Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm afraid I'd rather not find out how to do wheelies because it may not end up being "rubber side down" for me afterwards, lol.
Finding out how to do wheelies is perfectly safe. It's finding out how NOT to do them that's the expensive part.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Finding out how to do wheelies is perfectly safe. It's finding out how NOT to do them that's the expensive part.
I suppose both work hand in hand, except for the results? :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
I'm afraid I'd rather not find out how to do wheelies because it may not end up being "rubber side down" for me afterwards, lol.
Best way to learn is on a dirt bike, softer landing if/when you get it wrong :D

The best wheelie bike Ive owned was the original XR200 with twin rear shocks. Had a nice amount of low rpm torque to be able to control the wheel stand easily once you had it up. You could go for miles if you had the stamina.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My 1st wheelie machine....although actually I never had the nerve to try it.:eek:

Reactions: nateclapp

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Best way to learn is on a dirt bike, softer landing if/when you get it wrong :D

The best wheelie bike Ive owned was the original XR200 with twin rear shocks. Had a nice amount of low rpm torque to be able to control the wheel stand easily once you had it up. You could go for miles if you had the stamina.
Another addiction waiting to happen... :laugh:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thank you very much...Wish I still had it..:( That was a '82 model the '81 model (White/Blue stripes) was the one I really listed for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did my first wheelie by mistake. try to start on a slope that wasn't as steep as i thought. I got a "hey dude the awesome!" from a truck full of college age guys

Not a stunt rider but i have popped a few wheelies since then and had a hard landing once where i now have a tiny dent in my tank, most likely from my belt. Had to put my jewels on ice -_-

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Ouch! :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I managed to do a few wheelies in an abandoned parking lot a few weeks ago, was practicing some figure 8's and then thought, what the heck, as I had seen a YouTube vid of some guy explaining how to do power wheelies.

First time I tried it caught me by surprise, and the wheel came up maybe 30° above horizontal. After that, I took a bit of a breather and thought to myself, well if I know it can be done, best to try to learn how to do them in this controlled environment so I don't randomly try pull one when I shouldn't. Practiced them for about 20 mins, and was starting to feel abit more comfortable with the wheel coming up. Of course I followed the guys advice to cover the rear brake, definitely stopped me bringing it up too high the first time.

I might practice them again at some other stage. I feel if and when I proceed to faster more powerful bikes it's going to be even easier to do them, even accidentally, so best to learn now in first gear on a less powerful bike like the 300r.

I told myself I wouldn't ever bother trying to do one due to the risks, but then, im not gonna try and Kidd myself, I ride not only for the feeling of freedom and being in the moment but also for that rush of adrenaline, and a wheelie is always going to be tempting to try so, why not learn how to do them with the same restraint and cautiousness as we do learning to ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was doing wheelies today and went past 12 o'clock and had it flip right over. Need all new front and side fairings. Good news is for all the fairings plus the left mirror is only 300$. Attached some images so you could see
GLAD TO KNOW I'm not the only one trying! I'm having difficulty tho i feel like i can only get my front wheel off in first gear.. can i ask are you doing yours in second gear? CONGRATS tho its your bike and do what what you want!
Post a link to gopro footage when you can!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've never done a 'wheelie' for fun, dunno if this counts or if it's more of a jump start. But I have revved it to about 4000roms and dumped the clutch being the first person in the lane and it definitely popped the front up high. Not feeling to safe doing that on my 3 month old-new bike, I've never done that again lol

·
Registered
419 Posts
Funny, I never had the front wheel leave the ground till I bought my speed triple, and even then it was only cause I was "racing" my buddy off the line. I have always agreed with previous comments that the wheel should leave the ground out of the pursuit of speed not to show off necessarily. If you have a stunt bike that is a totally other thing, I have great respect for what some of those guys can do. I guess wheelies are like burnouts, I am not interested in blasting my money away by smoking off a 300$ rear tire, however I am more than happy to enjoy watching someone else do it on their bike with whatever consequences await.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a Honda Grom 125 and that was a perfect bike to have fun and do wheelies. Now I've sold it and I bought a CB300F.

I was a little nervous avout making my first wheelies with it because of the power upgrade... I never had something above my Grom 125. But I started slow, doing little "sissy wheelies" and now, I can go in 1st gear on a "clutch wheelie" at 45 degrees and then I shift in second gear to keep it up as long as I can. I never go more that 45 degrees because I don't want to flip. You need to know your skills more before doing so.

I never fell with it. I'm not telling i'm a pro i'm really not. But I always go slowly until i'm comfortable with the bike. I also do power wheelies that are pretty easy to do on this bike in first gear and I recommend to do power wheelies when you are a beginner. I had some fear moments doing clutch wheelies lol!

But i'm here in this forum this morning to ask another question about wheelies. When I do a clutch wheelie, I can hear sometimes a "CLICK" on the rear wheel and I can feel that something moved. I did go at my dealership explaining this, I made it in front of him and they removed the wheel, and put it back in place "better than the first time" and it stopped. I did like 200 wheelies since but it restarted this morning.

Someone know what's happening? I don't want to broke something on the bike/me. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did like 200 wheelies since but it restarted this morning.
Haha what. That would scare me into stopping. The whole thing about removing the wheel, IF the mechanics did **** the right way, is re aligning the wheel, correctly adjusting your chain, and torquing everything back to spec. All pretty easy stuff to do yourself with the help of YouTube videos.

I wonder how rough the wheelies are on the 300's drivetrain. This bike wasn't designed for that stuff in mind so with enough wheelies I'm sure shits gonna break.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wheelies are rough on the drivetrain and clutch for sure. At least the parts for these things are super inexpensive, I think it costs like 80$ to rebuild a clutch.

·
Registered
2019 CBR300R (Black/Red)
25 Posts
Did my first wheelie today.
8mph. Hard rev. Dump clutch. Bike went up to 10oclock.
Won't be doing those often. Im sure it's rough on the bike.
Makes me want a bigger bike for power wheelies for sure.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts