Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Short answer... no, I won't be replacing my 250R with a 300R.

- It would easily cost $2000 USD or more to do so, assuming I could sell my '12 250R for about $3000 USD.

- My 250R does everything I expect from it, so I have no intention of selling it... ever.

- If at some point in the future I need to do a major engine rebuild, I'd consider installing the 286cc crankshaft as well as the big bore kit, which would result in a 341cc displacement. At current parts prices, this could be done for about $600 USD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Short answer... no, I won't be replacing my 250R with a 300R.

- It would easily cost $2000 USD or more to do so, assuming I could sell my '12 250R for about $3000 USD.

- My 250R does everything I expect from it, so I have no intention of selling it... ever.

- If at some point in the future I need to do a major engine rebuild, I'd consider installing the 286cc crankshaft as well as the big bore kit, which would result in a 341cc displacement. At current parts prices, this could be done for about $600 USD.
This is pretty much where I'm at. Now if for some reason I would need to replace my current bike, ie: stolen, totaled, I would be looking at a CBR300R.

Not to disregard the 500, but the 250/300 suits me just fine.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I own a cbr125r and its a reasonable upgrade for me but I don't se much of the cbr250 guys going this route. Comparing the specs its only a really minor upgare especially in power. With only a 5hp upgrade. I guess they would jump either to a 500cc or even a supersport 600.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't think that the CBR250 is enough of an improvement to get people to sell or drop their CBR300 for it. If that was the goal of the CBR300 then I'm not sure if it will be that successful. It is still a nice update to the bike, it just isn't a huge enough improvement to start a mass upgrade that all the CBR250 owners engage in.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I don't think that the CBR250 is enough of an improvement to get people to sell or drop their CBR300 for it. If that was the goal of the CBR300 then I'm not sure if it will be that successful. It is still a nice update to the bike, it just isn't a huge enough improvement to start a mass upgrade that all the CBR250 owners engage in.
Very true, 250's are still VERY nice bikes. The best thing for someone to do that has a 250 and is thinking about the 300, is to ride a 300. You can read all the reviews and watch all the video's you want, but riding it gives you a true understanding.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about the CBR500R?

Has anyone ever taken a second look at that?

I know its more expensive but just curious if anyone has thought about making the jump for more.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
What about the CBR500R?

Has anyone ever taken a second look at that?

I know its more expensive but just curious if anyone has thought about making the jump for more.
Yeah that is another option I might end up with not sure just yet. I am getting mixed opinions on going with the CBR500. My friends just said why not go to the CBR600RR if I go with a bigger displacement.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the CBR600 is an even bigger jump in power and price.

The CBR500 is still within reach for me. Plus the CB500 comes in different configurations. I believe there is R, F, X.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Well the CBR600 is an even bigger jump in power and price.

The CBR500 is still within reach for me. Plus the CB500 comes in different configurations. I believe there is R, F, X.
CBR600 is a nice bike. Center mounted exhaust, enough CC's to have a lot of fun but not to kill yourself easily if you're smart about it. But some will disagree.

·
Registered
203 Posts
What's the point of upping the displacement of the bike? Is it just a small upgrade to make the bike more relevant again? To make people excited again and boost sales figures? I feel like plenty of bike makers do this. They up the engine on their bikes after a short while to make it seem like they have a new product again.

·
Registered
707 Posts
its not the looks. its the ergos, the speed, the power.

the 600 is a super sport

the 500 is just a sports bike.
You're right it's more to it than just how it looks, it's the whole bike really. Performance, ergonomics, status that comes with owning one, etc...the list goes on.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't see a point in people upping to the 300 from the 250, what are they gaining 6 horsepower and smaller stock can they're going to swap out anyways... oh and big brothers headlights... is that really worth it?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Not sure if the guys from 250 would me this small of a jump. The CBR300 would be a the replacement of the 250 which is pretty much just a starter bike. it really wouldn't be worth it unless youre comfortable with the same amount of power and handling characteristic as the 250.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well for some maybe. they might just be bored of their 250 and want to upgrade.

but if you are a new buyer the 250 vs 300 debate is a hard one.

you can probably get some pretty darn good deals on the 250.

·
Registered
707 Posts
well for some maybe. they might just be bored of their 250 and want to upgrade.

but if you are a new buyer the 250 vs 300 debate is a hard one.

you can probably get some pretty darn good deals on the 250.
So far a lot of people familiar with the 250, even 250 owners are all saying they love the 250's and wouldn't upgrade to the 300.

there's going to be a big debate about this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i guess if I had a 250 and wanted to upgrade to something with more displacement I'd just go for the CB500R or the CBR600RR.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts