Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode both CBR300R and CB300F, much prefer the 'F'. Undecided to get new or very near new, pal just bought one with 700km for 25% off new.

One mod I'll do is a complete stainless exhaust system- hate that black pipe!
Concerned that some mods will void warranty- opinions?
Otherwise the gearing changes discussed look good.
Tyres- opinions differ, long life versus grip in wet, lighter weight, added cost.
Foam grips for comfort + reduced vibration?

Owned a NC700S for a year, put on adjustable levers, mirror risers, touring screen, chain oiler, saddle bags. Nice bike but too heavy for me; 300F seems much more advanced, lighter clutch, better gearbox, more nimble but engine nowhere near as smooth. This was in Turkey- if you get the chance to ride in SW Turkey, what a fabulous country for biking- scenery is staggering, roads very good, what a climate! I'd be there now but for..... Islam.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Get the F. You'll love it :) I just bought mine last week and it's excellent. Perfect for driving around town and also handles small road trips quite well.. I managed to get up to 140km/h for top speed which is not too bad for what it is.
As for mods I'm definitely going to switching out the factory exhaust for a carbon fibre yoshimura one and maybe add a k&n filter to wake the bike up a bit :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
if you get the chance to ride in SW Turkey, what a fabulous country for biking- scenery is staggering, roads very good, what a climate!
Welcome to the forum Jim, agree with your thoughts on Turkey as a great biking country. The climates great for a start, and the food!
Ive been there a couple of times but the second visit was best as I rode a Yamaha XT350 trailbike from Istanbul to Dogubeyazit in the far east of the country. Lots of historical things to see on the journey and great landscapes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tires for sure are the best mod, what this guy says is pretty true from another website, the 300 is a big step up in refinement over the 250 the vibration problem is gone and is now smooth as butter:

"...Changing tires was the first thing to do on our list. So off with the stock IRC's and on with the Rear 140/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Tire...and the Front 110/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! It totally transformed the bike from a good handling bike that can get slippery do to the oem tires to a bike that handles even quicker and sticks to the road many times better. This is probably the one single biggest improvement that can be made to the Honda CBR 300. You may be able to modify your Honda CBR 300 for faster speed but unless you can ride that power, whats the point?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the Yoshimura fender eliminator and it looks great but the instructions do not match up for the 300F and you have to improvise a few times and find extra bolts for the cowl piece. 100x better than the stock fender with that horrible coccyx just for the license plate light though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I did the Yoshimura fender eliminator and it looks great but the instructions do not match up for the 300F and you have to improvise a few times and find extra bolts for the cowl piece. 100x better than the stock fender with that horrible coccyx just for the license plate light though.
Fender eliminator is also one of my top ones, although I know there are some guys that rather dump that money into exhaust, sliders, or something else along those lines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Tires for sure are the best mod, what this guy says is pretty true from another website, the 300 is a big step up in refinement over the 250 the vibration problem is gone and is now smooth as butter:

"...Changing tires was the first thing to do on our list. So off with the stock IRC's and on with the Rear 140/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Tire...and the Front 110/70R-17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! It totally transformed the bike from a good handling bike that can get slippery do to the oem tires to a bike that handles even quicker and sticks to the road many times better. This is probably the one single biggest improvement that can be made to the Honda CBR 300. You may be able to modify your Honda CBR 300 for faster speed but unless you can ride that power, whats the point?
Is it extremely noticeable? I have a brand new bike and my tires are in great condition, but they are OEM tires. Would it be something that would make me feel more comfortable riding in the rain etc?

·
Registered
16 Posts
the stock tires are 'ok' until around 5000 kilometers than they start to harden, thats when it really gets slippery. The roadwinners dont give warning before letting loose, they just let go.

Where as a Pirelli will skip a little then regrip and its totally predictable. Or when on track tires theyll slide a little then regrip.

Yes improvement in handling is very noticeable, the profile of the roadwinner is abrupt when transitioning to the sides, the profile of a pirelli is smoother and not as abrupt.

in the rain you will also feel it gripping better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the stock tires are 'ok' until around 5000 kilometers than they start to harden, thats when it really gets slippery. The roadwinners dont give warning before letting loose, they just let go.

Where as a Pirelli will skip a little then regrip and its totally predictable. Or when on track tires theyll slide a little then regrip.

Yes improvement in handling is very noticeable, the profile of the roadwinner is abrupt when transitioning to the sides, the profile of a pirelli is smoother and not as abrupt.

in the rain you will also feel it gripping better.
Thanks a lot. I'll get some more use out of my tires since they are new but I'll keep that in mind for my next set!

·
Registered
21 Posts
With the fender eliminate have you ridden it in the rain yet?. If so did you get a wet back?
I don't think it's possible - there is only 1-2" of exposed wheel below the license plate - even then, riding in the rain I'm dressed to get completely covered in water, so it wouldn't matter.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Adding mirror extenders is probably the single best thing I think you could do to this bike. I was debating bar end mirrors, and even bought a pair, but after thinking about lane splitting at lights in city traffic with the additional handlebar width at the height of most car mirrors, I decided to keep the stock mirrors and put these risers/extenders on. I can actually see what's behind me now without restricting my ability to get through cars too much.

Source: ebay ~$20, 10mm, both right hand threaded.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get the F. You'll love it :) I just bought mine last week and it's excellent. Perfect for driving around town and also handles small road trips quite well.. I managed to get up to 140km/h for top speed which is not too bad for what it is.
As for mods I'm definitely going to switching out the factory exhaust for a carbon fibre yoshimura one and maybe add a k&n filter to wake the bike up a bit :)
140hm/h ?? LOL ,, how is that your top speed, I can get my cbr300r up to 170km/h on the highway

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you be able to post the (mirror extensions) seller's name? Lots of vendors offering these on EBay and I'd hate to buy something with the wrong thread pattern.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts