Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Could some one here on this Forum..direct me to a MPG (miles per gallon) test of the above bikes..I am wondering how much better the CBR 300R is on fuel..

Thanks to all...Laurie:nerd:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Could some one here on this Forum..direct me to a MPG (miles per gallon) test of the above bikes..I am wondering how much better the CBR 300R is on fuel..

Thanks to all...Laurie:nerd:
Not sure about the fuel consumption on the other bikes. You may have seen this thread about the CBR300R fuel consumption, but I reckon the CBR300R would be hard to beat if you are after fuel economy: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/cbr300-general-discussion-forum/2498-cbr300r-fuel-mileage-multiple-threads-6.html . I'm more than impressed. I might try and ride it a bit more conservatively and see if I can break the 100mpg / 22 miles per litre barrier :)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Really?? Break 100 MPG?? Where I am in Nova Scotia Canada there are lots of hills....where you are (Surrey U.K.) is it hilly or fairly flat? Also to achieve that kind of mileage...do you short shift and stay @ 90 KMH (55 MPH) ? I thought the 300 was good but I had no idea it was THAT good..Thanks very much..:)

Thanks for the above link..great reading..

·
Registered
282 Posts
beginnerish sportbike

WARNING! The above article contains journo masturbation.
When reading please filter out all of the non real world statements and potential purchaser ego massaging.
;);):D:D

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Really?? Break 100 MPG?? Where I am in Nova Scotia Canada there are lots of hills....where you are (Surrey U.K.) is it hilly or fairly flat? Also to achieve that kind of mileage...do you short shift and stay @ 90 KMH (55 MPH) ? I thought the 300 was good but I had no idea it was THAT good..Thanks very much..:)

Thanks for the above link..great reading..
You also have to be careful when comparing UK mpg with US mpg.
Ive had 95 UK mpg out of my 300R which (i think) is only 88 US mpg.
It can get misleading and /or confusing. Lets just say they are bl00dy economical machines! :D

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
In Canada..we use Litres..but I grew up on Imperial Gallons...so that is what I use.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
In Canada..we use Litres..but I grew up on Imperial Gallons...so that is what I use.
I was bought up on litres. I know my 300R can do up to 36km/l but I use 30km/l as a rough guide when doing fuel mileage calcs in my head out on the road. Always best to have a bit up yer sleeve eh!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I rode with a guy on a R3 last week. I fully expected to be left in the dust...not so. I'm assuming his bike was bone stock. Mine has a full Yoshi exhaust, KN high flow filter. Bazzaz ZFI, custom map via their Dyno. This 300F has solid excelleration, very smooth power band. No backfires, very torquey. As hard as the R3 tried, it could not shake me. I don't know about top speed, but this little red thumper was right on the R3's tail. This was on the Ortega highway in SoCal, Lake Elsinore to the coast. I did notice that I just won't take as many chances as I use to. So when the R3 pulled away from me on tight curves, I don't know if it was lack of cajones on my part, or the Yamaha cut through the curves much quicker and smoother than my 300f. i would recommend any cats from SoCal should try the ride through the Ortega's to the coast.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Good to hear that you were able to foot it with the R3 in a straight line. Like you alluded to, cornering speed, stability and ground clearance are harder to gauge unless your in a track environment using the same rider on each bike and ideally the same tyres.
It's not worth getting out of your depth just to be able to say 'the CBR is as quick thru the bends as the R3'.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
A re post from another thread..

After watching a few videos on Youtube of these little so called "Beginner Bikes" I really (IMHO) realize how this model is NOT a beginner bike at all. This model from Honda has a better more rigid frame/better brakes (floating)/optional ABS/liquid cooling ETC that was unheard of 20 years ago at a very inexpensive price point.
Time make things relevant does it not? Can you imagine this model being released then? It would have been hailed as a motorcycle far from being just a "Beginner Bike". Although at the moment I do not own a CBR 300 R,,I hope to have one soon in my garage. What a great "Beginner Bike".

·
Banned
777 Posts
They're called 'beginner bikes', because it's hard to skid the wheel on a dry pavement, or lift up the front wheel; which is a contributing cause of accidents with mostly young and inexperienced riders.

Even a 500cc can be considered beginner bikes, although I would not say that...

·
Registered
75 Posts
After watching a few videos on Youtube of these little so called "Beginner Bikes" I really (IMHO) realize how this model is NOT a beginner bike at all.
I agree, in other countries a 250cc is considered a big bike. Here in the U.S. if a bike is under 600cc it's considered a beginners bike. My 250 cc can hit triple digits just like my old 600rr & Superbike. Any bike can kill you. I treat them all with the same respect.:)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Like I have said (posted)previously..how bloody fast do you need to go? At 30 KMH you could be killed in an accident...easily Would any body in their "right" mind run as fast as they can only to throw themselves on pavement wearing just a pair of shorts/T shirt?

So at 160 KMH (100 MPH) on this bike there is potential for death. At MY age (yeah I'm an old far*) I just like to cruise with in the speed limit or less..have a light flick-able bike that gets terrific gas mileage. The Honda for me fits the bill.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Like I have said (posted)previously..how bloody fast do you need to go? At 30 KMH you could be killed in an accident...easily Would any body in their "right" mind run as fast as they can only to throw themselves on pavement wearing just a pair of shorts/T shirt?

So at 160 KMH (100 MPH) on this bike there is potential for death. At MY age (yeah I'm an old far*) I just like to cruise with in the speed limit or less..have a light flick-able bike that gets terrific gas mileage. The Honda for me fits the bill.
If getting killed is the determining factor to rate if a bike is a beginner bike or not, then a 50cc scooter would not be a beginner bike anymore either, as it goes 40MPH, and can get you killed.

I would say that a bike that defines a beginners bike, is one that's under 400LBS, and has ~40HP or less (no skidding wheels or lifting front wheel at full throttle).

But still, I believe a 50cc is not a good learners bike, as it can be dangerous on roads where cars go beyond 40MPH.

The perfect beginners bike for me, is anything between 75cc and 150cc ~100-250LBS, and has gears; like the Honda Grom 125cc, Sym Wolf 150, Yamaha YZF125R, Aprilia RS125, or Sachs Madass 125cc. Even a cheap Chinese 100-150cc bike would help, as usually you'll outgrow it before they fall apart (a good 2 to 5k miles, or 6-9 months).

Ride on it for 6 months to a year, get accustomed to shifting gears, and riding in traffic; and upgrade to a 275-425LBS bike between 250 to 500cc, which is good to learn about highways and interstate speeds, exits, and handling the extra weight.
From a 250-500cc it's easy to upgrade to a bigger bike.

Personally I'd like to own a 125cc, 300cc, and a 650cc bike; for the city, highway, and one for the long journeys.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts