Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Anyone tried one of these cheapie slip ons on their 300?

CBR300R exhaust | eBay

Most of them are below $100, and they look ok to me...?

I'm particularly interested in this one:
Motorcycle Exhaust System 51mm Pipe Muffler Silencer Street Sport Bike Carbon | eBay

I wonder if it affects performance, and if those 'carbon fiber lookalikes' are going to peel off or not?
If they're as heavy as the stock exhaust, and sound just as good as a more expensive one?

I'm being cheap, but perhaps I can go even cheaper if I'd drill out my exhaust, and remove the catalytic converter?

I wonder how I would go about doing that...
no experience with removing catalytic converters.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

CBR300R exhaust | eBay

Motorcycle Exhaust System 51mm Pipe Muffler Silencer Street Sport Bike Carbon | eBay

I wonder if it affects performance, and if those 'carbon fiber lookalikes' are going to peel off or not?
If they're as heavy as the stock exhaust, and sound just as good as a more expensive one?
Have no idea they sound but I guess straight pipes with some baffles on the sides of the exhaust can can't sound that different? I doubt it's real carbon tho probably some kind of vinyl

I'm being cheap, but perhaps I can go even cheaper if I'd drill out my exhaust, and remove the catalytic converter?

You would still have the massive weight of that huge can.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
... They drilled out the exhaust of the 500, which is very similar.
I think I might try this...

Drilled out the stock exhaust? - Page 3 - Honda CBR500R Forum : CB500F and CB500X Forums
If it were my bike, and under factory warranty for the next 12 months, I wouldn't do it. Honestly, I don't get why anyone would want to hack up an expensive component like an OEM exhaust.

If you want to put an aftermarket exhaust on it, don't waste your time and money with some cheap piece of crap off of fleebay... get a quality unit from a reputable manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
You've just spent 4K on a brand new bike, dont go and butcher it and wreck your re-sale value.
By all means put an aftermarket pipe on (even the cheapie, I really don't care) but if you hack into your original pipe then you have nothing to put back on at sale time.
A bike is generally worth more in standard trim, esp to a dealer if your trading up to a bigger bike and he is going to have to on sell your 300.

I learnt this with my 250R Repsol. I bought a Leo Vince GP corsa slip on in carbon for it but it only lasted about 3K miles so I had to replace it with my 14" Delkevic. The point of this story is that I had carefully stored away the OEM muffler and was able to re-fit it to the 250R at sale time as I wanted the Delkevic for my new 300R.
I only dropped $1500 (1K USD) on that bike after one year and 9000 km riding.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well,
Just in case someone else was interested,
The cbr300r has that plate way closer to the exhaust tip than the 500; somewhere halfway the can.
I tried using a sharpened file tip, that could reach this far, but all I got was a few minor scratches on the back plate.
So that was unsuccessful, and I don't want to be using a sledge hammer. I keep on thinking about the exhaust mounts on the motor, so that was a no...

Next, try to remove the exhaust tip.
Pretty much welded on, so another no.

On the other side, again no easy way to remove the catalytic converter, it's all welded shut.
So unless I was going to cut it open and weld it together again,... , no...

The good thing is if you drill holes in the can, at the tip, is made out of aluminum or steel, so the exhaust gasses won't melt the black end cap like on the 500, where it is made out of plastic.

Next up, drilling holes in the sidewalls of the exhaust pipe (the extension of the tip inside the can).
Mission success,
After 2 hours I finally managed to drill 2 holes, not visible to the eye unless you take a flashlight and look into the exhaust tip.

Result:
Absolutely nothing!
I'd probably have 1 to 3dB more low end noise, but some would say it's my imagination; which I have plenty of..

But no improvement worth noting...

Final conclusion:
Buy a cheap slipon!

Btw, the stock exhaust can is quite heavy!

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Well,
The cbr300r has that plate way closer to the exhaust tip than the 500; somewhere halfway the can.
I tried using a sharpened file tip, that could reach this far, but all I got was a few minor scratches on the back plate.
So that was unsuccessful, and I don't want to be using a sledge hammer. I keep on thinking about the exhaust mounts on the motor, so that was a no...

On the other side, again no easy way to remove the catalytic converter, it's all welded shut.

The good thing is if you drill holes in the can, at the tip, is made out of aluminum or steel, so the exhaust gasses won't melt the black end cap like on the 500, where it is made out of plastic.

Next up, drilling holes in the sidewalls of the exhaust pipe (the extension of the tip inside the can).
Mission success,
After 2 hours I finally managed to drill 2 holes, not visible to the eye unless you take a flashlight and look into the exhaust tip.

Result:
Absolutely nothing!
I'd probably have 1 to 3dB more low end noise, but some would say it's my imagination; which I have plenty of..

Final conclusion:
Buy a cheap slipon!

I think the sun in Florida has got to you MeeLee.

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
If you want to make it louder and really don't care about your muffler (your call) then you get a sharpened spike of about 2ft long (like a lot of workshops have for lining holes up), put the pointed end down the pipe and whack the other end with a steel club hammer. Your mounts should handle that but if in doubt remove the muffler and rest the front of it against a solid wall with a block of wood in between the two so you dont damage the muffler.
Ive seen this done before.

Alternately you can use a drill that has had a long extension welded on it.

You will still have a heavy muffler tho. Have fun in the sun.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
If you want to make it louder and and really don't care about your muffler (your call) then you get a sharpened spike of about 2ft long (like a lot of workshops have for lining holes up), put the pointed end down the pipe and whack the other end with a steel club hammer. Your mounts should handle that but if in doubt remove the muffler and rest the front of it against a solid wall with a block of wood in between the two so you dont damage the muffler.
Ive seen this done before.

Alternately you can use a drill that has had a long extension welded on it.

You will still have a heavy muffler tho. Have fun in the sun.
Kiwi
That reminds me of the dodgy one man band garage way back when, when the Brits were making cars and bikes. :)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts

CBR300R exhaust | eBay

MeeLee: Why not just take the can off and leave it a straight through - Loads of noise.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

CBR300R exhaust | eBay

The inexpensive exhaust (above) has no mid-pipe between the stock header pipe and the muffler. So with that in mind a proper mid-pie will have to be fabricated.

·
Super Moderator
3,001 Posts
Well,

Mission success,

Result:
Absolutely nothing!

Final conclusion:
Buy a cheap slipon!

Hilarious :laugh:

Buys new bike, within a week takes a hammer and punch to it.

When that doesn't work, drills holes in said bike.

I can hardly wait for the next installment of "What's Next For MeeLee's Bike" :laugh:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
MeeLee (Quote)..I'd probably have 1 to 3dB more low end noise, but some would say it's my imagination; which I have plenty of..

No offence but " it's my imagination; which I have plenty of..." Amen to that.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Well,

Mission success,

Result:
Absolutely nothing!

Final conclusion:
Buy a cheap slipon!

Bro, I don't know who taught you how to work on vehicles but I wouldn't let you get 10 feet near my bike haha

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
True @CDNHONDAR those cheapy exhausts on ebay I believe have an entry diameter of 51mm with spring hooks on them. You would need to weld spring hooks on your stock header and get one of those graduated sleeve adapters and springs or fabricate/find a proper midpipe with the correct pipe diameters on either side

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, some user said that it doesn't have a center pipe, and I presume that means it'll run hotter on the outside, and might sound more annoying.
They do come from Hong Kong, so chinese.. but the seller said that the plastic won't decolor or peel off.

How is this different from the $170 DanMoto GP exhaust?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Ok, some user said that it doesn't have a center pipe, and I presume that means it'll run hotter on the outside, and might sound more annoying.
They do come from Hong Kong, so chinese.. but the seller said that the plastic won't decolor or peel off.

How is this different from the $170 DanMoto GP exhaust?
MeeLee...Perhaps the "center pipe" is the same mid pipe I mentioned in an above post? I am pretty sure makil's Danmotto exhaust also has no pipe in the middle or center pipe as you call it (Straight through design) and his canister does not get hot at all.

I still say for you + for the $$ Danmotto is the way yo go..especially where we already a member who has one and can supply information (If he wishes).

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Hilarious :laugh:

Buys new bike, within a week takes a hammer and punch to it.

When that doesn't work, drills holes in said bike.

I can hardly wait for the next installment of "What's Next For MeeLee's Bike" :laugh:
Perhaps he will put peddles and stabilisers on it :)

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually ordered the $80 exhaust.
Might take a while to arrive.
For the price, I think it's worth having a nice looking exhaust.
If I'm not happy about it, I'll switch back to the stock, and count it as a loss.

It probably is light, less restrictive, and cool looking, and good enough for a year or two..

1 - 20 of 84 Posts