Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started out in 1971 with a CB350 which I kept until 1975 when I sold it and bought a CB360G. I was riding these bikes to work daily around 50 miles round trip and never had a problem. Actually ran into the rear end of a VW beetle on an on ramp with the CB350 and put a deep V shape crease in his bumper. No damage to the CB but I bought the VW guy a new used bumper for replacement. He stopped on the short entrance ramp unable to merge with fast moving traffic. I was looking over my shoulder gauging the flow of traffic and quickly looked ahead to see where he was and surprise! He was stopped near to the end of the ramp. I locked up those brakes and slid right straight into him. I rode the bike home and learned a valuable lesson that day. I think the CB350 had 15000 miles on it when I sold it. I rode the CB360 without event until 1980 when I sold it and bought a Suzuki GS750C. I rode the GS for four years and threw it away imitating Kenny Roberts on an off ramp. Big damage to the right side engine cases, gas tank and handle bars so the insurance company took it off my hands. The gas tank was $500 on its own. I took a thirty odd year sabatical from bikes until I retired. In 2013 I jumped back into the sport with a 1989 Honda VTR 250 to see if I still had the skills to start riding again. Like I've heard, it's like riding a bicycle-you never forget how to do it. I kept the VTR until parts shortages started popping up on the bike's forum. I traded it for a Honda CB500F in 2014 which I rode for a few thousand miles when the urge to get a bigger bike arose. I bought a Suzuki SVF 650 Gladius in 2014 that was ridden for a few thousand miles and about a year. I heard about the Yamaha FZ07 so tried one out at a Yamaha factory ride event at a dealership not far from home. Instantly amazed at the weight and power of the thing. Forgot ,I traded the Suzuki for an FZ09. Another bike lauded for its weight and power. The test reports didn't really play up the throttle of that bike. I learned it was very twitchy but I could still handle it. After a few months of fighting to keep that FZ09 under control, I traded it for the FZ07. I still have this bike and think it is the greatest. But, I got the itch to see if what they say about the Triumph Street Triple is real so saw a used 2017 675R for sale at a nearby Triumph dealer at a reasonable price. I looked at the finances and pulled the trigger for it. It is all they say and wish I could have bought one a few years ago before my health issues cropped up. I am unable to toss a 400lb. bike around like I used to so traded it in on a CB300R a few days ago. Again I am amazed at the weight of this bike and think it will keep me riding for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Heck, you've had a few bikes for sure. Some goodies in there too like the FZ-07. My main riding buddy has one of those and I swap with him often. Great bike, lovely torquey motor. I've been riding a Ninja 400 the last three years but I've just sold it last week as I have a new Aprilia 660 Tuono arriving at the dealers any day now. I was looking for something with a touch more power but still relatively lightweight and good handling.
Yes the 300 is a super light weight for sure and turns almost telepathically! Have fun out there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The way I look at it the 300 series is either your first bike or your last bike -either way it's a good one

·
Registered
424 Posts
The way I look at it the 300 series is either your first bike or your last bike -either way it's a good one
Steady on, old chap. I'm only 82 and might want to change at some point so it might not be my last one. After four years with my CBR300 I'm still happy with it.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
The CBR250 and 300 were middle bikes for me after an extended period away from bikes, the only time in my life. I dont think I could have gone straight form a Ducati 750SS to a CBR250 with out that break and re-evaluation of what I wanted out of a bike. The main problem was that I was riding every where too fast on the road and the CBR knocked that possibility on the head. The other factor was that I wanted a brand new bike and a 250 was all I could afford. It was a toss up between the CBR and the Ninja 250 but there was a $1000 off promo on the CBR and the Repsol paint job sealed it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sharp looking bike kiwi rider. I'm looking at that vanilla blue paint job on my 2021 and thinking some vinyl might spiff it up a bit. The only problem is I have no creativity at all in my system. What I need is some creative input from those in the forum with that gene that I'm lacking. Thanks to everyone for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
sharp looking bike kiwi rider. I'm looking at that vanilla blue paint job on my 2021 and thinking some vinyl might spiff it up a bit.
Can you post a pic of your bike to help with the creative process? I'm not familiar with the vanilla blue paint scheme.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is what I would call spectacular-my 2016 Yamaha FZ07. You can't miss that thing!(see above post)

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I quite like that metallic blue myself. It would contrast quite nicely with gold anodized rims like on the fork upper in the photo. There's not a lot in the way of side panels to play around with on the CB300R unfortunately.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions kiwi rider. I guess I'll have to look up local vinyl shops to see if there are any choices in the gold or different shades of blue out there. I did see a website that offered a package of vinyl in many colors and shapes for my bike but the cost was way more than I wanted to spend($275.00 U.S.). Anyway, this is going to be a continuing saga so I'll post photos of what that days choice is for the communities enjoyment.:giggle:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts