Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the change to bar-end mirrors.
Motorcycle CNC Round Black Rearview Mirror Lens 1pair 7 8" Moto Bike New | eBay around $15delivered
Motorcycle Mirror Block Offs Base Plates for Honda CBR 600RR 900RR 929 954 New | eBay around $9 delivered

I can see much better with the bar ends but there is a little more vibration in the handlebars than there was before but after riding 10 minutes I forgot about it. There is no vibration in the mirrors at all

The first thing I did was to duct tape the bar so it wouldn't spin.

Then instead of a screwdriver because you will probably strip it, use a socket wrench with a bit or something like I have, I believe I have a #4 Phillips head bit.

If you look closely inside the grip you can see the bottom clip but there is an identical clip on top too.

You can clearly see the clips here

Once you depress the clips, thread the screw a couple threads back in then I used a pair of vice grips closed so the head of the screw won't push through and then tap the vice grips with a hammer. You don't have to use much effort and don't hit the bike.

Then just install the bar end for the mirror

·
Registered
149 Posts
Awesome writeup and pictures. Thanks! Do you notice any difference in the vibration now that your stock inserts have been taken out?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome writeup and pictures. Thanks! Do you notice any difference in the vibration now that your stock inserts have been taken out?
There is a noticeable vibration difference around 6000rpm but as someone that isn't sensitive to vibrations the difference faded in my mind as I rode. I think the inserts made a difference in suppressing vibration but not a huge difference

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice, i like how these bar end mirrors look.
What other modifications do you plan on doing?
The only thing I can think of is some pirellis but I will wait until the rear tire wears out. However, if I see another forum member has something I want, I will copy what they did.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Well done, you saved me the job! Good idea taping the bar-end to the grip, I got a mate to hold the bar end with a pipe wrench while I got the screw out, but it does scratch them.
The ones on my 250R were ultra tight and I had to use an impact screw driver. Someone on the cbr250.net forum reckons heating them in hot water first helps soften the loctite.
I found this schematic diagram of the bar-end set up as well:
View attachment 1498

·
Registered
352 Posts
I assume your field of view is greater behind you using the bar end mirrors instead of factory mirrors?
When just riding on the streets I find myself lifting my elbows to see behind me in the mirrors. Right now I have my mirrors set to view as I ride the hwy in a compact position. I might consider the barend mirrors...

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
I assume your field of view is greater behind you using the bar end mirrors instead of factory mirrors?
When just riding on the streets I find myself lifting my elbows to see behind me in the mirrors. Right now I have my mirrors set to view as I ride the hwy in a compact position. I might consider the barend mirrors...
Correct, you dont have to tuck in your elbows in to get the full field of view, It would probably be fair to say they work better than you'd think looking at one.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Those block off plates look awesome, even better close up.
it would be nice if they came in red to make it even more honda-like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought red would be nice too. If it were warmer I would have sprayed them with some Rustoleum Gloss Sunrise Red. It was perfect match on my 1982 xl185 but I am colorblind and I can't tell if the CBR is the same red

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's super sweet. I like the contrast actually, but im thinking of my red bike too. If you had red block off plates that would be pretty cool on your bike. Never know, may make them soon...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought red would be nice too. If it were warmer I would have sprayed them with some Rustoleum Gloss Sunrise Red. It was perfect match on my 1982 xl185 but I am colorblind and I can't tell if the CBR is the same red
Hopefully you do in fact end up doing that, i'd love to see it although it's easy enough to imagine how it will look.

Alternatively, if wanting the all black look you can use the OEM screws instead of the ones that come with the blanks.
View attachment 1506
Good point, i see this as a great opportunity to be even more different and go for some hardware that's color differently. There are companies that sell hardware like this in a wide range of colors. If it was up to me i'd add neo-chrome :D

Example (not the greatest example):

That's super sweet. I like the contrast actually, but im thinking of my red bike too. If you had red block off plates that would be pretty cool on your bike. Never know, may make them soon...
Even a blue that matches what's on the CBR would be great.

But now that I mentioned the wide range of colored nuts and screws some companies carry, it would be interesting to see how people combine and contrast colors of everything here. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I painted the mirror plates Rustoleum sunrise red. The pictures aren't the greatest because I used my phone this time but the color is spot on to these colorblind eyes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Convex or Flat Mirror Lens

Jkilla71 thanks for the thread on this subject. Are these bar end mirrors convex or flat mirror lens? Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Very nice. I put bar end mirrors on my last bike. The weights were a pain in the arse to get out, but I was happy with the end result.

I like the stock mirrors on my cb300f just fine, otherwise I might consider this mod. With the 599, you almost have to do this mod because the stock mirrors looked like Mickey Mouse ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made the change to bar-end mirrors.
Motorcycle CNC Round Black Rearview Mirror Lens 1pair 7 8" Moto Bike New | eBay around $15delivered
Motorcycle Mirror Block Offs Base Plates for Honda CBR 600RR 900RR 929 954 New | eBay around $9 delivered

I can see much better with the bar ends but there is a little more vibration in the handlebars than there was before but after riding 10 minutes I forgot about it. There is no vibration in the mirrors at all

The first thing I did was to duct tape the bar so it wouldn't spin.

Then instead of a screwdriver because you will probably strip it, use a socket wrench with a bit or something like I have, I believe I have a #4 Phillips head bit.

If you look closely inside the grip you can see the bottom clip but there is an identical clip on top too.

You can clearly see the clips here

Once you depress the clips, thread the screw a couple threads back in then I used a pair of vice grips closed so the head of the screw won't push through and then tap the vice grips with a hammer. You don't have to use much effort and don't hit the bike.

Then just install the bar end for the mirror

boss quick question, so I bought some Bar End Mirror Mount from Rhino Motorcycle Products with CRG side mirrors. Now I am having a difficult time figuring out how to remove the bar core without damaging the bike. Did you have to take the handle grip rubber off in order to remove the internal core?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts