Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where i can source one of these as a replacement for the steel one?
I saw an old post on the 250R site where a guy was selling one he got off ebay.
Can't see them there now, only for Groms. Apparently it was made by 'Asia racing products' whom i cant trace either.

Can any of you Thailand based riders help? I reckon it was probably made in Thailand.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would aluminum swing arm make a huge difference in weight? Have you checked to see if a local shop can fab something up for you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you need a lot of aluminium to make a swingarm in similar strength to steel.. stability and strength is more important than saving a small amount of weight. The frame is steel, and a very Nice Construction. original steel swingarm is small size optimized for strength and stability

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think you need a lot of aluminium to make a swingarm in similar strength to steel.. stability and strength is more important than saving a small amount of weight. The frame is steel, and a very Nice Construction. original steel swingarm is small size optimized for strength and stability
I think that stability and strength are of less importance on the 300R then on say a 600RR. I'm not saying they're not important but what I am saying is that a sub 300cc motor is unlikely to make enough twist to transfer catastrophic torsional stress to the swinging arm... but what do I'm know I'm just a fisherman who don't know nothing...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welding a swingarm actually sounds fun. If you dont get one by the time i get a welder, ill make you one. If you are brave that is.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welding a swingarm actually sounds fun. If you dont get one by the time i get a welder, ill make you one. If you are brave that is.
Thanks Dizzy but I'm not sure about that offer....:laugh:

I could tackle the task myself at my work after hours if I was lookin for a really tricky, time consuming project. But... I feel I spend enough hours there already and it wouldn't look near as neat and trick as the ones I've seen done for the Groms as an example.
These days I'm happy to pay someone else to do the thinkin and make it look professional. Its really hard to compete with the price of some of the stuff coming out of Asia too.

@-Morty- Aluminium mass is one third steel so even if you have some extra there for strength/rigidity its still going to be near half the weight of a steel one.

@Cropper Agreed, the 30HP output of the 300R isnt going to tax the rear end too much. And they look really trick, love those neat aluminium welds that I could never reproduce...
Hey - catastrophic torsional stress is a pretty impressive phrase for a fisherman! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts