riding season here in MN is May-September, but that can be pushed (somewhat uncomfortably) one month in both directions (April-October).

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
no experience with ice/snow around sydney/nsw aust, but for general all weather riding a one piece rain suit keeps you dry and helps with warmth..
also weather radar is a handy tool for checking storm movements, where often breaks in rainfall allow taking off earlier or later, into the dry..

·
Super Moderator
2,984 Posts
Riding is available all year here in NC. As long as it's dry and the salt has been washed off the roads there are usually several days during winter months to get rides in. I feel bad for the folks that have to hibernate their bikes.
No worries here. We have our winter toys ...

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally filled the tank, added gas saver, parked off street by the side of the building, pulled battery, and covered for the winter. About 50 shy of 10,000 miles, but it's finally below freezing with snow on the ground here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts