Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bike up saturday and did my first mod on sunday. I found the battery placement under the gas tank in the owners manual after deciding to put the charger on it. The dealer had to charge the battery before delivering it to me. I wanted to make sure the battery was fully charged from day one. Adding battery tender extension leads was a royal pain! Honda could have placed the battery in a more accessible location-like under the seat or on the side behind a panel. There's lots of intelligent engineering in this bike but battery placement is definately not one.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Dumb location for sure. How can you quickly jump start the bike if you have too. Epic fail by the design team. (n)

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't thought of the need for jumping the bike off so Thanks for bringing it up kiwi rider. I don't think the size of the battery tender cables is large enough to hook up a home made jumper cable to turn the bike over. I guess you could push start it?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I hadn't thought of the need for jumping the bike off so Thanks for bringing it up kiwi rider. I don't think the size of the battery tender cables is large enough to hook up a home made jumper cable to turn the bike over. I guess you could push start it?
Myself and a buddy tried to push start mine once when I left the key on whilst inside his house visiting. Of course the headlights were on as well due to that other fabulous design feature of hard wired headlights. Anyways, we couldnt get it to start and I suspect this is because there wasn't enough juice left in the battery to run the EFI system.
Another time I left the key on but I was parked at the top of a steep hill and after about 50 meters of fast turning over of the motor on the descent it fired up but run really rough until the alternator got some life back into the battery.

Moral of the story: Use your key to turn the engine off, not the kill switch!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Myself and a buddy tried to push start mine once when I left the key on whilst inside his house visiting. Of course the headlights were on as well due to that other fabulous design feature of hard wired headlights. Anyways, we couldnt get it to start and I suspect this is because there wasn't enough juice left in the battery to run the EFI system.
Kiwi... I'll give you a few ideas as to what may have happened with that non-start jump-start:
1) It's much easier to get the bike rolling... if you let go of the front brake lever.
2) Recruit a helper with some serious lead in their arse.. soz they can actually 'help' pushing the bike.
3) If all else fails... find a really steep hill, pucker up, and hold on with both hands. :whistle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As kiwi rider said, use the key to turn the bike off. Don't get in the habit of using the kill switch. This act is a known killer of electrical parts on the Triumphs. I know from being a twelve month owner of a Street Triple and avid triumphrat.net member. Long strings bemoaning failed regulators and alternators on the site. Kiwi rider, you didn't say what gear you were in going down the hill trying to get the engine started. I believe third gear is the one most commonly used.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Kiwi... I'll give you a few ideas as to what may have happened with that non-start jump-start:
1) It's much easier to get the bike rolling... if you let go of the front brake lever.
2) Recruit a helper with some serious lead in their arse.. soz they can actually 'help' pushing the bike.
3) If all else fails... find a really steep hill, pucker up, and hold on with both hands. :whistle:
All points noted and suitably disregarded Airhead :giggle:
I remember that time we tried to push start it on the flat, we were so knackered at the end of it! Luckily he had some jump leads and we got it going off his pickup truck. At that time I had a bad habit of flicking the kill switch as I rolled to a stop with both hands still on the bars. Not any longer...

Reactions: airhead83
1 - 7 of 7 Posts