1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
335 Posts
How can I increase preload if I wasn't given a spanner? All that was under the seat was a helmet lock strap and a single allen key.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How can I increase preload if I wasn't given a spanner? All that was under the seat was a helmet lock strap and a single allen key.
I just tried to look up Honda OEM tools, on what I believe was Honda's website. It's odd, but the diagram for the '16 cbr300r's tool kit clearly shows the spanner wrench, but gives no part# or price. Several of the websites I regularly use do the same. Your dealer may be able to order you one, but a generic branded tool may work as well. Anyway, if you can't find what you want, I have a link below that offers some wrenches that I feel certain would work. Good Luck :nerd:
https://www.motosport.com/search?textsearch=rear shock spanner wrench&sf=motorcycle&tracksearch=1

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's odd the US models dont seem to come with the spanner. Some of sort liability mitigation measure maybe?
The rough option is to bash the collar around with a long drift punch and hammer. Not recommended.

I have a link below that offers some wrenches that I feel certain would work.
Yeah they dont have to be a perfect fit, anything close will do. I have made them myself before out of a piece of flat steel.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have some old spanner wrenches from another application that I might try... Otherwise I'll be giving it a go with pliers... If someone finds a source for the correct size, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used a hammer and a big screwdriver..... it worked.... I just made sure all the weight was off the rear wheel....

Reactions: Hi-Viz-Honda

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have Tein spanners from my old MX-5 that I'll try when this morbid Northeast wet weather clears up, but really I just want to install an Ohlins already...

·
Super Moderator
3,003 Posts
I have some old spanner wrenches from another application that I might try... Otherwise I'll be giving it a go with pliers... If someone finds a source for the correct size, I'm all ears!
A good sized Channel Lock pliers will also work to adjust the preload collar... I recommend wrapping a rag around the collar first, so that you don't end up with marks on the collar from the jaws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts