Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
So my battery I am thinking may not be in top nick, the day I collected the bike it was dead, they said it may be a duff battery or its been standing with it being new, I had to wait till the next day to collect it, the dealer claimed to have replaced it with a new one, I'm thinking bullshit on this because I ride 15 miles each way every day so 150m a week. I have a CTEK MXS5 Charger, now if I leave my bike from getting home Friday evening till Sunday morning then plug it in it stays on bulk charge for 45 min or more before going to float also if I make sure battery is fully charged and then turn my lights on for 2 minutes the charger again goes to bulk charge, I think the battery was buggered when deep discharged so tonight im going to test for parasitic drain, Ive read they allow 0.8 milli amps for this? and also the charging current when idling and when above 3k?, can anyone tell me what these figures should be please before I go back and tell them there a set of lying tossers.
Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Electrics is not my forte I'm afraid. If you do end up changing your battery I can personally recommend the Shorai Lithium Ion for a quality crank every time. Even after sitting long periods over winter with no trickle charge.
The bonus is they are 1/4 of the size and weight.

LFX14L2-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
First thing you do is call the dealer and speak to the guy who told you the battery had been changed. Just get his name and get him to acknowledge that there was a problem with the battery from new, whether he insists it was changed or not doesn't matter, you just need a 'paper trail' in case you need to get them to swap the supposedly 'new' battery.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing you do is call the dealer and speak to the guy who told you the battery had been changed. Just get his name and get him to acknowledge that there was a problem with the battery from new, whether he insists it was changed or not doesn't matter, you just need a 'paper trail' in case you need to get them to swap the supposedly 'new' battery.
Hi
Yes I have that, he said they replaced the battery but when I got home it took 5-6 hours to charge battery fully , I think they just stuck it on a quick charge and waited for me to collect it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Electrics is not my forte I'm afraid. If you do end up changing your battery I can personally recommend the Shorai Lithium Ion for a quality crank every time. Even after sitting long periods over winter with no trickle charge.
The bonus is they are 1/4 of the size and weight.

LFX14L2-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries
£144 is a bit steep for a battery :eek:, thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's a pretty decent price for that same battery on Amazon

·
Registered
487 Posts
once fully charged leave over night then test voltage...turn on headlight to discharge the surface charge then check, 12.3v is end of life. It would be best if you had a load tester.

As for LiFe batteries Anti Gravity are the best for starting and Earth X is good too if you have more electrical drains/accessories. I don't recommend any other brand, for their price the quality is sub par. None of those other brands are waterproof for one. All those other brands for being made in china is really expensive. For not much more the Anti Gravity and Earth X are USA made.

·
Registered
419 Posts
First off, I have learned about motorsport dealerships and their battery practices through my last experience with Honda when I bought my CB300F for my wife (some of you may recall the very first day having to pay to tow it home due to a dead battery.) I wanted to chime in and say that unless you bought a demo model, the bikes on the floor wouldn't have a battery in them yet. They should have a station with new batteries that are charged to put into a newly purchased bike. If you got a demo, those models (like mine) have the battery in them. If they are not trickle charged than they will for sure not start the bike and cause issues. I should mention that one of the big problems I was encountering was the starter relay recall COMBINED with a weaker battery and that wouldn't allow the bike to start. I have since then kept it trickle charged and everything is just fine, had it not been I would have made the dealer replace it. I am to bring the bike in next week to have the recall completed.

Secondly, Lithium Ion Batteries are worth every penny. They cost more for a reason. They weight about 10% of what a normal battery does with no liquid or gel, they are smaller in actual size, have a strong charge for starting, and in most cases have much, much longer lives. The Shorai batteries for instance have a 7 year warranty (with that said, after say 4 years they wouldn't cover 100% of the battery value, more like 40% but that's besides the point) and are extremely well made. In my logic it costs about twice what a regular gel battery would costs but will last twice as long and is a lot lighter and stronger. Personal preference but if I'm replacing a part for my bike I use the best one I can.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a pretty decent price for that same battery on Amazon
Thanks but im in the UK and we get well ripped off here, thats about £90 i think to our £144.
So my readings are:
Battery 1 hr after getting home 12.94v
1500rpm idling 14.29v
3000rpm 14.31v
Leakage 0.47mA
Voltmeter while cranking 11.12v

DaBinChe, I will try yours in the morning, so it seems the battery is ok so far, maybe its just the Ctek charger going through its motions.
Thanks
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Secondly, Lithium Ion Batteries are worth every penny. They cost more for a reason. They weight about 10% of what a normal battery does with no liquid or gel, they are smaller in actual size, have a strong charge for starting, and in most cases have much, much longer lives. The Shorai batteries for instance have a 7 year warranty (with that said, after say 4 years they wouldn't cover 100% of the battery value, more like 40% but that's besides the point) and are extremely well made. In my logic it costs about twice what a regular gel battery would costs but will last twice as long and is a lot lighter and stronger. Personal preference but if I'm replacing a part for my bike I use the best one I can.
+ 1
Managed to knock 40 quid off your price Mark... :D

Products found matching 'LFX09L2-BS12'. - CARROT CYCLES - (Powered by CubeCart)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks kiwi, but its still high, my Yuasa battery on the CG was the original at 7 years old and still had the correct output with no charging, I only got the smart charger a month or two before the CBR, maybe the smart charger is too sensitive.

Mark

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi,
So my battery I am thinking may not be in top nick, the day I collected the bike it was dead, they said it may be a duff battery or its been standing with it being new, I had to wait till the next day to collect it, the dealer claimed to have replaced it with a new one, I'm thinking bullshit on this because I ride 15 miles each way every day so 150m a week. I have a CTEK MXS5 Charger, now if I leave my bike from getting home Friday evening till Sunday morning then plug it in it stays on bulk charge for 45 min or more before going to float also if I make sure battery is fully charged and then turn my lights on for 2 minutes the charger again goes to bulk charge, I think the battery was buggered when deep discharged so tonight im going to test for parasitic drain, Ive read they allow 0.8 milli amps for this? and also the charging current when idling and when above 3k?, can anyone tell me what these figures should be please before I go back and tell them there a set of lying tossers.
Thanks
Mark
Your bike should still be under warranty so your dealer needs to resolve the problem, otherwise contact Honda UK.

I bought my CBR300R in December and didn't use it until April this year, but it started first time. I ride my CBR300R three times a month perhaps, but it always starts first time.

Genuine batteries are £55.08 - BATTERY ASSY. (YTX7L-BS) (TIANJIN YUASA), part number: 31500-KZZ-931 .

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Ive never bothered with smart chargers as Ive never had an issue with sluggish batteries until end of life. Maybe frequent riding is the key. But yes in your case I agree with CBR300R it's a dealer warranty issue.

·
Registered
96 Posts
yes the bike is under warranty so suggest let Honda in the end deal with it for the second time

I use a similar battery tender Ctek Multi US 4.3 which has a recondition cycle mode, it also does a diagnostic check on the battery each time at the beginning of any cycle you just monitor the how far the led's get in the charging cycle re: the Ctek manual, if your tender has a recondition cycle mode suggest try that first, it's very similar to a normal cycle mode

I can generally ride the cb300f for say two-three hours straight much of that time on high beams if I am in town, get home & park the bike, let the bike cool down some & connect the Ctek MUS 4.3 in the motorcycle mode, maybe it will take 5 minutes & no more than 10 minutes to get past a 90% charge & go into the maintenance green cycle at least at this time of the year maybe 15 mins tops for a winter ride. I use a ring terminal harness from Ctek one time connect to the battery terminals dress it to the pillion storage under the rear seat & from then on is plug & play, only have to unlock the pillion seat or in my case the pillion delete to connect the battery tender

I also have a Ctek 3300 which is a similar charger to the MUS 4.3 but it does not have a recondition cycle & it cannot do any diagnostics, but it does have the same motorcycle mode for charging bikes, both chargers react the same way on either bike, the Ctek 3300 I have been using for at least 5 years almost constantly never had any issues with the charger & I am careful the chargers both have rubber bumpers installed so they are physically tough as many tenders can fail if they are dropped

the first time a battery is charged is a different story, either model tender may crank for several hours before they go into the green maintenance mode, after that the above cycle time is typical everytime

I had a 2009 Suzuki TU250X & the original battery was six years old when I sold the bike & still going strong, po used a battery tender & so did I when I bought the bike, I had this bike about two years so the bike was four years old when I purchased it from the original owner, I could tell po was using a battery tender because the initial charge I did using the Ctek 3300 was about as described above went into the maintenance mode within like 15 minutes

just some background from someone who uses a very similar Ctek battery tender on the same or similar bike, so your mileage should not vary much?

ride safe

Reactions: Mark65

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Just got my Lithium battery in today. Only $70! Ordered through eBay, but here's a link to their regular site. Price was the same, only took a few days to get it.

Bike fired up just like it did with the old lead weight. Amazed at the weight & size difference. Almost like replacing your battery with a Tupperware container.
Thats a really good price for a Lithium Ion and I see the weight is a touch lighter than the Shorai.
Amazing technology isn't it, I'm surprised it's not more of a popular conversion.
If the main seat was quick release as well you could stash a pair of gloves or something as there's so much extra room in there now!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just got my Lithium battery in today. Only $70! Ordered through eBay, but here's a link to their regular site. Price was the same, only took a few days to get it.

Deltran Lithium Supersmart Lithium Battery BTL09A120C

Bike fired up just like it did with the old lead weight. Amazed at the weight & size difference. Almost like replacing your battery with a Tupperware container.
Battery only lasted 3 weeks before it was no longer able to start the bike. Fresh off the charger it drops to 11V resting. Can't say I'd recommend.

-Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Battery only lasted 3 weeks before it was no longer able to start the bike. Fresh off the charger it drops to 11V resting. Can't say I'd recommend.

-Ryan
That's a bummer. I dont mean this in a smart arse way but this might be one of those examples of getting what you pay for as the Shorai Lithium Ion is $114 from memory which is a lot more than the $70 you paid.
Ive had two years of trouble free cranking

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a bummer. I dont mean this in a smart arse way but this might be one of those examples of getting what you pay for as the Shorai Lithium Ion is $114 from memory which is a lot more than the $70 you paid.
Ive had two years of trouble free cranking
You're definitely right, haha. I'll probably give one of those a shot, and maybe go sightly higher in capacity than before. On the plus side, seller offered a refund solution right away so it's an easy lesson learned, just wish they carried other brands.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My bike always starts but the battery doesn't seem to turn the engine over easily. I ride every day so the battery stays as charged as it can get. I even hooked up my Battery Tender Jr. to it one day to check it and withing 20 seconds the green light came on, so the battery was fully charged. I have other bikes that start with a huge burst of power and starting is instant...like the GSX-r600. That bike shuts off immediately as well. My Grom was more like the CB300F. I think it is just the set up Honda has for these bikes. My Vespa, also a thumper and 300 cc. has a much quicker start. The CB300F reminds me of the old Ninja 250 with the carbs instead of a fuel injected bike where it would take a second or two for the bike to start. No problem so long as it does start though, but it just always feel like a weak battery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts