Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this bike as a runabout, but the 41mm USD forks are so soft I have to gingerly 1 finger brake everywhere. It has this alloy fork cap:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grey Audio equipment

I suspect it's very similar to the Grom fork, but I'm not game to crack open (and break) something I might just as soon on-sell. Did a search for aftermarket bits but, no luck.

· Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
You wont break anything undoing the cap but first you need to take the weight off the front suspension which is hard if you dont have the proper lift stand that goes under the steering stem. There are aftermarket preload adjusters you can buy that add tension to the springs. They screw in to the same thread the caps screw in to now. It kinda helps but is really only masking the real issue which is that the springs are too soft in their spring rate. It really depends how much money you want to chuck at it. Springs arent that cheap. Generally you can get cheap Chinese made preload adjusters off Ebay but unfortunately I cant see any for your bike, just these expensive high quality ones:

A cheaper option is to fit a longer spring spacer which is one of the internal components of the fork assembly and generally sits above or below the spring. You can make them out of PVC pipe. You may have to play around with the length but adding 10 -15mm would be a good start point.

· Super Moderator
5,748 Posts
It's #3 in the LH view and #23 in the RH. These forks must have rebound damping on one side and compression damping on the other hence the different layout.
Yeah the 286cc motor is a bit light on horsepower for highway work. I progressed from my CBR300 to a Nijna 400 which made passing maneuvers safer too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts