Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and cheers in advance to anyone who replies.
So, I went in for warranty repairs to my local Honda of Glendale and picked it up with 3 snags. The last is the biggest concern/question. Pics attached.

1- High oil, running sluggish etc. typical symptoms. Just high.
2- Overtightened drain bolt. WAY past 18 lbs ft. Hate rethreading stuff.

3- bent weep hole spout that was NOT bent before. [Pictures attached,
lower left] Called up and was told that it was slightly bent before but that they bent it again or in a different direction to access a bolt right underneath there. They say it has no effect and that it cant kink or block and void the purpose of a weep hole, causing further damage.

So I'm a bit put off by this service and weary of them or whether to heed what they actually say.
Any advice on the last one particularly? Is it worth making a stink and possibly bringing it BACK to the place but on new worse terms and trust a decent job be done?

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is it worth making a stink and possibly bringing it BACK to the place but on new worse terms and trust a decent job be done?
I probably wouldn't bring the bike back to them. You trusted them the first time, and they couldn't put the correct amount of oil in it...

(I don't know how concerned you should be about the weep hole, someone else can confirm if it's a non-issue.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably wouldn't bring the bike back to them. You trusted them the first time, and they couldn't put the correct amount of oil in it...

(I don't know how concerned you should be about the weep hole, someone else can confirm if it's a non-issue.)
Yeah, though recalls are the main reason.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Honda Safety Recalls can be handled by any authorized Honda service facility. If you have more than one dealer close by, choose one and make an appointment. Fortunately, recalls are rare.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
14 Posts
Honda Safety Recalls can be handled by any authorized Honda service facility. If you have more than one dealer close by, choose one and make an appointment. Fortunately, recalls are rare.
Ummm... No offense, but I don't think you can make the "recalls are rare" claim in a CB 300 forum given the very significant crank shaft recall affecting 2015 - 2016s (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V528-0598.pdf). There's also a new transmission gear recall for 2018 - 2019s (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V412-2504.pdf).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ummm... No offense, but I don't think you can make the "recalls are rare" claim in a CB 300 forum given the very significant crank shaft recall affecting 2015 - 2016s (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V528-0598.pdf). There's also a new transmission gear recall for 2018 - 2019s (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V412-2504.pdf).
Point taken. I didn't say there were none. A recall addressing a major problem (that should have been found and corrected before the bike was introduced to market) makes it no less or more frequent. I still consider Honda's quality in the upper tier of manufacturers. The fact they address problems is commendable. Kawi's Ninja400 has been plagued with clutch problems since it's introduction in 2018, and has yet to be addressed more than a few 'change of parts' in newer models. That's really a shame. Because problems like this should be corrected by a recall, and it hasn't been. That decision speaks volumes about a company's reputation. And IMHO, Honda stands above most others in admitting and fixing their problems.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Im not sure how bad the weep hole being bent is but if they performed the oil change so haphazardly then never visit that dealership EVER again. Go to a different dealership even if it is farther away.

Do your future oil changes at home with your own arms. It is fun and not too hard even for an Average Joe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not sure how bad the weep hole being bent is but if they performed the oil change so haphazardly then never visit that dealership EVER again. Go to a different dealership even if it is farther away.

Do your future oil changes at home with your own arms. It is fun and not too hard even for an Average Joe.
Oh I do my own oil changes. Hell I've done WAY more than that. To the point previously addressed though, even on other posts on this forum, the quality of work from recall work done by Honda moto dealers is... questionable? Thus leaving little choice. One guy on the forums had his engine explode after the crank recall repair etc.

Here's my deal. Are these mechanics not paid enough? It seems they are paid AMPLY. What is going on? Quality of bikes may be good but if the local workforce sucks it kind of negates this. Overall I'm still unsure whether the bent weep hole is a problem, It seems to ride fine, but to cover up or not address it immediately seems odd. Some sort of managerial fault is to blame.

What could a mechanic possibly stand to gain from doing this? Yet it happens all the time it seems.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I mean, people are all fallible, and my experiences at dealerships are hit or miss. Keep in mind their primary interest is selling bikes... Your several-year-old bike with miles on it have a problem? They'll sell you a new one!

The nearest Honda motorcycle dealer to me is a small shop in the cities, and I had no complaints when I took it in for the recall. But it took FOREVER in the middle of the season (can't really fault 'em for that).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts