Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Not sure if this is allowed, if it’s not please let me know, I have a 2019 cbr300r, the engine has basically destroyed itself at 11k miles. I’ve been looking around for a new engine and I cannot for the life of me find an engine for this bike. I’ve called dealers, I’ve called Honda, I’ve called salvage yards and nothing. I did find one but the engine didn’t compress right so I can’t get that engine. I’m at a loss for what to do, I can’t rebuild it since I don’t know how and it would likely cost as much as the bike to buy the parts and pay someone to rebuild the ending. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what I can do please let me know. The warranty has expired a while ago unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Parts aren't actually that expensive for this bike and there's only one cylinder so you wont need as many bits. Do you know what's actually wrong with your motor? If you have some tools I would watch the tutorial clips that member @lightningfrog27 posted a while back. They are very easy to follow and it's a relatively basic engine so ideal for a beginner motorcycle mechanic.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Parts aren't actually that expensive for this bike and there's only one cylinder so you wont need as many bits. Do you know what's actually wrong with your motor? If you have some tools I would watch the tutorial clips that member @lightningfrog27 posted a while back. They are very easy to follow and it's a relatively basic engine so ideal for a beginner motorcycle mechanic.

We’re not actually sure what’s wrong with the engine but when we took the top off we found metal shavings on the spark plug. Everything at the top end looked fine so we think it’s in the lower end of the engine. Also the other issue is I’m not sure if the parts for the engine could be back ordered or take months to get here so it’s kinda a gamble

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds odd you can't find a 300 engine from a crashed bike, so many 300's out there. I did a quick google search and saw 3 but they are auction sites and don't know what their policies are for registering or shipping.
Salvage Honda CB300 for Sale - Buy damaged, totaled, wrecked and repairable vehicles - Bid at Auto Auction - Page 1 | Car From US
search

I am sure you can find something if you keep looking but if the engine is totaled I would pull it apart and look inside, after all you can't do anything hurt it now. Might not be as bad as you think once you get into it. Might also give you an idea what happened. 11k miles is a pretty short life for one of these, any chance it was run with the filter on backwards or without oil or anything?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds odd you can't find a 300 engine from a crashed bike, so many 300's out there. I did a quick google search and saw 3 but they are auction sites and don't know what their policies are for registering or shipping.
Salvage Honda CB300 for Sale - Buy damaged, totaled, wrecked and repairable vehicles - Bid at Auto Auction - Page 1 | Car From US
search

I am sure you can find something if you keep looking but if the engine is totaled I would pull it apart and look inside, after all you can't do anything hurt it now. Might not be as bad as you think once you get into it. Might also give you an idea what happened. 11k miles is a pretty short life for one of these, any chance it was run with the filter on backwards or without oil or anything?
When we took the top off to find out what was wrong we saw metal shavings on the spark plug which is about as far as we went. Tho when we poured oil in it, we found out that the engine burned off all the oil it had and was running without oil. Also yea, I thought so too but I’ve had an insanely hard time finding a new engine. Like it’s been 5 weeks since the bike died and I’ve found nothing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So no oil in the bottom end? Did you pull the drain plug before pouring the oil in the top end? Just curious because it seems odd to burn all the oil or have it all leak out without you seeing fluid on or under the bike from a leak or nasty exhaust from burning the oil. I wonder if your radiator fluid is contaminated too. Sorry that none of my questions are helping you find a new engine but I am always curious to know why stuff fails early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So no oil in the bottom end? Did you pull the drain plug before pouring the oil in the top end? Just curious because it seems odd to burn all the oil or have it all leak out without you seeing fluid on or under the bike from a leak or nasty exhaust from burning the oil. I wonder if your radiator fluid is contaminated too. Sorry that none of my questions are helping you find a new engine but I am always curious to know why stuff fails early.
Well, I told him how much oil is needed to fill it to the correct level, we did not empty it as it seems empty anyway, and when we did, it took the 1 and a half things of oil to make it level and then some. He even said that it should not have burned oil as fast as it did when we looked at it. There was no sign of a leak, or anything. If just kept burning it off and just going empty. It happened earlier this year but I thought that maybe the oil was just not showing in the sight glass. So I just assumed nothing was wrong. Also don’t apologize it’s all good :) when we filled it with oil it started fine and sounded better but still had a knocking noice along with the metal shavings on the spark plug. He pretty much told me that the engine is most likely done. I honestly cannot understand or figure out why it burned the oil so fast. It burned it out in about a month or so. Give or take one to 2 weeks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts