Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lap Record With Ari Henning On His CBR300R At Chuckwalla | MOTORCYCLIST

Not sure if anyone's posted this but I thought it was inspiring.

This onboard footage we found on his GoPro tells the story. It’s from a race at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in desert of southern California (where the Motorcyclist staff occasionally tests sportbikes) in which our esteemed colleague set a new lap record aboard his tiny, trusty steed. A lap time of 1:58.66 is a pretty arbitrary number, but consider this: To cover Chuckwalla’s 2.7 miles and 17 turns Ari averaged 81 mph, just 11 mph slower than a stock CBR300’s outright top speed of 92 mph. And, of the less-than two minutes it took to do the lap, the bike was wide open for one minute eleven seconds, or 60 percent of the lap.
It’s true, this little CBR is on slicks, tuned suspension, has a quickshifter, and is up 8 horsepower on the stock CBR300’s 28 ponies. But still, last time we held a superbike shootout at Chuckwalla (with bikes like the Aprilia’s RSV4, BMW’s S1000RR, and Kawasaki’s ZX-10R) most of our testers only managed between a 1:54 and 2:05 laptimes. Editor Henning can consider his skills honed.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
WOW! This is nice... I'll be KIWI would give him a run for his money!:)

Seriously..8 H.P. over stock?? I have to wonder how much MOO-LA was needed to achieve that level...

Great video find..Thanks!

Once again..I do not see any fork brace...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

Seriously..8 H.P. over stock?? I have to wonder how much MOO-LA was needed to achieve that level...

He's in different leauge to me! Really gettin that thing over huh. Great riding.
If I ever did beat him tho it would be with the fork brace advantage. :laugh:

Looks like he has his clip-ons mounted under the top yoke with a short riser. Nice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was my thought as well - how do you squeeze 8 more hp out of this bike?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
With lots money and time. Or in Ari Henning's case, with the resources of MOTORCYCLIST magazine behind you.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Being that he does work for Motorcyclist..I imagine alot of the parts/mods were free. Sponsors with donate parts/time for Ari to get their product/services mentioned.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
According to the DYNO there is a 1.5 H.P. increase with a full Yosh system. But where the other 6.5 comes from must pretty hard (expensive) to get...

Milled head/ perhaps a cylinder bore/ custom cams/ reworked ECU ?

Reactions: Dripkit

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Also, I doubt they care about fuel economy or long-term reliability. If you take both of those off the table, HP is more or less limited only by budget. Heck, you could even bung a turbo and nitrous on the thing if you were daft enough.

These days, engine technology is so advanced that the only real measure of an engine's performance or the engineer's skill is power to weight ratio (i.e. the weight of the engine alone) because fancy materials and huge turbos mean you can extract ridiculous power out of fairly small engines with sufficient money. In the olden days this wasn't so, mainly because the flow and combustion efficiency of engines was poor, sometimes drastically so. Now we have those areas pretty well sorted (or at the point of seriously diminishing returns). Back when I was rallying in the 80s, it was possible to double or even treble the output of a standard engine, though relatively low-spec materials and manufacturing tolerances meant rev limits had to be lower than today.

Consequently, engineers now expend a lot of energy and money on packaging rather than 'tuning', especially in racing series like F1. So power output alone is rather meaningless and easy to achieve; the trick is achieving the required output while keeping weight down, fuel economy up and reliability strong. These are effectively 'mutually exclusive' attributes, i.e. gains in one usually means losses in another, i.e. a 'zero sum game'.

A final observation: if you look at an engine from a modern family car, you're looking at what would have been a racing engine back in the 70s, when twin cams, multiple valves and fuel injection were considered very fancy. We have the Japanese to thank for developing a way to make such engines reliable enough for road cars.

Reactions: Dripkit

·
Registered
11 Posts
The 300R is such an under-rated bike. I'm pretty sure that someone out there is fashioning a big bore kit right now. I myself - after I get more experience, of course, would love to know what suspension mods were done

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 300R is such an under-rated bike. I'm pretty sure that someone out there is fashioning a big bore kit right now. I myself - after I get more experience, of course, would love to know what suspension mods were done
Considering how poorly the 250R big bore kits sold I doubt anyone is going to invest in developing a kit for the 300. You can run any of the aftermarket 250 pistons in the 300, but the dome height will need modifying.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Lap Record With Ari Henning On His CBR300R At Chuckwalla | MOTORCYCLIST

Not sure if anyone's posted this but I thought it was inspiring.

This onboard footage we found on his GoPro tells the story. It’s from a race at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway in desert of southern California (where the Motorcyclist staff occasionally tests sportbikes) in which our esteemed colleague set a new lap record aboard his tiny, trusty steed. A lap time of 1:58.66 is a pretty arbitrary number, but consider this: To cover Chuckwalla’s 2.7 miles and 17 turns Ari averaged 81 mph, just 11 mph slower than a stock CBR300’s outright top speed of 92 mph. And, of the less-than two minutes it took to do the lap, the bike was wide open for one minute eleven seconds, or 60 percent of the lap.
It’s true, this little CBR is on slicks, tuned suspension, has a quickshifter, and is up 8 horsepower on the stock CBR300’s 28 ponies. But still, last time we held a superbike shootout at Chuckwalla (with bikes like the Aprilia’s RSV4, BMW’s S1000RR, and Kawasaki’s ZX-10R) most of our testers only managed between a 1:54 and 2:05 laptimes. Editor Henning can consider his skills honed.
there is a big bore kit for the 250 already. but apparently it isn't very reliable.It also is pushing it to the edge...couldn't bore anymore or you'd go right through the wall lol. That would be the same bore kit for the 300.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Heck he was doing well leading up to that tho, passing them like they were slow moving buses! Must've made him start at the back of the field or he was lapping them later in the race.
Looks like he just lost the front, no other bikes involved.
Awesome riding..love how he passed the KTM..:)

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I wish I was still bendy. I can't afford to fall off these days, and learning to ride fast means falling off, so I'm as fast as I'm ever going to be.

I never learned how to gauge how much grip I have on a bike, nor how to use heavy counter-steering to find more speed. I know the theory, but can't put it into practice.

This Ari fella clearly has it worked out :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes JNO..Oh to be young..again..:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts