Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
i found that the sports demon's are very good. i stuck with the original size because if you go wider on the back you would normally have to go wider on the front too. But if you try to put a wider tyre on the front it was close to the front fender.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
what is 'best' must include more expensive tyres
but for better general grip including the wet
i found pirelli sports demons bias ply tyres
[tread patern designed for cbr250r]
to be excellent including in the wet
over various road surfaces..

this in comparison to stock irc tyres..
thought the ircs were ok generally
with some reservations on some
surfaces in the wet,, but after changing
to a pair of sd after picking up a wood screw
and comparing over same daily 3yr course
incl in the wet, i realised tha i had been
compensating for or making more allowance
for tyres after even the first few rides with sd
altho not yet run in..

in the dry on good surfaces the ircs are ok
but for me it was a sort of release,
of or from being over cautions
including some cambers and paint
and so on.. basically the sd are
to me anyway, much better
and confidence inspiring
in the wet especially..

but also under strong braking etc..
excellent for bias ply tyres
and at the price..

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
The relatively new Michelin Pilot Street Radials, which are made specifically for small displacement sport bikes like the CBR250R/300R, Ninja 250/300, Yamaha R3, etc., are considered to be very good all around street tires, particularly in the wet. In fact the new Yamaha R3 is equipped from the factory with the bias-ply version called the Pilot Street, which should be an improvement over the IRC bias-ply tire. Given the choice, the Pilot Street Radial which costs only few dollars more than the bias-ply version, would certainly be the way to go... although I understand that the radial version is not readily available in all markets.

Here's a thread on these tires: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/761-michelin-pilot-street-radial-tires.html

And another thread on the CBR250.net forums: New Michelin Pilot Street Radial for the CBR250R. - Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sport Demons/ BT-45. Both are bias/ply tires, but nonetheless both of them are good tire brands. I haven't tried Micheline PSR's but I heard they perform well on both wet and dry.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I work in research and development, and have spent most of my life working with engineers, so I set great store by scientific evidence from actual testing rather than anecdotal 'evidence'. Even then, I prefer validation by measurement, quantitative over qualitative measures. Consequently, I would be interested to see reports from back-to-back or batch testing of aforementioned tyres versus the IRCs. Measures of lateral and longitudinal grip (wet & dry), plus wear rates would be very useful. I have little doubt the more expensive and softer tyres would perform better for grip, less so for wear, but it would be interesting to see what the actual differences are.

My 'ideal' but realistic idea of the best tyre would favour cost and wear over performance, because I don't push the tyres and I'm a tightarse, but I also like the idea of 'bang for your buck' and so a tyre that was 30% better but only 15% more expensive would still look good to me.

Then of course there is 'feel', which is much harder to quantify, not least because one guy's idea of good might not be everybody's.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
@JNO this may not be scientific enough for you but its the best I've seen yet.
Interesting, but no values given, only the tester's views. They could have given lap times, wear rates and temps, which would have been interesting.

Seems he saw no big problem with the IRCs, even on the track, though he knocked them down on price, which was surprising because I thought they were a budget tyre. Sure, the stickier tyres won on grip, as you would expect, but the IRCs were by no means the 'dangerous' tyre that some people would have us believe.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
the IRCs were by no means the 'dangerous' tyre that some people would have us believe.
Ive done over 20K on the IRC's on two different bikes and I'm still waiting for my first big slide let alone an off.

Ive pushed them hard on the road and have done four track days on them, one that was half wet.

If that isnt enough of an evaluation to say that there's nothing wrong with them (taking cost into account) then I dunno what is.
I will still try other brands out in the future, but the IRC's have served me well. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts