Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Greetings from New Zealand!

After (too) much deliberation, I've just bought my first bike. Despite living less than an hour from central Auckland, the local roads are pretty quiet and generally in good nick, so I'm enjoying every minute of my 50km each way commute to work. And just in case it rains (which it does a lot - this being the land of the long white cloud after all!) I have a back-up transport option...

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Welcome.

Is that your second transport in the background? If so, what kind of ride is that?

Reactions: AndrewTunn

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hey Andrew, great to have another Kiwi on here to help keep the Northern Hemisphere guys on their toes!
I think that makes a grand total of five of us now :laugh:

Well aren't we the lucky ones with mid summer upon us. Any biking plans for the hols?

That's an awesome photo of your bike, you seem to know what your doing with a camera. Member @JNO started a thread called 'post your pics' you should bang that one on there and any others you think worthy.

Hope you enjoy the forum and find some good stuff on here, just ignore any of my deluded ramblings you stumble across :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well aren't we the lucky ones with mid summer upon us. Any biking plans for the hols?
Nothing too major, just a bit more familiarisation round local roads - watching out for holiday nutters of course!

That's an awesome photo of your bike, you seem to know what your doing with a camera. Member @JNO started a thread called 'post your pics' you should bang that one on there and any others you think worthy.
Thanks! It was just one I took on my iPhone with a bit of image editing. I'll look out for that post.

Cheers
A

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Welcome from Toronto, Andrew! Yes, very nice pic. Hey, I parked my CB300FA next to your house and can't even remember it :)

Man, why should riding in rain be a deterrent? The CB can handle rain just fine. Plus you have ABS to help...just in case.
Getting good riding rain gear can keep one dry, unless it's a deluge.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hello Andrew...Unfortunately for 2016 the CB300 F comes in black (in Canada)...white is my fav though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
nice ride for a first bike, good choice

ride safe

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Congrats!

My bike passed the 700km mark on Sunday, and I've only had it for eight months.......

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Sounds like you've made the most of summer Andrew. I guess with commuting your always going to click over a few k's.

I havent done as much this summer as last, seem to constantly have other stuff on that's cut into my road riding time. But a lot of that 'stuff' includes trail riding or sealed circuit racing, so I'm still getting a good amount of saddle time. :)

So I take it your pretty happy with the 300F?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Congrats Andrew on 1- actually riding the bike (Winter where I so less than 100KM on mine) and 2- Trashing the"L" plate... :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I take it your pretty happy with the 300F?
Yes really happy so far. Fun to ride, easy to look after, and gets along OK for a noob like me.

Now I'm on my restricted I've got a year before I'm allowed to progress to a full licence and can move out of the LAMS category. I'm not even sure whether I'll want to get something different by then (not that I don't have the occasional peek in a dealership now and then!)
;)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
low flying is the way to go..

enjoy everything,,
but trust no-one..

dedicated practice sessions somewhere quiet
and traffic free, even for 15mins, will and must
add to your riding ability, safety and enjoyment..

even just braking practice, finding her limits etc,
will translate to confidence and skill thus
all the good things..
slow [very slow] riding, circling and riding
between things [stacks of boxes etc]
help create the skillful motorcyclist..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
low flying is the way to go..

enjoy everything,,
but trust no-one..

dedicated practice sessions somewhere quiet
and traffic free, even for 15mins, will and must
add to your riding ability, safety and enjoyment..

even just braking practice, finding her limits etc,
will translate to confidence and skill thus
all the good things..
slow [very slow] riding, circling and riding
between things [stacks of boxes etc]
help create the skillful motorcyclist..
That's so true about practice. We have a scheme here in NZ (Training » Ride Forever) offering dedicated motorcycle skills training. The courses are fantastic value for money - I paid just NZ$ 20 for an all-day course! The reason they are so cheap is that they are heavily subsidised by ACC, which is the part of the health system that has to pay to put you back together if you have an accident. For once, they've taken the enlightened step of focusing on prevention rather than cure.

The "Bronze" level course I did covered slow speed riding, emergency stops etc. before moving out on to the road to cover aspects such as road positioning, observation, riding in traffic, etc. All really useful stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
That's so true about practice. We have a scheme here in NZ (Training » Ride Forever) offering dedicated motorcycle skills training. The courses are fantastic value for money - I paid just NZ$ 20 for an all-day course! The reason they are so cheap is that they are heavily subsidised by ACC, which is the part of the health system that has to pay to put you back together if you have an accident. For once, they've taken the enlightened step of focusing on prevention rather than cure.

The "Bronze" level course I did covered slow speed riding, emergency stops etc. before moving out on to the road to cover aspects such as road positioning, observation, riding in traffic, etc. All really useful stuff.
Good to hear that my taxes are going towards something worthwhile. Not sure if it's the same in other countries but a high percentage of motorcycle accidents in NZ now are not from the learner riders but older guys getting back into motorcycles (born again bikers) after a break away. They tend to have a bit more money to spend on a big powerful bike that they don't have the skills to control fully at speed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts