Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets be clear the CBR 300r/f is a great bike.

It does however leave a lot to be desired in the power department...

Which is what is currently making me a bit bored with this machine..Sometimes it just feels like a scooter on steriods.

I have owned mine for about 3 months now and am starting to hit a wall of boredom with the power delivery. The bike off the line to 60 mph is just mehhh.

Is anybody else getting bored with their bike?

CBR 300r summary:

Style-A
Comfort-A
Handling-B
Tires-C
Weight-A
Price-A
Power-D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not blaming my bike (its a great machine), I am telling you my honest opinion about how I am feeling about it.

I bet that most people that buy this outgrow it and upgrade to a larger CC bike sooner rather than later.

And if that's the case, maybe its better to start our on 500 or 600cc to begin your motorcycle journey.

Its not my fault your a butt-hurt fanboy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
it's sad how many trolls are on this forum.
"why cant weee be friends?"
or at least be respectful. im positive nobody is butt hurt on here so hold back on the insults.
if you are bored with the bike there are a number of helpful suggestions on here to "put your bike on a diet", as shedding extra weight can improve your performance, and new tires can make a huge difference, get some sticky Dunlops or something, i think we all agree the stock tires are wack, have you considered a aftemarkert exhaust or anything? changed out your 14t front sprocket? there are lots of options and helpful info and tips for our bikes on this forum i personally don't see myself getting bored any time soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's sad how many trolls are on this forum.
"why cant weee be friends?"
or at least be respectful. im positive nobody is butt hurt on here so hold back on the insults.
if you are bored with the bike there are a number of helpful suggestions on here to "put your bike on a diet", as shedding extra weight can improve your performance, and new tires can make a huge difference, get some sticky Dunlops or something, i think we all agree the stock tires are wack, have you considered a aftemarkert exhaust or anything? changed out your 14t front sprocket? there are lots of options and helpful info and tips for our bikes on this forum i personally don't see myself getting bored any time soon.
Yea sorry I was just getting the butthurt vibe from Kiwi rider, but you make some good suggestions.

What i am thinking though is that I don't want to spend another grand on upgrades on this bike, id rather save it for my next bike...

If I had a grand to just throw at it I would get a full exhaust system & new tires. I am contemplating that but, I am not sure adding a few HPs will be worth it.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I'm not bored. I was planning on getting a supersport down the road, but now I question if I truly desire something other than my 300R. Hence, the supersport plan has been officially delayed for another year or two. And even then, I still plan on hanging on to the 300.

This bike has everything I need, and more. About 7 months ownership and over 3k miles... This bike is still more capable than I could ever imagine. I don't think I'd have this much fun and confidence in a higher-powered bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It doesn't get much more boring than puttering around traffic on a 600 or bigger sport bike, I can tell you that.

I won't rule out the option of getting something bigger in the future, if only to handle long distance travel on the freeway better. I doubt I will get a bike on the track, but never say never.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... I think you bought the wrong bike for your power requirements Derek...
I think quite a few people buy these bikes with what is perhaps best described as 'unrealistic expectations' of what the bike is, and what it isn't. We saw these types of threads on the CBR250.net forums quite often over the past few years.

What's interesting is that by and large it's the new, first time riders who buy these bikes only to become "bored" with it after a short time (and few miles/km's on the odo). Contrast that with those experienced riders who buy these bikes, knowing full well what to expect in the power department, and intend to own the bike and ride the wheels off it over the course of many years. 20 years from now, some of us who bought new will still be 'original' owners, while the majority of CBR250R/300R/300F's will have gone through multiple owners (and will look like it too) over those 20 years.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm spoiled cause when I want more power, I jump on a faster bike. Every guy needs more than one bike. LOL. The CB300s are probably one of the smallest bikes that can do everything well. When you buy faster bikes, you will give up something in return...cost, insurance, weight, fuel mileage, confidence. I do understand it. I love acceleration and speed. You need a race bike. Derek, don't sell the CB300 though if you can afford two bikes. I would recommend a liter bike like the R1, CBR1000r, or GSX-r1000 for reliability. They outperform the 600s and if acceleration is your thing, the 600s will also get old after a short time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
After 3 months on the CB300F....

I think quite a few people buy these bikes with what is perhaps best described as 'unrealistic expectations' of what the bike is, and what it isn't. We saw these types of threads on the CBR250.net forums quite often over the past few years.

What's interesting is that by and large it's the new, first time riders who buy these bikes only to become "bored" with it after a short time (and few miles/km's on the odo). Contrast that with those experienced riders who buy these bikes, knowing full well what to expect in the power department, and intend to own the bike and ride the wheels off it over the course of many years. 20 years from now, some of us who bought new will still be 'original' owners, while the majority of CBR250R/300R/300F's will have gone through multiple owners (and will look like it too) over those 20 years.
Started riding six years ago with a used Vespa 150, after six moths moved to a used Piaggio BV250, after two years moved to a used Kawasaki EX250 (hurray, first "real" motorcycle!) After two years and 9000 miles on the EX250 bought a new CB300F. Three months later, I'm pretty sure this is the bike of my dreams and I'll be one of the long-term owners. Love the increased torque coupled with the lightness and nimbleness of the bike. (I weigh 122lbs, so it really moves for me.) Changes made: adjustable shift and brake levers, bar-end mirrors. Changes in the offing: all-metal footpegs, Pirelli Sport Demon Tires. Love, love, love the bike!:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
bored yet

hi Guys its interesting reading your synopsis of the whys and wherefores of ownership, many valid points have been made which was making mew wonder if I had made the right move in getting one.
I was brought up and cut my riding teeth on things like Z1000s etc.. which only produced 60 BHP and handled like a greased pig on roller skates.
I have owned many bikes over the inter years many of them described as ordinary, bland, not exciting and so on.
I have toured, dispatched, ridden to work and had a good laugh on these mundane bikes.
So here is a equation for all you mathematicians out there to ponder on.

Top speed = Distance travelled over time taken. I have covered many miles and had a hoot all the way.

Acceleration = the time taken to reach the desired cruising speed. It varies.

MPG = Getting the best miles per gallon on a long run.

Fun = Riding my bike in good conditions, with no knob heads to interrupt the flow, having a coffee break and a chat with thye locals and then getting home in one piece.

Motorbiking F%&K YEA!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
bored yet

Oh BTW I just picked my new Tri Colour up today after 18 months on an MP3 and 14.000 miles loved every one of them RIP Mp3

Ride safe ride free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Loving my CBR300R

Not bored at all here. I've had the bike for just over two months, and I've put in just over 2,500km. The roads on the island I live on have a maximum speed limit of 100km/h, with the vast majority of the roads I ride on having 60km/h or 80km/h speed limits. On my ride to work, I get off the highway and take a beautiful twisty road with a 60km/h limit so I can lean the bike over a bit rather than just push against the wind. Takes me an extra 10 minutes to get to work, but I'm having a blast the whole way. If I leave early enough, I can make it an even longer trip.

Gas mileage has been great. I'm getting just under 90mpg, while my wife is getting around 100mpg. The minivan has been getting a little dusty just sitting there, but I can live with that.

I'm also enjoying learning how to maintain the bike. So far I've tackled chain tension adjustment, chain cleaning and lubing, adjusting rear brake pedal and gear shifter, adjusting clutch free play, and oil changes, in addition to just checking everything over.

My only mod was adding a garage door opener, but, ****, that's handy. :)

Nope. No boredom on the horizon here. I'm loving my CBR300R.

Edit: Censor is pretty tough here. Can I say darn? How about gosh darn? :)

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
I'm spoiled cause when I want more power, I jump on a faster bike. Every guy needs more than one bike. LOL. The CB300s are probably one of the smallest bikes that can do everything well. When you buy faster bikes, you will give up something in return...cost, insurance, weight, fuel mileage, confidence. I do understand it. I love acceleration and speed. You need a race bike. Derek, don't sell the CB300 though if you can afford two bikes. I would recommend a liter bike like the R1, CBR1000r, or GSX-r1000 for reliability. They outperform the 600s and if acceleration is your thing, the 600s will also get old after a short time.
The OP is in Thailand, which I'm not sure they can even get liter bikes there, at least not without paying huge taxes & fees. Many Asian countries limit the availability of large displacement sport bikes simply by making the cost of buying/owning one prohibitive. Which is why so many Asian riders of small displacement sport bikes are into performance modifications, and as a result there is a booming aftermarket performance industry in places like Thailand specifically for these bikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lets be clear the CBR 300r/f is a great bike.

It does however leave a lot to be desired in the power department...

Which is what is currently making me a bit bored with this machine..Sometimes it just feels like a scooter on steriods.

I have owned mine for about 3 months now and am starting to hit a wall of boredom with the power delivery. The bike off the line to 60 mph is just mehhh.

Is anybody else getting bored with their bike?

[/B]
I'm far from bored with my CB300F. I also don't put as much value on power and acceleration because I spend most of my time in the NYC area, or on the serpentine roads in the nearby countryside. In both of those cases, I'm playing to the CB300F's strengths. If I rode highways all day, or long stretches of straight pavement I might have chosen a different bike.

Maybe you just ride boring roads?

I haven't been to Thailand, but a quick glance on google maps reveals a lot of flat, straight roads through much of the country's midsection. There also appears to be some gems as well. For example, 4041 in the Si Sawat District. That is likely nowhere near you, but I would be scanning google maps (terrain feature on) looking for similar roads to put the bike through its paces. You would then realize that the bike isn't boring, and that it was just where you were riding it that was uninteresting.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts